So who here has had....

growalot

Had Arthroscopic surgery on both knees several years ago, one at a time. Believe it or not, for such a seemingly minor surgery it'll take weeks to get back to where you can be mobile. It also depends on what they have to fix when they put the scope in your knee. My doctor kept me out of work for 12 weeks both times. I felt I was ready at ~6 weeks, but it was summertime and who was I to argue with a doctor..! Pain, again it depends on the extent of the repairs. Sure there's pain, but Tylenol III is wonderful stuff, (disclaimer) when used responsibly.

I had it done to both Knees, but not at the same time and both sholders also not at the same time.Had all done in the ER, in and out the same day. releived pain in all.My doctor was aslo a strict beleiver in theraphy afterwoods, which mostlikley helped all done 10 -15 years ago and no problems since. :biggrin:

Edited by OMG

Not sure if Arthroscopic is similar to Laparoscopic or not? I had arthroscopic knee surgery in 2008 to repair meniscus tear and to clean up some debris. Had little to no pain afterwards. Stopped pain meds ~18hrs after surgery. The day after surgery, the doctor called to see how I was doing. Told him I had stopped the pain meds already and asked when I could start walking on it, without crutches. He said as soon as I felt like I could. I was walking on it 24hrs after surgery. I was ~100% within a week! That was 5 years ago and I've never had any problems with it since.

I know of 3 other people that has had this surgery. They were all very worried about pain and being laid up a long time. I told them about my experience. All 3 of them had the same experience as I did, little to no pain, and back to normal within a week.

Of course, it all depends on what they need to repair... 

I work with several orthopaedic surgeons that specialize in knee surgery.  The above anecdotes are pretty common with this type of surgery, BUT it really all depends on what you are getting repaired? Any more information??

Also, if you seriously have questions you should talk to your doctor. Especially if you already have had your pre-op appointment. 

Good luck with everything!

I Had Arthroscopic surgery on my left knee and 2 days later was out in the fields shooting woodchucks . About 7 years later I had a partial knee replacement on the same knee as it was bone on bone . Had the replacement done in the spring so it would be ready for fall bow season . The surgeon said no more ladders and I said that's how I get into my stands .

Hey,

I'm a resident anesthesiologist and I have seen many knee scopes done. Several things: laparoscopy is scoping through the abdomen, arthroscopy is scoping a joint (clarification for above). Now, having a knee scope can entail many things, from just debridement of some joint tissue or bone spurs, etc all the way to tendon repair, therefore post-operative pain and rehabilitation varies. In terms of pain management, there are several options: some surgeons request a peripheral nerve block which is done by an anesthesiologist (usually) and is for post-operative pain and sometimes a means of providing anesthesia. I have done many blocks and have never had a patient tell me they regret getting a nerve block. However, some surgeons do not want nerve blocks (for whatever reason) and sometimes it depends on the extent of the surgery which dictates the efficacy of the block. Most surgeons will send you home with a prescription for an opioid aka narcotic (however narcotic is a legal term for an opioid an is misused in medicine but is more recognizable to the lay person), usually vicodin, lortab, percocet, etc. One thing I tell people is to take them as soon as you start to feel pain, as if you wait until your pain is 6+/10, then you are playing catch-up and will likely be uncomfortable for a while. If you don't need an opioid, tylenol works better than most people give it credit. Some surgeons are okay with patients taking NSAIDs afterwards, some not...so check. In terms of recovery/rehab, from what I have seen, most patients will start physical therapy a week or so after the surgery. Some people recover quickly and some not so, as you can imagine.

This is by no means a comprehensive attempt to address your questions, but hopefully a good place to start. Luck in surgery!

Thanks for the answers guys and the clarifications...

I can handle a lot of pain..really I did this at the beginning of April and have "dealt" with it while working the place all summer..not until the other day when it was making me feel a tad "crazy" did I finally say enough....I'm allergic to all anti-inflammatory and hate taking pills so have only used the occasional over the counter non aspirin pain med..

I should have popped a few before the appointment. because by the time he was done poking ..pulling and rotating my knee...... I pretty much lost my mind half way through...thus the "scope mix up"...my concentration turned to x-rays...MRI and calling the surgeon...He is actually a sports Dr.for the local private college ...proudly displaying the yearly Football teams on his walls...so deals with this all the time....I just needed real patient confirmation on his saying that recovery could take 3 days to 3wks...They won't know more until they see whats happening under my knee cap...he suspects I broke the cartridge....It's developed a very loud ..sickening popping as well ...

He thinks if I'm bent on holding off...have to see what the surgeon says...I'd best choose one or the other ...forgo archery and gun hunt or do archery and surgery during gun season...that he doesn't think I'll last through both

i was confused when out of the blue he started saying not to worry about the steel it is surgical...then explained that the steel plate in my leg and the nut they left in my ankle after a previous accident...wouldn't rip out of me in the MRI...it didn't hold magnetic properties....LOL well that's nice to know!...Gee hope the last surgeon didn't cheap out with the nut he left in my ankle...hahaha :O:D

(sp)

Edited by growalot

Grow .... Good luck with the surgery .... Stick to the rehab as much as possible and do every thing they tell you to do and you'll come back even better than before !  I broke my knee in 4 places a few years ago and I stuck to the rigorous rehab/therapy  and I came back stronger than before !

After playing Phone tag today with everyone...the Dr. call ...Good news...so far x-rays show no breaks.. :D But he scheduled me for the MRI on Sept 3rd...hey collectively cross fingers...and if inclined say a prayer that I won't need surgery after all...though the pain...not good...I can still have hope

Had Arthroscopic surgery to clean up some scar tissue in my knee from a collision playing football in high school.

One day of pain meds, maybe a week of OTC Tylenol after the surgery when needed.

A week or two after surgery drove myself back to college.

Needed 3 months of PT to build strength back up as I had been limping on it for several months beforehand.

Took 4-5 months to get full flex range back.

Sometimes change of season or really cold weather still bothers it.

Had to stop running/jogging, as it's just not the same since high school.  I can run for 1-2 minutes at most, then the knee says time to start walking.  Sucks since I was a distance runner in high school.

I can still backpack or kick the brush all afternoon for bunnies and birds.

Regret the surgery, no. My knee use to lock up some days and then on another it would just give while walking on a sidewalk.  Those days are behind me.

If PT resolves the issue, you will have faster recovery than to have surgery, and then wait 3-6 weeks to start PT.

i had my acl replaced and the tunnel where they attached it to my leg opened up and a cyst pops out and when it does it pushes thru my tendons and causes extreme pain, they are going in to remove it, he said 5 days light duty no pain killers prescribed, I wouldnt take them anyway,