Broken leg

Red

My wife called me yesterday after kin while I was at work Nd said I 4 year old son fell off o the monkey bars at school and was hurt she was on her way to the hospital with him I met her there as soon as they took the X-rays the lady looked at me and said can you see that yup my poor little man broke his leg he has a cast from his foot all the way up to his hip I feel horrible he screamed in pain all last night it sucks seeing your kid in that kind of pain and there's not much you can do to help

Sorry to hear! It's certainly hard seeing your kids in pain. When my daughter was 4, she had an issue with a lung and needed surgery. I'll never forget the heavy heart that I had as I carried her into the operating room in my arms and laid her on the operating table, as she was smiling and looking up at me, trusting that Daddy wouldn't let anything happen to her. All is good now, 10 years later, and she's my hunting buddy. Just let your son know that it'll get better...

Edited by Cabin Fever

Damn the luck!  I hope the little guy heals up pronto.  Halloween is going to be a bummer for him but I have a feeling he'll get up for it............school could be a problem though for him.  Good luck! 

My son started kindergarten with a broken arm due to a fall from the monkey bars back in 1997.  Crazy deal..........

Red,

If they did'nt order any pain meds please check with your sons doctor and let him / her know about the pain. There has been a real effort made to treat pain over the last few years. There's no need for that kind of suffering.

• Like 1

Damn, hope he feels better. One thing to note. You should make sure he is seeing an orthopedist regularly as he grows to make sure everything is ok with respect to his growth plates, etc....I know a kid who had problems with 1 leg being longer than the other, he had to get a new rod inserted every 6 months or so.

Thank you everyone he's still in a lot of pain but the pain meds are starting to work on him he's still really scared so he gets worked up bad every time I need to move him. I feel like I've been do the doctors so much this past few month I have a 3 month old that was born with stage 4 urinary reflex and has both kidneys dialated the first 2 month were a nightmare but he was put on meds a few weeks ago and it's been such a great change he's so much happier and. Not in pain anymore

That really sucks.  My son who is now in high school as broken both arms over the past few years, one on a play date, the other in Phys. Ed.  Last year we added a broken thumb to the list  - also in phys. Ed.

He does not feel pain like most people - a scratch or minor cut is worse for him than anything he broke.  Walked around with a broken arm for 4 days each time before we knew he needed a doctor - nurse at school said just a sprain, go to class here is a ice pack. For him it was just some minor discomfort until we grabbed his hand on day four.

At least there was no screaming, but we never really know how hurt he may be if something happens to him. 

He started out in the NICU for respiratory distress for his first 15 days of life.  Since then he has played lacross and football, and tried cross-country (said it was too boring for him).  They bounce back pretty well.  Just have to cope with his ADHD.

For some people, the following may help with pain:

• cool room temp
  • favorite music or movie (good distraction to ignore the discomfort temporarily)
  • something funny (comedy show, cartoons, jokes) - laughter is suppose to be good medicine (except broken rib or sore throat)

Most people I know went down to just Tylenol after a week or so.

One of the guys I ran track with had broken both his legs by the time he was in 6th grade.  He could race anyone while he was on crutches too.

It gets better.  Atleast you can tell that your kid is hurt and try to help him.  Not knowing for sure if they are hurt always leave doubt in your mind.