The thievery continues...

ants

UNREAL!!! Got another call this morning from my same friend. He told me that one of the farm workers just called him to let him know that there was a Jeep parked off a logging road, and kind of stuck (hidden) in the woods. My friend was at work and I was tied up. I did break free about an hour later and drove (sped) over there. Of course the Jeep was gone by the time I got there & the farm worker didn't get a plate #. I could see where the Jeep was parked and I could see where the A-hole walked in. I wasn't dressed for the occasion, so I couldn't walk in to where I think he went. I was pressed for time too. 

Im heading out there this weekend and if I see this guy things might get heated..Im sooo pissed right now!!!!!

That sucks, hope karma works on the dirtbag.  A few years ago I had some land and had 4 cams set up.  Three were of decent quality and one was a clearance priced Stealthcam which cost me about 25 bucks.  As I was arriving into my property at an unusual time I saw a car pulling out of a shared road.  Since I had issues with trespassers previously I decided to follow the car alittle and obtain plate info.  The dude sped off and I knew at that time he likely had been on my land and stolen the cameras.  I kept up long enough to get a description and plate numbers but did not follow any further as the sleezeball was doing like 90 down a busy road just to get away.  When I returned to my land I found the lock clipped on the cheap trail cam and gone but the others were untouched (dumba** probably spent more on gas to get there than the cam was worth).  I visited the local state police station to make a complaint.  They informed me the car I described had been pulled over and ticketed earlier(again spent more on the ticket than the cam was worth), that it was unlikely they would be able to retrieve the cam (which I could care less about) but they would pay him a visit and scare him alittle.  Looking back I probably should have contacted an ECO office instead since my gripe was more with the trespassing issue.   

We just had a cam taken as well from private land(not ours). Hindsight tells us that we were pretty stupid, setting it close to a road. When we told the landowners, they were less then concerned. "Yeah, people steal crap all the time!" was their response. The also told us that one of their neighbors came by to ask about "A reflection" they were seeing in the woods. Our guess is that's the scumbag, but the landowner refuse to tell us who it is-said we have no proof and they want no problems with neighbors. Shocked by their nonchalance.

We just had a cam taken as well from private land(not ours). Hindsight tells us that we were pretty stupid, setting it close to a road. When we told the landowners, they were less then concerned. "Yeah, people steal crap all the time!" was their response. The also told us that one of their neighbors came by to ask about "A reflection" they were seeing in the woods. Our guess is that's the scumbag, but the landowner refuse to tell us who it is-said we have no proof and they want no problems with neighbors. Shocked by their nonchalance.

I hear ya.  I hunt another property in Allegheny Co. We have problems with trespassers now and then but the owner just doesn't seem to care. When we bring something to his attention he say " I think I know who it is, if I see him I'll talk to him". His brother, on the other hand is relentless, when it comes to trespassing. He will confront  them every time, take their stands and show up on their door steps but with out  being the actual property owner he can't press charges. 

It's frustrating but thats the way it is.

Locks slow them down by minutes

Shoot first: well you are in NYS and here well the criminal is the victim, a product of his society and your tax dollars should be spent on rehabilitating this unfortunate soul, you sir are the evil law abiding gun owner

Until there are actual penalties and accountability for committing a crime this behavior won't stop.

I found a stand today on a small piece of state land I was scouting. Was following decent deer sign then get to a spot where I say "hey this would be a good stand spot" and there I see one. Checked it out and noticed new chain around it but the lock was cut. Still left hanging though. I left it be and may have to give it a visit to bow hunt out of though.

They are out in the woods, as they are everywhere.  We had our Tug Hill cabin burgled and they took all...all the copper tubing for our propane stove, lights, everything.  Local police know who they were, but no proof.  We are now building our stands with enclosed towers and wood ladders, they would need a tractor with bucket to remove them.  Someone will...

