Would you or not?

beachpeaz

I responded to another thread regarding the Wisconsin record buck that was shot and thought it would be an intersting thread by itself.

True Story:

While dropping off my buck at the taxidermist to be mounted, there was a very large buck there waiting (well over 160").  MUCH larger than anythign I have ever seen come out of my area in WNY.  Chatting with the taxidermist about it, come to find out it had escaped the local whitetail farm about 5-10 miles from where I hunt.  The buck was shot less than a mile from where I hunt.  Could have just as easily ended up in front of me given his path.

The guy had no idea it had escaped, so of course he is going to shoot it.  He was hunting legally during the season.  Nothing fishy about the situation.

He did find out after the fact and had it mounted anyway (even brags about it).

Question is:

Would you mount it and brag about it given the circumstances that you find out after the fact?

or would you kind of keep that on the downlow?

I guess it could be worse, there's plenty of guys who actually shoot the animals on enclosed game preserves, have them mounted and brag about them..........if taken fair chase without prior knowledge, I would probably mount it, bragging about it after learning the facts and if it was known to many the circumstances of how it came to be, would probably prevent me from doing so.

Edited by jjb4900

thats my opinion.  I really don't know how "tame" the deer was.  It SOUNDS like the deer wasn't too wild.  It was shot basically in the middle of the day just casually eating in a field...lol.    Again, if you are hunting and you see that, you don't wait around to see if it is a fluke.  Just not sure if you found out after that it was almost a tame deer, did you really "hunt" the stupid thing??

"It SOUNDS like the deer wasn't too wild.  It was shot basically in the middle of the day just casually eating in a field...lol."

Shot a 3 1/2 old 7 pt in the middle of day in field. I was standing in field looking down at the clover that was in it. Deer just came out of woods and starting feeding to me. I was on my knees by the time it got to field but it just fed, got to 20 yards and stood perfectly broadside!

Lots of wild deer feed in the middle of the day!

"It SOUNDS like the deer wasn't too wild.  It was shot basically in the middle of the day just casually eating in a field...lol."

Shot a 3 1/2 old 7 pt in the middle of day in field. I was standing in field looking down at the clover that was in it. Deer just came out of woods and starting feeding to me. I was on my knees by the time it got to field but it just fed, got to 20 yards and stood perfectly broadside!

Lots of wild deer feed in the middle of the day!

Yeah, except you didn't find out a week later that that was a hand raised deer!  lol

I have had plenty of "calm" encounter as well, with WILD deer!

I tell people I walked 5 miles in, carved out a bow and shot the thing at 150 yards.

Of course I'd be proud...it's fair chase - ain't nothing confining that buck at the moment.

haha, hell yeah.  You forgot about the fact that there was 2 feet of snow you had to walk in too.

Depends on the hunter a truly dedicated hunter would be proud regardless, but is it one of those annoying weekend hunters who go out twice a year and are experts from that day forward, But really cant tell their a## from a hole in the ground, like when they talk about buck tracks and call rubs scrapes and scrapes rubs, They say its easy to kill big bucks,, you just dont know what your doing they tell you lol,  If it is screw him, but if not and he is humble there is no reason not to brag, As long as you dont forget the part about being bottle fed and him sleeping on a couch :) and coming when you whistled, then its ok 

Humble people brag?

Where does one get their "truly dedicated hunter" certificate?

well sir not trying to talk crap it was supposed to be funny, but apparently you cant handle it and have to pick it apart and comment on nothing im sorryy you have no sense of humor, Get over it i wasnt talking about you, Pull up your big girl panties and move, nuff said 

Depends on the hunter a truly dedicated hunter would be proud regardless, but is it one of those annoying weekend hunters who go out twice a year and are experts from that day forward, But really cant tell their a## from a hole in the ground, like when they talk about buck tracks and call rubs scrapes and scrapes rubs, They say its easy to kill big bucks,, you just dont know what your doing they tell you lol,  If it is screw him, but if not and he is humble there is no reason not to brag, As long as you dont forget the part about being bottle fed and him sleeping on a couch :) and coming when you whistled, then its ok 

LOL@ come when you whistle.  If only!  haha

I would just skin the head & do my own Euro mount, and hang the head with the others in the garage that weren't worth getting mounted. I'm sure I'd get a lot of questions when friends or strangers see the size of the rack, and I'd probably brag a little, but still wouldn't get it mounted for inside the house.

almost like hooking up with a really attractive woman, and then finding out afterwards that your friends hired her to do it...............while enjoyable before you knew, after you found out it wouldn't be the accomplishment you thought it was.

that might be the quote of the day!

• Like 1

well sir not trying to talk crap it was supposed to be funny, but apparently you cant handle it and have to pick it apart and comment on nothing im sorryy you have no sense of humor, Get over it i wasnt talking about you, Pull up your big girl panties and move, nuff said 

Yep here comes 'ol SteveB. Trolling the threads looking for a debate.

Well, first of all, I would want absolute proof that he came from the deer farm. Ear tag, tattoo in ear, or some other sure-fire proof. There are far too many people that take delight in trying to downplay the achievements of others. Jealousy or just plain meaness, I would not put it past anyone to start a rumor just to make the guy feel bad about a once in a lifetime achievement.

If there was an ear tag or tattoo or some other means of ID, it would kind of ruin the whole thing for me. The kill would be enjoyed as a source of meat, and like somebody said, cut the antlers off just to have them to look at. Taxidermy costs are way to high to waste the money on a tame deer. That's kind of like having a black angus head mounted and hanging on the wall .... lol.

• Like 2

It was legite from the farm.  There was zero controversy over it (like this thread on the WI buck). The guy had pictures of it in its fenced in area with the other deer. Had pictures from the last couple years too.  It was only 3.5 or 4.5 I believe.  It was so big because of the supplimental feeding.

I think I am with you Doc.  I couldn't mount it and brag about it.  It would be a fun conversation piece ot have a euro mount or somethign and put with my hunting stuff.

I personally would not mount it for me, maybe to sell if I could make some money or just euro it. I would not really think it would be much to brag about. I may also be concerned what they were farming it for and if it was roided up and safe to eat.

It would sure be a big downer after a certain high of shooting a 160 class buck! Probably be depressed for weeks!