cell phone usage and hunting

sweet old bill

at 71 years young a phone to be is in the house. By wife is concerned when I go hunting or fishing that I should now have a cell phone to take with me.

Do they make a cell  phone that is easy to use , read , and that you could pay one yearly fee, as I would only see using it, if I had a health  issue, or if I shot a deer, needed help from the grandson or son in law to get it out of the woods, or maybe car trouble. so maybe 20 calls a year at the most and or maybe none...

Sounds like a pre-paid deal would be your best bet.  You can buy a certain number of minutes, then more once you use them up.  You should be able to buy a phone, charger, and minutes for under $100, then you can buy minutes after that. 

I wouldn't think of going into the woods alone without my phone.  I hunt some pretty rugged terrain and can just imagine slipping down a ravine and have to wait for someone to discover me.  Pretty cheap insurance if you ask me.

Absolutely a good item for those that hunt alone. I have a pre-paid phone specifically for that purpose simply because I too am at the age where bad things could happen, but I really don't have a use for a phone with the more expensive options and constant use. I have a stroke history, and even though I keep things under control through medication, diet and exercise, it would be stupid for me to go off without some form of communication.

Yup..pre paid would be the way to go. They still make phones that are pretty simple to use. Just dial a number, or choose a stored number and press send. Thats it. Definitely a good idea for anyone to have a cell phone while out in the woods.

The guys are right and just not to assume for I know zip about these phones...other than I get yelled at for not carrying mine everyday...but make sure it has gps...I say this because I had to call 911 while hunting and the operator was able to tell me where I was for me to confirm...I wish I had it on me the day I slipped on...deer pee of all things and broke my foot....it was a very long several hundred yard crawl back out of the woods and to the road...thankfully a passing car stopped and called the ambulance...wasn't hunting that day...just checking berries

I'm in a similiar situation with working & hunting on my property alone. Went with the Tracphone's "Pay As You Go", pretty much the cheapest way to get into a basic phone with no service agreements or huge monthly charges. For a 1st time cell phone user, I'd suggest going to a Radio Shack. They sell Trachones & the "Pay As You Go" plans/minutes. Have heard people say they'll setup & activate at time of purchase, so you walk out of the store ready to use phone. BTW - Think they sell a Big Easy phone with larger buttons. You can also buy on-line, WalMart, etc., but the 1st time you go throught the activation process can be a little daunting. I had a basic flip phone for several years and the coverage/reception was somewhat sketchy. Certainly not as advertised or shown on their coverage maps. Recently got a slightly upgraded touch screen phone & the reception was much better. So,..reception depends on the area you'll be mainly using it in, the terrain, the phone's capabilities, etc.

Bottom line $$, I get the 1 year service with 400 minutes, which get doubled with most new phone purchases for ~$100/yr. Minutes can be carried over to following year, but you'll need to get another annual usage card. You can add time/minutes in increments as small as 30min/30days and up. Bewarned, the batteries on those cheapie Tracphones have a cycle (charge/discharge) life of ~1yr. Cheaper to buy a new $20 phone than a replacement battery. Remaining minutes & service time can be easily switched between phones. Most phones have the selectable ringer with volume adjust, vibrate only, etc. DO NOT shut your phone off, set it to vibrate only. God forbid, in the case of an actual emergency all you want to do is hit a pre-set phone # button.

Verizon still has pay as you go phones also. They are available almost anywhere. Trac phone has very bad service in my area but Verizon and AT&T are covered great. No matter what you will find a dead spot on a map but its definitely a good idea to find something to take with you. A line of communication could be a lifesaver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

text your buddy when you're sitting there waiting for a deer to come by......take pictures of your trophy buck.....

lol do it all the time...

If you have children another option would be adding a line.  I put my mom and dad (both in their 70's) on my verizon account.  The two of them only cost me $20 a month and they got free phones.

thats kinda how we do it