Interesting F&S article by David Petzal on respecting your quarry

Caveman

I can see why people are turned off at the TV antics, but trying to address how people celebrate in private...that's uber-douchey in my view.

If someone shows remorse, I don't knock them. That's their response and that's fine - hunting means different things to different people and the respect is paid in different ways. If someone wants to whoop it up because they are genuinely excited (with nobody around, lol)...go for it.

It was so warm last year, I didn't either. Mine was caped in the field (I HATE doing that) and then we pretty much quartered the front shoulders off and brough the rest up. Wasn't really truck photo worthy at that point. Plus it was like midnight when all said and done. Next one poses in the carpeted sissy truck.

• Like 2

As I get older the "thrill of the kill" is starting to fade. I have never liked walking up to an animal struggling for its last breath, looking it in the eye,

knowing you caused its demise. The high 5's don't bother me, whatever floats your boat. I actually like a solitary moment with the animal, give thanks, and know that it will feed many people. Some people don't understand how I can kill a deer but on the other hand love them so much. That is the piece these people will never ever be able to comprehend, that's why I call myself a Hunter.

Edited by First-light

I have a touch of sadness for every kill. I do not feel remorse, and I do not believe a hunter should. As long as you're planning on harvesting the animal, you've done nothing wrong. I do think you should feel a little emotion though, as you've taken the life of a beautiful animal. I think if you do not feel something, it's time to get out of the sport. My grandfather hunted for over 70 years. he was a Korean war combat vet, and he told me that he still felt the same way he did when he first started hunting. I personally say a prayer every time.

I will counter however that one isn't allowed to show emotion with a kill. There is absolutely nothing wrong with celebrating so long as you're respectful. If you want to hug, high five and holler after taking a nice buck, you should. Wearing the deer head around the forest, might be a little excessive. You've most likely spent hours and hours doing all sorts of tasks to prepare for that moment and it's finally paid off. It's just like getting a promotion at work. Be happy.

Oh, God:  I am going to cry!  You guys who use trail cameras, hi-tech weapons and ammo, hunt over food plots (aka bait piles) and then claim to "respect" your quarry are NUTS!  All of your "cover my ass" arguments are simply bull!  Hey...I go hunting...if I score, I celebrate...Big deal!  If I had a great deal of "respect" for the game animals I hunt...I would not hunt them.  You apologist hunters should give up your guns and join PETA!

what does using trail cams to increase your chance of success have to do with not respecting the animal? I know a handful of people that did feel bad after hunting and stopped. I don't judge them, just the same as I hope they do not judge me. We're all hunters on this forum, so we all obviously feel ok with what we're doing. But hunters are also the biggest conservationist. To preserve the land, the species etc. If you don't give a hoot about deer, why not just open a year round season. I don't think anyone is claiming you "need to feel a certain way" but that if allyou're in it for is to shoot your gun, you may be in it for the wrong reasons.

One thing that always irks me, are the ones who say taking a pic of the buck in the back of a truck is in bad taste. That you need to have nice field pics. Sure, a nice field pic is indeed fun. But, what I remember most, is the buck in the back of the truck, and that's the pic I like to have, if I can. The journey ends there, for me. If you don't like it, pound sand.

I'm not a fan of those pics, but I do not see them as disrespectful. That includes the "dead deer on the ground pic". I do however prefer the deer and hunter pic together. I think that helps preserve the memory. And if you're going to that length you might as well put some leaves over the gut and clean any blood off the mouth and horns. We do this for our mounts don't we?

As I get older the "thrill of the kill" is starting to fade. I have never liked walking up to an animal struggling for its last breath, looking it in the eye,

knowing you caused its demise. The high 5's don't bother me, whatever floats your boat. I actually like a solitary moment with the animal, give thanks, and know that it will feed many people. Some people don't understand how I can kill a deer but on the other hand love them so much. That is the piece these people will never ever be able to comprehend, that's why I call myself a Hunter.

i've done 2 coup-de-grace. don't like them one bit.

Edited by Belo

I can see why people are turned off at the TV antics, but trying to address how people celebrate in private...that's uber-douchey in my view.

If someone shows remorse, I don't knock them. That's their response and that's fine - hunting means different things to different people and the respect is paid in different ways. If someone wants to whoop it up because they are genuinely excited (with nobody around, lol)...go for it.

It was so warm last year, I didn't either. Mine was caped in the field (I HATE doing that) and then we pretty much quartered the front shoulders off and brough the rest up. Wasn't really truck photo worthy at that point. Plus it was like midnight when all said and done. Next one poses in the carpeted sissy truck.

I could go onto moogs profile and label him "carpeted sissy truck driver" if you want...

Well, maybe I have heard some celebrations with remarks that are kind of on the edge. Things like "what a pig!", or "he's a real toad" or "What a slob". What the heck is that all about? Of all the things you could call an animal that you just killed, maybe these aren't exactly the right sentiments to be put out on TV. I know that they are just trying to use the "cool" language of the day, but it can really be taken the wrong way. No, I don't get down on my knees and start praying to the deer gods or any such rituals, but I guess I wouldn't feel right about calling the slain animal derogatory names. I don't think it is funny, cute, or cool.

