Rabbits

I can't wait to get back out stomping them again.  This was our best day last yr, we didn't have a dog & jumped them all on foot.  Kicked out about a dozen that got away.  We were West of Rochester, in Bergen.  My Girlfriend and my buddy did most of the shooting, I was playing beagle.  I think this will be a good year, been seeing a lot of them around.  Anybody else get into it?

post-1188-0-31303600-1377357620_thumb.jp

• Like 1

After my Lab died (Yes, she was one helluva rabbit dog...both cottontails and snowshoes), I, too, had to resort to hunting without a dog. I/We still do well. We usually hunt with only 1-3 guys, and often bag 3-4 rabbits. Great fun...Great eating!

We generally see them running around everywhere in the spring and early summer. But by the time bunny season rolls around they get mighty scarce. Yes the foxes and coyotes probably are responsible for a lot of the carnage, but I think the jillions of hawks that seem to be everywhere do a heck of a job on them.

I can't wait to get back out stomping them again. This was our best day last yr, we didn't have a dog & jumped them all on foot. Kicked out about a dozen that got away. We were West of Rochester, in Bergen. My Girlfriend and my buddy did most of the shooting, I was playing beagle. I think this will be a good year, been seeing a lot of them around. Anybody else get into it?

Nice shooting and looks like fun with the group! I especially like the hat on the left!

We generally see them running around everywhere in the spring and early summer. But by the time bunny season rolls around they get mighty scarce. Yes the foxes and coyotes probably are responsible for a lot of the carnage, but I think the jillions of hawks that seem to be everywhere do a heck of a job on them.

Same here I see them every other day on my front lawn, but when the season starts they are long gone and nowhere to be see go figure....

I miss those days hunting rabbit, dove and quail.  Now the family farm is gone.  My great uncles' that had the beagles have passed on as well.  I moved to NY for better job opportunities several years ago, so I not hunted with my dad in 10 years.  Too expensive to get an out-of-state license to hunt only a couple days (no Sunday hunts back home) when go back to visit on some weekends.

Of course the foxes moved in an took out most of the rabbits before the land was sold.  Now I only see a rabbit in the yard by the garden (that bunny is never in season as I live in town), and see a couple others after sunset as I drive out from a deer hunt.

Maybe I just need a rabbit dog for the local public lands.  Maybe the wife will let me get a dog that bays while hot on tail of a rabbit - not!!

• 3 weeks later...