You can be sued by anyone. It will cost you attorney fees to defend ( I can't remember the section but I can look it up) that protects the landowner from judgements against them when people are using their property. When you rent your property is changes everything. Some one help me out here.....

Q. Is posting required to protect landowners from liability?

A. No. Whether the property is posted or not, the General Obligations Law protects landowners from liability for non-paying recreationalists on their property. Because of this protection, recreational liability lawsuits against rural landowners are uncommon. Recreational activities covered include: hunting; fishing; organized gleaning (picking); canoeing; boating; trapping; hiking; cross-country skiing; tobogganing; sledding; speleological (caving) activities; horseback riding; bicycle riding; hang gliding; motorized vehicle operation for recreation; snowmobiling; non-commercial wood cutting or gathering; and dog training. This protection does not apply in cases of willful or malicious failure to guard or warn against dangers.

Q. May the owner or lessee charge for hunting, fishing, or trapping on the posted property?

A. Yes, but charging for access removes the liability protection granted to the landowner by the General Obligations Law.

• Like 1

I set one of my climbers this morning. I left it at the base of the tree. I chain locked it and hid it under a big pine bow that I cut off of a nearby tree, so its not as easily spotted from one of the logging roads. I have never had to do this before, and it pisses me right off that I have to start. Freak'n dirt bags..

Q. Is posting required to protect landowners from liability?

A. No. Whether the property is posted or not, the General Obligations Law protects landowners from liability for non-paying recreationalists on their property. Because of this protection, recreational liability lawsuits against rural landowners are uncommon. Recreational activities covered include: hunting; fishing; organized gleaning (picking); canoeing; boating; trapping; hiking; cross-country skiing; tobogganing; sledding; speleological (caving) activities; horseback riding; bicycle riding; hang gliding; motorized vehicle operation for recreation; snowmobiling; non-commercial wood cutting or gathering; and dog training. This protection does not apply in cases of willful or malicious failure to guard or warn against dangers.

Q. May the owner or lessee charge for hunting, fishing, or trapping on the posted property?

A. Yes, but charging for access removes the liability protection granted to the landowner by the General Obligations Law.

All true, and you can include a release/waiver in a hunting lease that would accomplish the same.  BTW - you would have to find a pretty desperate attorney to sue on behalf of a trespasser, but I suppose there are some out there.

• Like 1

All true, and you can include a release/waiver in a hunting lease that would accomplish the same.  BTW - you would have to find a pretty desperate attorney to sue on behalf of a trespasser, but I suppose there are some out there.

Hell yeah there are....

"Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, my client ordered hot coffee and then, through no fault of the restaurant, spilled the hot coffee in her own lap"  How bout a few mill.??? The restaurant can afford it....

Scum bags.

as part of my job, I'm occasionally called on to remove treestands from propertys where people aren't allowed to hunt, or there after a certain time period after being allowd to hunt on other properties,  trust me, if someone wants your stand, they're gonna get it, I haven't had one that's beaten me and made me walk off defeated

• Like 1

Is this a problem on the rise do you think?

That's funny, I was just wondering about that myself. My theory is that in this electronic media age, we are simply hearing about it more often. All the reports on here would have never even been heard about a bunch of years ago. Also, there is the fact that more and more "things" are being installed in the woods. So the opportunities have risen.

My buddy called me this afternoon while  he was  on the tractor.  He was out brush hogging the local  farm we hunt (his father in law owns the place). He  told me that someone took two of his ladder stands, that he had in place for a couple years. One was a nice double ladder stand.  I have two out there myself and it was too hard to describe to him where they were, for him to  check them for me. I have so much going on that I can't get out there to check on them till Saturday. I'll be wondering and pissed off all week. 

God how I hate these thieving little swamp rat, crap stained scum bags !!!!!

Would love to have an unlimited budget to go hunt prime private property out west and forget about dealing with trespassers. We also have trouble with Geo-cachers on neighboring properties walking around looking for buried stuff in the fall, further screwing up the hunt. Just cannot win.