I have a touch of sadness for every kill. I do not feel remorse, and I do not believe a hunter should. As long as you're planning on harvesting the animal, you've done nothing wrong. I do think you should feel a little emotion though, as you've taken the life of a beautiful animal. I think if you do not feel something, it's time to get out of the sport. My grandfather hunted for over 70 years. he was a Korean war combat vet, and he told me that he still felt the same way he did when he first started hunting. I personally say a prayer every time.

I will counter however that one isn't allowed to show emotion with a kill. There is absolutely nothing wrong with celebrating so long as you're respectful. If you want to hug, high five and holler after taking a nice buck, you should. Wearing the deer head around the forest, might be a little excessive. You've most likely spent hours and hours doing all sorts of tasks to prepare for that moment and it's finally paid off. It's just like getting a promotion at work. Be happy.

what does using trail cams to increase your chance of success have to do with not respecting the animal? I know a handful of people that did feel bad after hunting and stopped. I don't judge them, just the same as I hope they do not judge me. We're all hunters on this forum, so we all obviously feel ok with what we're doing. But hunters are also the biggest conservationist. To preserve the land, the species etc. If you don't give a hoot about deer, why not just open a year round season. I don't think anyone is claiming you "need to feel a certain way" but that if allyou're in it for is to shoot your gun, you may be in it for the wrong reasons.

I'm not a fan of those pics, but I do not see them as disrespectful. That includes the "dead deer on the ground pic". I do however prefer the deer and hunter pic together. I think that helps preserve the memory. And if you're going to that length you might as well put some leaves over the gut and clean any blood off the mouth and horns. We do this for our mounts don't we?

i've done 2 cu-degrades. don't like them one bit.

I usually wear blood in most of my pics post-kill. If I really want a nice field pic, I may do so, but still, I'd rather have memories of what the experience was like, not the Disney World, Bambi fantasy land version. I've never shot a deer that didn't bleed. The mount is what it is. The mount captures the deer's qualities...the pics capture the experience, the sharing of success with a friend, the hard work, the journey completed.

But, if you like cleaned up pics and hiding blood with leaves, I have no issues with it. I've taken a few hero shots in my time, too. I just prefer otherwise.

• Like 2

Well, maybe I have heard some celebrations with remarks that are kind of on the edge. Things like "what a pig!", or "he's a real toad" or "What a slob". What the heck is that all about? Of all the things you could call an animal that you just killed, maybe these aren't exactly the right sentiments to be put out on TV. I know that they are just trying to use the "cool" language of the day, but it can really be taken the wrong way. No, I don't get down on my knees and start praying to the deer gods or any such rituals, but I guess I wouldn't feel right about calling the slain animal derogatory names. I don't think it is funny, cute, or cool.

I should clarify. I do not get down on my knees and pray. I say a small prayer, just like I do every morning and night thanking God for my success or asking him to help me with my success. I'm not actually very religious, but there's something about being in a stand with the sun coming up or taking a life that gets me all spiritual. haha.

I usually wear blood in most of my pics post-kill. If I really want a nice field pic, I may do so, but still, I'd rather have memories of what the experience was like, not the Disney World, Bambi fantasy land version. I've never shot a deer that didn't bleed. The mount is what it is. The mount captures the deer's qualities...the pics capture the experience, the sharing of success with a friend, the hard work, the journey completed.

But, if you like cleaned up pics and hiding blood with leaves, I have no issues with it. I've taken a few hero shots in my time, too. I just prefer otherwise.

nothing wrong with exit and entrance holes. My personal preference though is to clean up the muzzle (especially lung kills), hide the tongue and cover the gaping hole in his or her belly. Again, just my preference. Not a fan of deer piled up either. Several hanging in a tree with guys next to them is fine, but something about the pile does bother me.

*gets down off pedestal*

Generally I plunge my face into the opened up body cavity and bite out the liver and then standing over the deer, I have my picture taken with the liver dangling out of both sides of my mouth and blood from the body cavity covering my face. While the picture is being taken, I give out a primal yell. It's just a statement of conquest. ......Well, maybe that was just something I imagined doing.... lol.

• Like 1

Here is my ritual.  I don't mind sharing it with you.

Upon walking up to a dead deer, I kneel.  I give thanks to the deer for feeding my family (I may add an apology if it took a long time for it to die), then I say a prayer to God and to Saint Hubert for keeping me safe.

No tears, no mourning, no sadness....just respect. 

If my family shows up to help me gut and drag, there will be high 5's, back slaps, and hugs all around.  If it's a trophy buck or if someone kills there first deer, the celebration will probably get loud.

At dinner there will extended Grace to God for providing food for our table.

