Robo deer....

josephmrtn

I've heard of a 10 pointer they put on dec lands in putnam county. There are a couple pieces of land you can't shoot any bucks the first 2 days of gun season. They put the 10pt and guys shoot it lol.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, I have seen a couple of programs on TV where some of these lowlife poachers get caught with the use o a robo-deer. It's actually kind of funny. What can these guys say when they are observed (and taped) laying their gun across the hood of the truck and blasting away? .... lol. Now there is a style of entrapment that I whole-heartedly applaud. The only thing is that you have to wonder how many deer these creeps took before they actually got caught.

• Like 1

My uncle was telling me that him and one of his friends were spotlighting near their camp in St. Lawrence County. They put the light on one buck and were surrounded by law enforcement within a minute. There were no houses around no firearms in the vehicle everything was completely legal they were let go with an apology.

• Like 2

I've been told they put one if the decoy deer out on my road frequently in the fall. And for as many times as they have done it there are enough fools out there that still jump out and shoot at it. I was told one local fella nailed it good and not only was he fined in the process but also had to pay for the damage to the decoy. Lol!

My uncle was telling me that him and one of his friends were spotlighting near their camp in St. Lawrence County. They put the light on one buck and were surrounded by law enforcement within a minute. There were no houses around no firearms in the vehicle everything was completely legal they were let go with an apology.

Is spotlighting illegal anyway even without firearms in the car! Not looking to bust your uncles chops but I think I heard that somewhere??? Need someone to enLIGHTen me!

it IS legal... 

Spotlighting

You may use lights to observe deer and bear under the following conditions:

• You are not within 500 feet of a home or farm building, unless you have permission from the owner or lessee.
  • While in or on a motor vehicle and operating a light and no person has a firearm or bow unless:
    • the firearm is taken down or the bow is unstrung, or
    • the firearm is securely fastened in a case, or
    • the firearm is locked in the trunk of the vehicle, or
    • the firearm is a handgun.
  • For information on hunting furbearers at night, see the Small Game and Furbearer Regulations.
  • Like 1

Is spotlighting illegal anyway even without firearms in the car! Not looking to bust your uncles chops but I think I heard that somewhere??? Need someone to enLIGHTen me!

Nope it is completely legal as long as there are no firearms or bow in the vehicle( or they are taken down properly to DEC's definition) and you are 500 feet away from a house.

They got a few guys with it right next to our lease a half dirt have hard road runs through ,my buddy watched em shoot it and he said they got stopped by the Dec and ticketed but they got to keep this nice buck, I was like that sounds unusual but who knows , go to work a day later and a girl at work was tellin me she knew who it was and it was a decoy buck my buddy never actually saw em take the deer just assumed glad they were caught we have a bad problem on the dirt road that runs through our lease , caught a guy last year said he shot a 10 point from the dirt road out in our field thought he hit it, told him to get lost , went and checked it out and he missed but still posted signs every where and people still think they,can shoot on our lease,

They should set them up year round...  :biggrin:   I have no objection to spotlighting as a scouting tool as long as its not FOR hunting...  I bring one many years but I am so tired after setting up camp then hunting the entire day that all I can do is eat dinner and sleep, repeat...  After hunting hard all day, jumping into the truck and staring into the woods for a hour or so is uninviting...  Food sounds much better and has yet to loose this battle...  So many people get caught with loaded guns, crazy!!! :hunter:     I know of some spots they have had them but will not tell...  I do not like poachers!  They give us a bad reputation.  I just wish the DEC did it more often and in more areas. :yes:

Years ago me and a friend were hunting state land. We were driving down a road and it was getting late, but still light enough to see. There was a truck stopped ahead of us and the guy had his rifle out over the hood. Then we see that he was aiming at a deer way out in a field. They guy saw us stopped behind him but didn't care. We were watching the deer through binos and the other guy just kept his scope on it. My friend yelled to him "you aint shooting from the road are you?" and the guy never flinched. It finally got so dark that we drove off as the guy was getting back into his truck. We spent a good 10-15 minutes there and the deer never moved. To this day I think it was one of those fake DEC deer and that guy would have shot if we weren't there.