Broadhead accuracy problem

CuseHunter

So I had my bow professionally tuned, it shoots amazing. I have a nice 3 inch groups at 30 yards with field points.

Got a pack of slick trick mags and loved them. The group at first was like 4 inches to the left. So I adjusted my rest to the right and they were on from that point foreword. Shot a great group at 30 yards with them. So good that I put the three arrows so close that the broadhead went in the same hole and hit the other head and cut off the fletching.

So after taking the bow out hunting open week 4 times, I figured I should double check at my house to make sure everything is still on. Shot at my target and was so off to the left it missed and went into my fence. Figuring maybe somehow I just pulled a shot or something, aimed to the right of center 3 inches and just made it into the archery block dead on elevation, off to the left 6 inches. Thinking I bumped my sights or something I shot my field tips and they flew right into bullseye. So it is definitely a broad head issue.

Anyone know what's wrong? About to give up using fixed blade and go to a rage. But really wanted to try out these slick tricks

if you go with a mechanical check out Ulmer Edge,frickin awesome head.I have never really liked 4 blade heads becasue I could never get them to fly good

X2! The only broadheads I've ever had a problem with always seemed to be the 4 blade ones, not all of them but some. I don't know what it is but maybe the have a tendency to plane more being 4 blades. It could also be that you didn't tighten your rest down good when you adjusted it the first time, you could be getting fletching contact or for some reason you're torqueing the bow. All these issues don't show themselves as bad with field points, but put a fixed blade on and they'll show for sure.

If you broadheads and field points are that far off, that suggests your bow is out of tune. After made the adjustment to  your rest, did you should field points again to confirm they were hitting the same as your broadheads? Are you sure you snugged your rest back up tight after you made the adjustment? I like to mark the rest, so I can tell if something moved. a 1/16th of an inch movement of your rest might not even be noticable, but can have a huge impact on arrow flight, especially with a fixed blade.

Might also want to have someone double check your form. You might have developed a little form problem that you haven't noticed, and having another person watching might help detect it (dropping your bow hand, plucking the string, etc.)

Just switching to a rage might get your arrows to fly with your broadheads, but if it is a tuning issue you haven't really "fixed" anything, and you will not be maximizing the performance of your bow. Let us know if you are able to figure it out.

• Like 1

If you broadheads and field points are that far off, that suggests your bow is out of tune. After made the adjustment to your rest, did you should field points again to confirm they were hitting the same as your broadheads? Are you sure you snugged your rest back up tight after you made the adjustment? I like to mark the rest, so I can tell if something moved. a 1/16th of an inch movement of your rest might not even be noticable, but can have a huge impact on arrow flight, especially with a fixed blade.

Might also want to have someone double check your form. You might have developed a little form problem that you haven't noticed, and having another person watching might help detect it (dropping your bow hand, plucking the string, etc.)

Just switching to a rage might get your arrows to fly with your broadheads, but if it is a tuning issue you haven't really "fixed" anything, and you will not be maximizing the performance of your bow. Let us know if you are able to figure it out.

After my adjustment to tune, I did shoot my field points and they both were spot on.

I did snug my rest back tight. And it hasn't moved since because I have the qad HD which has the markings.

I've been working on my form and think its good now. But don't know how I can go from perfect groups then go to a fixed broadhead and be 8 inches off.

Get rid of them things, I used to go thru the same nonsense about 15 yrs ago, then I gabbed some Rocket mechanicals and never looked back, gave away all my Thunderheads. The Rockets will hit right where your field points of the same weight do every time. Get some of their Hammerheads and toss those fixed blades. You will shoot field points right up to the time you go hunting and never have to practice with broadheads and retune your bow,,

http://www.trophyridge.com/broadheads

I think you are supposed to adjust your sight pins if your shooting to the left move the sight to the left, if your shooting low, move the sight lower ,not the arrow rest.

Thats what i do. Normally dont ever move my rest

Sent from Outer Space

In theory. A perfectly tuned bow will stack broadheads with fieldpoints..some bows seem to be more finicky than others with tune..if everything else is good moving the rest when broadhead tuning will help bring them to the same point of impact.. But ...cam lean ,hand torque,and a whole list of other thing effect it also... I ended up switching to mech heads a few years ago because of poor tune.. I'm back to fixed blade heads after a new set of strings and a professional tune..

As much as I follow this stuff I'm still not capable of fine tuning my bow(seems to be one ofthe trickier ones)

• Like 1

Did you buy your bow from a local archery dealer ? If you did talk to them some bows may take  a certain broadhead. I uisually ask Mike at Belmont Archery before I buy something to see if it works well with my bow and the way I shoot. I also shoot a winter paper league at his shop sometimes my form changes the way the arrows fly some groups are nice and tight and others look like I  used a scatter gun. I have been shooting a bow now for 19 years , it is a lot more technical than I ever imagined ! Good Luck!!!!!!!!

walk back tune your bow...start at 20 aim for whatever than move to 25 aim same spot 30 same spot 35...40. the arrows should be in a vertical line if they are not then adjust your rest....arrows ina line like this / move rest to right, if they are the opp do the opp

I just read this in a long archery tuning article and will be doing it. It my broad heads don't fly right after that I'm done and will go to a mechanical head. Either way I'm going to my archery shop (legends of the fall) this weekend because I just paid them $29 to install a d loop and cut 3 arrows After buying the bow from and and paying for new cables and strings I think they should be able to help me without making me she'll out more money.

I just read this in a long archery tuning article and will be doing it. It my broad heads don't fly right after that I'm done and will go to a mechanical head. Either way I'm going to my archery shop (legends of the fall) this weekend because I just paid them $29 to install a d loop and cut 3 arrows After buying the bow from and and paying for new cables and strings I think they should be able to help me without making me she'll out more money.

The shops around here all suck! Hopefully you wont get one of the kids to work on your bow. The couple times I've been there everyone looked like they were higher than a kite!

I don't mind paying a slight mark up for my gear to buy from local business, especially when there is knowledgable pro staff. But when it gets to the point of having to get nickel and dimed, really looking to switch to AJ's archery. Seems like a good place.

Watch yourself at AJ's. Every time I've ever been there, they push top shelf items only. And ther prices are REDICULOUSLY HIGH! Plus the staff are not very personable. I work in Cazenovia, and that place has a reputation for what I just said, many of the people I work with all warned me not to go there, I had to find out for myself. Just FYI.