Teach us old wise ones, how do you "old tops" prep for the season.

burmjohn

Teach us old wise ones, how do you "old tops" prep for the season.  I've seen a few threads bashing the use of trail camera's, claiming those that do (or some) are not true hunters. 

So what exactly is a "true hunter".  What does it take to be that guy? What do you do that is different then these trailcam'ing newbs out there? Do you stick your finder in deer poop to test the temp to see if its a fresh dump? Taste it to see what they are eating? Sleep in their beds?

In all seriousness, perhaps rather then bashing we have a thread here for newer (and older, hey you can teach an old dog new tricks, I've seen it!)  hunters to read and sticky.  Not everyone had the luxury of growing up in a place where they could hunt their entire lives or had family that hunted to learn from.  Luckily I did, been hunting since I was legally able to and had great mentors. I still have plenty to learn, I'd like to improve on my scouting.  However, one thing blocking that is time, but I do what I can when I can. 

Perhaps cover:

• Season Prep
  • Scouting
  • Tracking / Recovery
  • ???

• Like 3

Here is my season prep..

1.... Put new batteries in hearing aid.

2... Put camo tape on walker...

3....Make sure there is ample toilet paper in my pocket.

4....Look for license and tags that I put somewhere where I would surely remember it.

5....Go to town clerks and pay $15 for replacement license and tags.

6....Go into closet to get my rifle.

7... Having forgotten why I went into closet, go to fridge for a beer.

8... Take nap.

Next day...repeat..

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 13

Pygmy's #8 works for me...!!!    Seriously:  Eat less...walk/exercise more...scout while small game hunting...spent at least one session on the target range.

Promise my wife to take her to a warm tropical island, and, in return, 12 days of bowhunting...

Pygmy's #8 works for me...!!! Seriously: Eat less...walk/exercise more...scout while small game hunting...spent at least one session on the target range.

Doesn't sound like any different from what a "young bucks" already do, and more. But I'm sure you have some more tricks up your sleeve. Care to share?

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

trail cams serve their purpose, just dont check them to much once every 3 weeks or so depending on where they are, and i never associate hunting cover scents with trail cams, but thats just me, if im scouting i walk threw the woods talking and throwing a stick for my dog, but i never creep threw and try to be sneaky with my cover scents, to me just getting up and going is no different than kids or the farmer working in the woods, i think the deer can tell the difference between whats danger and whats not, jmho the rest is up to you to figure out its called experiance

I go out and shoot until I can walk past my 3D in the dark. on the way out of the woods...noc a practice broad head  I usually carry....turn and shoot....when I can put that arrow in the kill zone in the dark...I prepared my self to the point of muscle memory...and that makes me as good a hunter as I can be...doing my part to bring home the best quickest kill shot possible...sometimes crap happens but not from my  not trying my best

Lord I can't believe I need to do this but....NEVER DO THAT IN YOUR BACKYARD IN A NEIGHBORHOOD!...

Edited by growalot

Trail cams are fun . I take a regular camera along when I hunt and enjoy taking pics . Trail cams show what other activity is going on in the area ( tresspassers , etc ) . The horses , riders are okay for fox hunting but the ATV has a couple of tresspassers on it . The cat in the pic is a long way from any dwelling and the riders in the last pic don't belong there .

post-132-0-07348800-1381171157_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-71371200-1381171173_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-03564200-1381171296_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-34764600-1381171318_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-42711600-1381171537_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-05098600-1381171604_thumb.jpg

Here is my season prep..

1.... Put new batteries in hearing aid.

2... Put camo tape on walker...

3....Make sure there is ample toilet paper in my pocket.

4....Look for license and tags that I put somewhere where I would surely remember it.

5....Go to town clerks and pay $15 for replacement license and tags.

6....Go into closet to get my rifle.

7... Having forgotten why I went into closet, go to fridge for a beer.

8... Take nap.

Next day...repeat..

I make sure I have my "4-wheeler" tuned up before the hunting season and then test it out

:laugh:

Experience is not necessarily all "that" because of region to region deer differentiate depending on the herd, terrain, and pressure.Hunters with only a few notches in their gun stock but hunted in hard hunted public land their whole lives with "experience" and seen newbies take game easily and yearly because of the land they hunted on was game rich. So who is to know. There are some things that can be favored in particular scenarios.

