New York Taxidermy Mount Post

Muzzy

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice mount joe! i like the sneek look.  edwards big buck but i cant say i've ever seen folds on a buck in rut.

Thats my first full sneak mount.. I have a few right and left turn semi-sneaks.. so I thought the full sneak would be different... I caught this buck after following him all afternoon crossing a huge grass lot... I grunted him in from about 200 yards and this is the last look he had before the lead flew at about 60 yards!! I kept swinging my son around as I tracked the buck to try and get him a shot at it, my son was just out of sight of the grass lot in the woods.

The ones on the face and the others where the neck bends (inside of the bend).

The taxidermist put creases and folds in the cape, like it would look if it didnt have the swelling, thick coat and extra fat that they typically have in the fall and winter months. I have seen other mounts that are like that, and they just dont look natural. Its like the Taxidermist was going overboard with detail.

For example, look at Joe's mount. That is what a deer looks like naturally. Then go look at the other one (last on the previous page) and it just looks unnatural.

• 1 month later...

Well I will pipe in a little about the folds. On some forms with the extreme turns you are going to have those wrinkles no matter what a taxidemist does. A lot of times when a customer comes in and wants a turn like that I explain to them that there are going to be wrinkles and show him or her what they will look like. Just turn your neck to the side one side will be tight the other side wrinkles.

If you are not looking for as much detail then that is a good time to explain to your taxidermist what you are expecting. I go over every detail with my customer to make sure that we are both on the same thought process.

I have also had customers come in with a long haired cape and want all the details. I show them a picture of my bald head and explain when the deers hair is that short I can do whatever they want. When it is long there are not going to be hardly any details.

Hope this helps the shorter the hair the more details, teh more radical of a turn the more wrinkles you will have.

Joe

I didn’t realize that being a site moderator allows you to publically cast your opinion and slam someone else’s trophy and mount.

My opinion is this is a hunting forum were guys & gals can post pics of their mounts and if you want to have your mounts critiqued by other taxidermist who actually know what they are talking about you go to the taxidermy site forum. If you would like to discuss anatomy I have 100's of reference photos in my shop that depict the rolling effect (folds) caused by a sharp turn, loose skin along the jaw and facial veins. The details you see are detailed into the form by the sculptor [Joe Coombs, the first World Champion taxidermist, has been a wildlife artist since his childhood. Always innovative with new poses and the finest anatomical detail, Joe's forms represent a lifetime of commitment to achieving perfection as a wildlife artist and manufacturer of products for other artists who demand the very best.]. But I guess you know more than him huh. The other detail you lack knowledge on is that this buck was taken at the end of the rut (the buck dressed 165# and carried the frame of a 220# buck) He had lost the majority of his body fat and was badly worn down and torn up from fighting. This may shock you but having mounted many deer some deer have thicker hair just like people, thinner hair shows more detail.

Whether you like it or not is irrelevant this deer was mounted to the same criteria with attention to anatomical detail as a master's level competition peace. The cape is commercially tanned, the eyes are competition quality, inner ear detail is cast in, septum is cast, nictitating membrane and carnucle are present.

In the end what really matters to me is I mounted a guy’s once in a lifetime trophy buck to his specifications and to the best of my ability. He was very happy.

Actually any member is open to add their opinion on any topic...moderator or not. Don't take a burn, Taxidermy is an art and just like any other form of art it will appeal to some and not to others. No artwork will be unversally accepted and praised. Picasso doesnt really do it for me...I don't like them.

I didn’t realize that being a site moderator allows you to publically cast your opinion and slam someone else’s trophy and mount.

My opinion is this is a hunting forum were guys & gals can post pics of their mounts and if you want to have your mounts critiqued by other taxidermist who actually know what they are talking about you go to the taxidermy site forum. If you would like to discuss anatomy I have 100's of reference photos in my shop that depict the rolling effect (folds) caused by a sharp turn, loose skin along the jaw and facial veins. The details you see are detailed into the form by the sculptor [Joe Coombs, the first World Champion taxidermist, has been a wildlife artist since his childhood. Always innovative with new poses and the finest anatomical detail, Joe's forms represent a lifetime of commitment to achieving perfection as a wildlife artist and manufacturer of products for other artists who demand the very best.]. But I guess you know more than him huh. The other detail you lack knowledge on is that this buck was taken at the end of the rut (the buck dressed 165# and carried the frame of a 220# buck) He had lost the majority of his body fat and was badly worn down and torn up from fighting. This may shock you but having mounted many deer some deer have thicker hair just like people, thinner hair shows more detail.

Whether you like it or not is irrelevant this deer was mounted to the same criteria with attention to anatomical detail as a master's level competition peace. The cape is commercially tanned, the eyes are competition quality, inner ear detail is cast in, septum is cast, nictitating membrane and carnucle are present.

In the end what really matters to me is I mounted a guy’s once in a lifetime trophy buck to his specifications and to the best of my ability. He was very happy.

Did you just say that Im not allowed to have an opinion because Im a moderator? I dont like the mount, and I dont care who did it. Thats my opinion, and its not my problem if you dont like it. We still live in America, and even Moderators have the freedom of speech.

I agree everyone is entitled to an opinion, picasso was a great artist ! world renowned even..dont care for his stuff either.... i dont think the quality is bad, i just would of picked a different more natural form.... i watched deer for over 30 years and dont remember seeing folds like that, even when dead and head turned around for photos at extreem angles, they might exist.. like a body builder at a compaition, that isnt natural either to me.....

Yep, that buck is big. I hate how they put all of the folds into the skin on the mount though, its a deer, not a shar pei.

They are there because the Taxidermist went overboard

The ones on the face and the others where the neck bends (inside of the bend).

The taxidermist put creases and folds in the cape, like it would look if it didnt have the swelling, thick coat and extra fat that they typically have in the fall and winter months. I have seen other mounts that are like that, and they just dont look natural. Its like the Taxidermist was going overboard with detail.

For example, look at Joe's mount. That is what a deer looks like naturally. Then go look at the other one (last on the previous page) and it just looks unnatural.

The bold statements you made are a slam towards my customer's mount not your opinion, and I didn't intend to tell you as a moderator you cannot cast your opion rather as a moderator you are not entitled to bash someone else or their trophy.

I am looking at the September 2011 Monster Bucks calendar and the buck in the photo is in the same pose and I can easily see 4 rolls in the hide, how unnatural.

I never said my mount was perfect. I will be the first to point out any flaws in any mount I have done, I posted these NY buck pictures on this site to show what we have in NY for trophy potential if you let them mature and cull does, not to dispute my work or any one elses.

The bold statements you made are a slam towards my customer's mount not your opinion, and I didn't intend to tell you as a moderator you cannot cast your opion rather as a moderator you are not entitled to bash someone else or their trophy.

I am looking at the September 2011 Monster Bucks calendar and the buck in the photo is in the same pose and I can easily see 4 rolls in the hide, how unnatural.

I never said my mount was perfect. I will be the first to point out any flaws in any mount I have done, I posted these NY buck pictures on this site to show what we have in NY for trophy potential if you let them mature and cull does, not to dispute my work or any one elses.

First off, who the....do you think you are to tell me what I can and cannot say? Second, you can take my comments however you would like to, but they are nothing more than my opinion, which I am allowed to have regardless of what you think I should or should not be able to have.