Can any one age this buck and would you shoot him

apoallo

I have this 6 point on my trail cam from a few days ago. He looks young  but I am on the fence about if I would shoot him given the chance...... I don't have any pictures of his body. I placed the camera to high on the trunk of the tree.. I think he will grow some more by opening day of rifle /shotgun. any age predictions??

post-1590-0-11276100-1379723565_thumb.jppost-1590-0-59956000-1379723576_thumb.jppost-1590-0-81263000-1379723584_thumb.jppost-1590-0-33627400-1379723592_thumb.jp

and I figured Id add this last picture because it reminded me of Growalot's avatar picture face wise

post-1590-0-74285500-1379723606_thumb.jp

He's a 1 1/2 year old buck. I can't think of any reason NOT to shoot him, unless you want to shoot a 2 1/2 year old buck or a buck with a big rack.

Judging by the length of his snout and the width of his butt, I'm guessing he might weigh 100-110 pounds field dressed. Good groceries, but not what most people would consider a wallhanger.

Edited by Pygmy

. Good groceries, but not what most people would consider a wallhanger.

No not a wall hanger at all! Def good groceries

Thanks Biz! After he poped up on my cam it was a thought if I would or not. my gut says NO but my index finger has been getting a bit itchy since last year. If I didn't get that 8 pt last year and this guy was in front of me  I would have blasted him, but now, I feel like I should have higher standards.... lol idk I got spoiled from last year.  I feel like I am thinking more like  trophy hunter but still wanting a ton of meat in the freezer as well..

I'll sort of add to Doc's last comment by saying that if you have the time to be picky, late season and colder weather could possibly bring some non-resident bucks across your path. The big boys are probably not traveling very far this time of year, sticking close to food&water. You might be overlooking a bruiser just a few hundred yards away. A few days in the stand could shed a whole new light on your deer inventory.

We all have 46 days to make something happen before the boom sticks come in. I still say there's nothing wrong with any deer you take. Part of the reason that I choose to be picky is the fact that I have dozens of hunting spots. I also know that there are "TOADS" all over this state! Who knows, you may go P&Y by 9:00AM on opening day. Stranger things have happened.

Enjoy your woods time. I know I will. We are blessed to have it!

cant really see the whole body im guessing 2- 2 1/2 years it really dosent matter if it looks good put it down thats the great thing about hunting its up to the shooter I try to take a nice doe with the bow so i have meat then i look for the soup stirer's in my family we fill frezers first and if the big one comes past he goes down

If youre asking the question youre hoping for something better....you wont have as much opportunity for better if you shoot him

If you need "groceries" work more; shop more. Always interesting to see how guys with big buck avatars are advocates of being a trigger slut...therein lies the problem

If youre asking the question youre hoping for something better....you wont have as much opportunity for better if you shoot him

If you need "groceries" work more; shop more. Always interesting to see how guys with big buck avatars are advocates of being a trigger slut...therein lies the problem

I'm going to assume you are talking about me. I am not a advocate of being a "trigger slut". I am a advocate of someone shooting whatever they want, legally. If that's what the guy wants to shoot and makes him happy, then good for him. How I hunt and what I shoot should have no bearing on anyone else. People shouldn't be looked down upon for shooting whatever legal buck they feel like. Or should he not shoot it just to make YOU happy?

What are you talking about? Work more shop more? Some people hunt for the meat. And just because they have a big buck as an avatar doesn't mean they can't be a "trigger slut". You can whack a little buck one year, and just so happen to whack a slammer the next. You make no sense. :nono:

Edited by Renegade Hunter

so now we are labeling people as trigger sluts because they may have a big buck as an avatar.... I cant just really like the picture?? at the bottom on the picture on my avatar there is a quote from the good book.   Ephesians 6:10-11 pictures of big buck as avatars doesn't necessarily mean that person has the most experience or the most trophies. As a matter of fact. I have only one trophy mounted. and he was my 2nd buck . If I were to shoot this 6 point this season he would be my 3rd. My first was a spike during my first bow season.