Two-day hunt gear suggestions

CuseHunter

I plan on going on a hunting trip this year, spending two to three days in the woods. I just want to try new things this year and a longer hunting trip is one of them. I would love to hear what you guys have to recommend. I am on a limited budget as I am a full time college student and work full time to stay afloat.

Biggest areas of concern is what kind of tent is best, and what size/kind of pack would you use?

It will be right now for whitetail hunting here in ny. Not sure where. I want to find a place with lots of land so I can really get in deep, hopefully where some big deer are. It will be any time of the hunting season here. I was thinking about spending the money on a badlands 2200 or 2800. They seem worth the money.

Take a look at the backpacking sites for some decent gear.  Also go with the best and lightest gear you can afford.  The less weight you have to carry the better.  There are a lot of ultralight tents out there that will work well.  Also I'd recommend looking at the floorless tarp or tipi type shelters with a stove jack if you plan to go later in the season when the temperatures drop.  I picked up a golite Shangri-la 3 this year and if I just use the fly without the nest it's around 2 lbs.

Also, if you are planning to go in deep you want gear you can rely on to pack out your camp and meat.  The last thing you want when you are 10 miles into the back country and have a deer on the ground is a pack failure.  Badlands have gotten a pretty bad rap lately due to unreliability.  They have a lifetime warranty, but that doesn't really help when you are in the field.  The Eberlestock packs are reasonably priced and are built better in my opinion.  I've tried a lot of different packs over the years and I finally bucked up and bought a Mystery Ranch (actually 2).  I'm sure they are outside your budget as a college student but they are bombproof.  The Kifaru packs are in the same league also but I've never tried one.  Don't limit yourself to just hunting packs either, regular backpacking packs will work too but you won't get any cool camo patterns.        

If you are going alone(Which I really don't recommend) I have used. a hammock tent. Light (at 3 to 4 pounds), water and bug proof. invest in a good sleeping bag and pack. If you are goingf when there can be very cold temps or snow I wouldn't suggest sleeping in a hammock though.

I'm in the army reserves and have a nice army issued three piece sleeping bag that I'm happy to use :) I will be tenting in the winter so I definitely need a 4 season tent or canvas teepee with fire stove to stay warm. A hammock would be nice if I was in Florida.

High Calorie protein bars, toilet paper, lots of water, etc.  Also, I'd suggest you tell some people where and for how long you are going. If you break a leg or something and your several miles in, you might not make it out alive by yourself. 

Only 2 days...?

You'll prolly get by on a sammich and a can of Coke if you ration youself. If you chew through that, make sure you got a cell phone on ya so you can have a pizza deliverd,lol!

Find an old uprooted tree to shelter under and make sure you dress warm before you go.

A lighter.., a titty magazine.., and a shot of gasoline, will fit in your pocket for when you feel cold and lonely!

• Like 2

I recommend sticking with external frame packs - easy to tie other items on and distribution the weight better.

I have backpacked with and internal frame pack and an external frame.  Much easier carrying a load up/down terrain with the external frame - wished I bought that inside of the internal frame one.

Have to re-pack sleeping bag just right to put back in the pack's sleeping-bag compartment with the internal frame.  But it is nice having an extra layer to keep the bag dry in bad weather.

If you are packing in and then hunting, camo does not matter.  I have carried a dark blue pack and an orange pack - observed deer with both.  The deer just walked slowly away when they saw me.

I carry the following every camp out:

• two knives(one on me and the other in the pack)
  • sharpening stone
  • 3 methods for starting fire - matches, lighter, hot-spark kit
  • cotton dryer lint (excellent fire tinder)
  • fire starter sticks for damp weather use
  • extra knit hat, gloves, and socks
  • instant body warmer heat packs
  • hatchet
  • lip balm
  • 10-15 ft twine
  • 25 ft rope
  • extra tent stakes
  • TP (for intended use plus as knapkins, to dry off utensils, facial tissue)
  • fleece vest for extra-layer if needed
  • backpack poncho (Fits over you and the pack for rain cover)
  • headlamp with extra batteries
  • a small flashlight (AA maglite) as a backup for headlamp failure
  • Loud whistle for signaling or scare off predators, like bears
  • sleeping bag rated for the temperature range expected

May want a pair of lightweight slip-on shoes if you need a nature-call late at night. 

I would recommend a water filter/purifer too.  Unless you want to wait for the 5 min. boil, or like the taste of iodine flavored water.

By the way, some bottle/canteen materials soak up the iodine taste permanently.

Get a good ground-pad to insulate you from the cold ground.  Suggest piling up lots of leaves/pine needles, put down a ground cloth, then pitch tent over that.  Sleep warmer and more comfortable that way!

I recommend sticking with external frame packs - easy to tie other items on and distribution the weight better.

I have backpacked with and internal frame pack and an external frame. Much easier carrying a load up/down terrain with the external frame - wished I bought that inside of the internal frame one.

Have to re-pack sleeping bag just right to put back in the pack's sleeping-bag compartment with the internal frame. But it is nice having an extra layer to keep the bag dry in bad weather.

If you are packing in and then hunting, camo does not matter. I have carried a dark blue pack and an orange pack - observed deer with both. The deer just walked slowly away when they saw me.

