retrieving after kill

kubbie

I'm a new bow Hunter this season. I know I am not allowed to carry my side arm with me while hunting archery but am I allowed to after I take my deer? I'll put the bow away then get my pistol for protection while I drag the animal out?

protection from?...nothing in those woods that will attack you...

I'm a new bow Hunter this season. I know I am not allowed to carry my side arm with me while hunting archery but am I allowed to after I take my deer? I'll put the bow away then get my pistol for protection while I drag the animal out?

No, you cannot carry your side arm. You will be forced to fend off, whatever it is you are afraid of, with your bare hands.

This is from the DEC website.

Handgun

Question: Can I carry my handgun while hunting?
Answer:
In some cases, yes, provided that you possess a valid New York State pistol permit. New York state does not recognize pistol permits from other states. You cannot carry a handgun if you are archery or muzzleloader hunting during those special seasons. Contact an ECO for more detailed information.

Question: I hold a New York State Pistol Permit, can I carry my handgun while bow hunting or muzzleloader hunting?
Answer:
No, even though you possess a valid pistol permit to carry the handgun, the Environmental Conservation Law (ECL) prohibits it.

Question: Can I carry a handgun while hunting with a bow during the regular big game season?
Answer:
Yes. You may not however, carry a firearm while archery hunting during a special archery season.

A number of ago I killed a buck that a coyote pushed right to me.  It was during archery season and he came right behind the buck by 15 seconds.  I tried to get an arrow in him but he spotted me PDQ.  He busted out and only went 150 yards or so and kept howling for a bit.  I didn't like that so took the long way around to my truck.  I returned after an hour with a 12ga 870 and big ballz as I was alone at camp.  I found the buck, dressed him and hauled azz out of there back to the truck.  The song dog made me a bit nervous in the pitch dark and all.  AS ALWAYS, YMMV!!

If I'd have had a "piece" at camp, I'd have had that instead of the much better protection of the 870.

My place is loaded with bears. Brother shot a doe some years ago and left it where it died (50 yards from him gutted) continued to hunt and a mother and cubs came around to check out the dead deer. We had a hard time making them leave at dark. It would be nice to carry it for that one reason. 

I know a TON of bow hunters around here and lets just say you won't be the only one packing.

I carry everyday everywhere. As far as the woods that's a normal place for guns, as well as hillbillies ,thieves poachers ,pot growers ,wild dogs.

Again NYS is behind the times many allow carry while bow hunting, ya know the law is you can't shoot the deer with a gun in bow,do we need another saying you can carry one ?

You really think ill poach a deer with a pocket 380 or snubby? Hell my bow shoots way tighter groups at 40 yards....

Concealed carry means well CONCEALED. Don't sweat it tons of guys are carring during bow just fine.

Here ya go 32 states allow it.

https://www.huntingclub.com/blogs/articletype/articleview/articleid/13507/bowhunters-do-you-carry-a-handgun#.UikKf8u9KSM

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 2

This is from the DEC website.

Handgun

Question: Can I carry my handgun while hunting?

Answer: In some cases, yes, provided that you possess a valid New York State pistol permit. New York state does not recognize pistol permits from other states. You cannot carry a handgun if you are archery or muzzleloader hunting during those special seasons. Contact an ECO for more detailed information.

Question: I hold a New York State Pistol Permit, can I carry my handgun while bow hunting or muzzleloader hunting?

Answer: No, even though you possess a valid pistol permit to carry the handgun, the Environmental Conservation Law (ECL) prohibits it.

Question: Can I carry a handgun while hunting with a bow during the regular big game season?

Answer: Yes. You may not however, carry a firearm while archery hunting during a special archery season.

But, if you have secured the bow in your car or at home, you are no longer "archery or muzzleloader hunting"

......I'd make a call to DEC on that one.

By the way, when getting a ruling on questions of this nature from the DEC, be sure you get a name. Or better yet, make your questions using e-mail or some other written media. I suspect that a J.P. or judge might not accept "well somebody at the DEC told me", as a provable excuse.  

• Like 2

But, if you have secured the bow in your car or at home, you are no longer "archery or muzzleloader hunting"

Not true, you are still pursuing game during an archery or ML season. Its one of those grey areas that might get you a ticket.

Would I personally worry about it? Nope. I wont say weather or not I carry during bow season, but its almost a rarity to not find my handgun on me.

Shot a nice buck a couple years ago with my bow, let it sit  two hours and when I got back, there were coyotes howling less than 100 yards from me.  yes I was a little freaked out gutting a deer and expecting to look up to a pack of coyotes lol but they never bothered me.  They'll be scared of you and your lights to the point where they won't bother you either. 

I know a TON of bow hunters around here and lets just say you won't be the only one packing.

I carry everyday everywhere. As far as the woods that's a normal place for guns, as well as hillbillies ,thieves poachers ,pot growers ,wild dogs.

Again NYS is behind the times many allow carry while bow hunting, ya know the law is you can't shoot the deer with a gun in bow,do we need another saying you can carry one ?

You really think ill poach a deer with a pocket 380 or snubby? Hell my bow shoots way tighter groups at 40 yards....

Concealed carry means well CONCEALED. Don't sweat it tons of guys are carring during bow just fine.

Here ya go 32 states allow it.

https://www.huntingclub.com/blogs/articletype/articleview/articleid/13507/bowhunters-do-you-carry-a-handgun#.UikKf8u9KSM

Agreed!  And I don't see a DEC officer hassleing you about a personal protection piece nicely concealed.  If you are carrying around a S&W 44 with a scope, then you are an a idiot.  lol

IF it is before sunset you might get away with it depending the judge.As a former member of Deer Search Inc. We would have to notify the NYS police when and where we were retriving a deer or bear, we were allowed to carry a fire arm Not the hunter.

Yet I know of hunters while archery huntying trying to get down from tree stands that had packs of wild dogs at the base of the tree not letting them get down, one I know shot 9 wild dogs to get down.t all depends on the judge if you get caught and go to court.Last year around me the ECON offesers were really inforcing the DEC laws.A lot of people got fined and went to court.

• Like 1

IF it is before sunset you might get away with it depending the judge.As a former member of Deer Search Inc. We would have to notify the NYS police when and where we were retriving a deer or bear, we were allowed to carry a fire arm Not the hunter.

Yet I know of hunters while archery huntying trying to get down from tree stands that had packs of wild dogs at the base of the tree not letting them get down, one I know shot 9 wild dogs to get down.t all depends on the judge if you get caught and go to court.Last year around me the ECON offesers were really inforcing the DEC laws.A lot of people got fined and went to court.

I think it was a combination of the dog, the spotlight and the fact that you were actually able to use the firearm to shoot the deer after sunset that required the notification to the Local DEC, Police..etc..................I'm a former member as well.