How and would you hunt this?

TeeBugg

This is literally 70 yards from my father in laws back porch. Those are old barns, and in that opening i just discovered not one but two fresh scrapes. Probably made today or yesterday. He saw a deer in this opening but couldnt make out what it was. Said good sized. Hes been seeing a buck cross the road and go right thru this area. So would you hunt in there with say a treeseat near a barn?

post-2196-13813504381583_thumb.jpg

Edited by TeeBugg

What is in the old buildings? Why not take advantage of surroundings that the deer is already comfortable with?

Nothing. Alot of them fell in on themselves. I was actually thinking the same thing. Gonna see if we can put a cam here and see if the buck was just stopping by or if hes using this area

do it, I set up on 4 or 5 fresh scrapes and bagged an 8 tonight... AND there was a bigger one out in the field. first i heard a grunt 1 hour before the 8 he rolled in, after i shot him i got out the stand i looked 200 yards down the field and a smasher was out with the does. so i guess they aren't roaming a hell of a lot, yet. I am going to make a separate post about it... good luck!

Dont even really need to make a blind inside of them. So much undergrowth its pretty much a natural blind. May have to trim a few shooting lanes but im not sure thats even necessary. Ill be there again this weekend so ill put in my homework!

It might be possible. But its super super thick. Ill take a peek next time i go over

super thick is where it's at. 90% of hunters wont mess with it because of that, but if you have the time (and it's a little late this season), get in there and cut some lanes and find a good tree. It's hard to tell from one pic, but it could be a great bedding or transition area and deer will probably find it safer then out in the open. What you see in the summer seems to change when they start smelling us in the woods and even more so when the guns go off.

Gonna have my father in law keep an eye on the scrapes. He swears he sees a buck come across the road almost everyday. So we shall see! But im also thinking the fallen down barns might be a great setup point

Be careful about giving these scrapes (or even the area) too much attention. Keep your observations and scouting at a long distance until the day you decide to pop in there and hunt.

Be careful about giving these scrapes (or even the area) too much attention. Keep your observations and scouting at a long distance until the day you decide to pop in there and hunt.

good idea... then just use a building as a blind.  don't go in and setup a tree stand if deer are coming through there now.  building might have wind swirling around it.  bring a puff bottle/wind checker with you when you do go hunt it.