I carry the following every camp out:

two knives(one on me and the other in the pack)

sharpening stone

3 methods for starting fire - matches, lighter, hot-spark kit

cotton dryer lint (excellent fire tinder)

fire starter sticks for damp weather use

extra knit hat, gloves, and socks

instant body warmer heat packs

hatchet

lip balm

10-15 ft twine

25 ft rope

extra tent stakes

TP (for intended use plus as knapkins, to dry off utensils, facial tissue)

fleece vest for extra-layer if needed

backpack poncho (Fits over you and the pack for rain cover)

headlamp with extra batteries

a small flashlight (AA maglite) as a backup for headlamp failure

Loud whistle for signaling or scare off predators, like bears

sleeping bag rated for the temperature range expected

May want a pair of lightweight slip-on shoes if you need a nature-call late at night.

I would recommend a water filter/purifer too. Unless you want to wait for the 5 min. boil, or like the taste of iodine flavored water.

By the way, some bottle/canteen materials soak up the iodine taste permanently.

Get a good ground-pad to insulate you from the cold ground. Suggest piling up lots of leaves/pine needles, put down a ground cloth, then pitch tent over that. Sleep warmer and more comfortable that way!

I like the simplistic way here, I might just plan a early season like November camping trip to try out a long hike to Unchartered territory.

Any suggestions of large parks that would be great to go for a long hunt for whitetail here in NY?

If you plan on doing this on a yearly basis I would suggest spending a decent amount of money on a good 4 season tent and good lightweight pack. I have a Eureka alpenlite xt tent that is absolutely amazing. I've had it for 5-6 years now and have spent many winter nights in it. Big enough for you and your gear, stays bone dry, and is pretty light. It is a bit pricey (~$250 when i bought it) but definitely worth it. And my pack is the Cabelas Alaskan outfitter series frame pack. Thing has been through hell and back. It too is pricey (~$200 when I bought it) but worth it. I know you said you were on a tight budget, but some things for camping are definitely worth spending money on and to me these are a couple of them. Just my 2 cents.

Whatever gear you choose, try it all out before the trip...preferably on another overnight. Even the "best" gear can end up useless if it isn't seriously tested to purpose ahead of time. You may want to try some of the larger and little used game management areas the state offers. We used to overnight in Happy Valley for a w/e of hunting, which was easily done from the car.

If you plan on doing this on a yearly basis I would suggest spending a decent amount of money on a good 4 season tent and good lightweight pack. I have a Eureka alpenlite xt tent that is absolutely amazing. I've had it for 5-6 years now and have spent many winter nights in it. Big enough for you and your gear, stays bone dry, and is pretty light. It is a bit pricey (~$250 when i bought it) but definitely worth it. And my pack is the Cabelas Alaskan outfitter series frame pack. Thing has been through hell and back. It too is pricey (~$200 when I bought it) but worth it. I know you said you were on a tight budget, but some things for camping are definitely worth spending money on and to me these are a couple of them. Just my 2 cents.

I've decided spending the money on a good tent is invaluable as well as having a good pack to keep everything dry and comfortable to hike in. Thanks for the help, I'll have to save the next pay check and shell it out in gear

I have not camped and hunted as a combined trip yet.  Want to try it some time, but wife doe not want be to be out alone for safety reasons.  Son is busy building sets for fall stage productions as a member of the tech crew - if he makes manager, he will be out for most of the hunting season for deer due to rehearsals.

The only area I know of to camp and hunt are the Catskills.  I suspect the same is possible for the Adirondacks.  Around me camping is not allow during big game season, or it is a area that does not allow hunting and prohibits any firearms/archery but you can camp all year.

You definitely want good quality gear and take care of it so it does not let you down.  Carry an extra flashlight, it really sucks when changing the batteries don't fix the issue because the bulb failed - and that was in a mag-lite led mini-light.  No light, no way to change out the bulb in the dark.

When getting a tent, you still need to seal the seams - even pre-sealed ones, even on the fly.  You do not want leaky seams in the rain. A wet sleeping bag is a freezing cold bag. 

A solo tent is just that, one person with sleeping bag - no gear. 

If planning on storing gear (never any food) in the tent, then go for 2 person tent. 

A 2-3 person tent is too big to solo in cold weather - did that in the after a snow storm (as in 2 feet with some white-out conditions) and then had another 3-4 inches fall while camping.  Did not sleep well, cold all night long in a 0 degree mummy bag with a fleece liner bag, winter coat on top of bag, and wearing a knit hat.

Cold weather tip - bring a bag to put boots in and sleep on top of the boots to keep them from freezing.  We had 3 people in a four-man tent on January trip.  I slept on top of my boots.  I had the only pair of boots that would open up and the laces worked.  So I drew campfire duty to thaw out their boots.  At least they cooked breakfast.

To save some funds, check out end-of season sales, outlet stores of REI or Coleman, and yard sales.  For car camping, I picked up a Coleman 3 burner stove from the '50's or 60's at a yard sale for $35.  Only needed to clean it and get a new fuel cap for the tank to get it pressurized.

My favorite place is Campmoor for camp supplies.  Their only store is in NJ, but everything can be ordered online.  Their staff does go camping, biking, kayaking, and climbing, so they know their gear.

--Stephen

If you google ny state parks with cabins you'll find them then find which ones allow hunting, I know there are several, some in central ny and some in the western tier. Or you can find state trails with lean-tos that allow hunting. I know of one near Windham but I'm sure there are others. Good luck.

I found a park that might work well, in south east Monroe county. It's called Charles baker state forest. Seems very large, but I don't like the fact there are access roads running through it, which divides the property up, which is not what I want as I want to go deep in past where the average joe would go.