:laugh:

Experience is not necessarily all "that" because of region to region deer differentiate depending on the herd, terrain, and pressure.Hunters with only a few notches in their gun stock but hunted in hard hunted public land their whole lives with "experience" and seen newbies take game easily and yearly because of the land they hunted on was game rich. So who is to know. There are some things that can be favored in particular scenarios.

You are right and at the same time wrong.I have seen young fellows go with there older relitaves and walk 20 yards and shoot a 10 pointer ( but not every year) I have seen land owners that take on people who want to hunt and pay Get an 8 pointer or better every year and the people paying not get anything. I know someone that has gotten a buck almost every year ( we have deer hunted almost all of our lives ) He is just a buck magnet ( lucky ) to be in the right spot at the right time.

Now for the Experience, Do you think that J dog ( excuse me if I have the name wrong ) Has found as many deer Sheds buy just plain luck, He has been at it a long time (  could be ) longer the You are old.That is Experience  in my book.

Now here is another one while I am at it. I regards to Gro's post about he weather. The fellow that said that deer have to get up every 4 hours and eat, I say B.S. I have sat in one spot( for 10 hours at a time) a number of times an a number of years, And watched 5 or more deer walk up 50 yards from me bed down in weather that we had today and in that amount of time get up once or twice walk 10 feet brose and go back to the same spot for hours.And a few times that includes mature bucks.They did not leave until around 4.00 PM. Now this is on my property what goes on by you, Who knows . I am out there every day weather permitting all year long,That is Expoerience of what is going on my proberty, Not some TV show or video. And yes I do have trail camers out to see what is where and when, Even thou I am just an Old dude that loves to be outdoors and hunt when I can.   

Something that will help you in future season , is when you take a deer when there is snow. After finding your deer, follow its tracks backward starting from where u shot it. Learn where it came from what it was doing, did you find its bed? Do this to every deer you can and you will unravel feeding patterns/bedding areas/natural movement and forced movement patterns. All of which will put you ahead of the game for following seasons, allowing for less intrusive scouting.although the deer you track is dead others will do the same year after year.

• Like 5

Something that will help you in future season , is when you take a deer when there is snow. After finding your deer, follow its tracks backward starting from where u shot it. Learn where it came from what it was doing, did you find its bed? Do this to every deer you can and you will unravel feeding patterns/bedding areas/natural movement and forced movement patterns. All of which will put you ahead of the game for following seasons, allowing for less intrusive scouting.although the deer you track is dead others will do the same year after year.

Great advice. Old timer told me this a few years ago and it does help!

I make sure the wood is cut for the fire at camp

put in the food plots,

check stands to be sure they are safe.

fill propane tanks for the stove and lights

load shells 

make several trips to the range to practice

buy food for camp

check out trails and remove debris

ENJOY MYSELF

• Like 1

Here is a good tip, get a fresh non bloody tarsal gland off a road kill or friends kill(as long as its 2 miles or more from your hunting area. Hang it up and watch the deer come in to it.doesn't matter if its buck or doe by the way! Just make sure to hang it up wind yards or so. Last only a day or two before you need to toss it. 2Nd If some one kills a deer in your party cut open the stomach to see what its eating and head to that food source for you next hunt!

Not quite sure what qualifies as an old guy, but closing on 40 hunting seasons count?

My advice if you want to be a "real" hunter...

Be out there year round, know what the dear are eating, and where they are bedding.

Shoot your firearm...a lot (not in one sitting)-know your gun.

Have patience to be out all day, regardless of weather, but still know that it is the first few and last few minutes of shooting day that are most important. Be out there, every minute you can! I have shot them two minutes into the season (which sucks!) and at last light the last day of the season many times (which is perfect).

A traditional hunter is out there for meat- the bones can boil all day, and you still cant eat em. Don't get deceived by the TV and magazine mutant monster deer.

Understand a trophy is in the respect the animal gets from you, not the oohs and ahhs from the crowd.

Hunt the wind. Always. Be still. If hunting, hunt. Give it your 100%.

And I do use a game camera, but it is more for my own entertainment. Every year I see mature bucks roaming rut time that I never saw previously, and I never seem to see the average to middlin bucks that I do get on my camera.