I never tell anyone how to celebrate.  We all know how powerful that rush of adrenline is at the moment we decide to shoot.  For some its more powerful than others.  And all that emotion, adrenline, and excitement has to be released.  Tell the guy who just killed his first deer after 10 years of chasing whitetails to act like he is in a funeral home.

This F & S article with phases like, "It comes from an animal who spent its last moments alive bawling in terror in a slaughterhouse." Is nothing more than leftwing PETA propaganda hogwash.  I'm glad I don't subscribe to this garbage journalism.  Bet you next week they have some article on their page that the guy from F & S agrees with them.

Edited by RangerClay

nothing wrong with exit and entrance holes. My personal preference though is to clean up the muzzle (especially lung kills), hide the tongue and cover the gaping hole in his or her belly. Again, just my preference. Not a fan of deer piled up either. Several hanging in a tree with guys next to them is fine, but something about the pile does bother me.

*gets down off pedestal*

So you dont like this pic then....

post-8-0-81586700-1380305203_thumb.jpg

Ok, Funny story.

Last year my daughter boy friend was all gun ho to get into hunting. I took him shooting, helped him practice and got him all set up. Opening weekend was all set and he was joining us at camp. For a few months before the season I kept telling him that we had a few rituals at camp. If you missed a buck you got you shirt tail cut off. This happens every time you miss until you get your first buck. Second was that he may want to take a doe as his first deer becasue he had two choices after his first kill.  1. have his way with it or 2. take a bite out of the heart.

Fast forward to the night before the opener. He asked my father if there was anything he had to do if he got a deer? (Silly boy must have thought I didn't get the old man up to speed...lol) Dad told him word for word. He didn't see a deer for 3 day, or at least none he admitted to. On the fourth day I honestly had forgotten all about the spoof and he shoots probably the biggest doe we hae taken at camp. I went down after his shot and he did as I had told him. pinpoint where you shot, how it reacted and the last place you saw it. he was flawless. put me right onthe blood trail and he took her right through the heart. Very easy track for him. So we are high fiving each other and all of a sudden he is all quiet and has his head hanging down. I am thinking he is sad becasue he killed a deer. I ask him what is wrong and he looks at me and asked me which choice I had made. I almost wet myself....lol. He was almost as happy when I told him we had been pulling his leg as he was when he came up to the deer.

• Like 5

Ok, Funny story.

Last year my daughter boy friend was all gun ho to get into hunting. I took him shooting, helped him practice and got him all set up. Opening weekend was all set and he was joining us at camp. For a few months before the season I kept telling him that we had a few rituals at camp. If you missed a buck you got you shirt tail cut off. This happens every time you miss until you get your first buck. Second was that he may want to take a doe as his first deer becasue he had two choices after his first kill.  1. have his way with it or 2. take a bite out of the heart.

Fast forward to the night before the opener. He asked my father if there was anything he had to do if he got a deer? (Silly boy must have thought I didn't get the old man up to speed...lol) Dad told him word for word. He didn't see a deer for 3 day, or at least none he admitted to. On the fourth day I honestly had forgotten all about the spoof and he shoots probably the biggest doe we hae taken at camp. I went down after his shot and he did as I had told him. pinpoint where you shot, how it reacted and the last place you saw it. he was flawless. put me right onthe blood trail and he took her right through the heart. Very easy track for him. So we are high fiving each other and all of a sudden he is all quiet and has his head hanging down. I am thinking he is sad becasue he killed a deer. I ask him what is wrong and he looks at me and asked me which choice I had made. I almost wet myself....lol. He was almost as happy when I told him we had been pulling his leg as he was when he came up to the deer.

Classic! :lol:  

Ok, Funny story.

Culver, I just had to have a couple of my guys come in and read that

best story of the year award

So you dont like this pic then....

1st... wtf happened to that doe? lol.

secondly, I have really no issue with the pic... at one point or another we all have deer laying there like that. I would not however, use that as my "text my friends/facebook/forum" pic. I don't see the point. If it's a doe... i'm probably not even taking pics. Take some field shots real quick to send to your other hunting buddies in the woods. But I think you should take the time to take some good ones too.

I was busting on you. I did post that pic on FB though.

Funnyish story on that doe. I shot her with my ML (it was the last day of the season a couple of years ago) right through the lungs. She went down right in her tracks. I climbed out of my stand after reloading, and walked over to her. Just as I got to her, her head went straight up, scaring the ever loving out of me. I went to shoulder the rifle and put the second shot in her vitals, but her head got in the way just as I pulled the trigger and the shot caught her right in the nose on its way to the vitals. The rest is just dirt and ruffled hair from the drag. Thats why she looks like that.

• Like 1

It's tough to control how people react to different things. I am who I am and my reaction is a direct result of that. I am always excited because of the adrenalin and all the work and prep leading up to the hunt. But I do have a sense of respect for the animal. But that's me. Some people act the opposite of that.... I can not control that. That's why hunting isn't a team sport. Its done alone or with someone you choose to spend time with. React how you want and I'll do the same. 

Edited by NYSuperSportsman