True definition of a "meat hunter"?

TeeBugg

You don't need to know the rules , you need to know about ethical hunting .

Your putting deer on a pedestal. What would you do with a fox or coyote that you shot that didn't want to mount? A coyote is a lot tougher to kill than a whitetail deer. If somebody wants to leave deer in the woods, that's their choice. I don't do that, but its not my place to judge. I left squirrels in the woods that I shot with a pellet gun as a kid.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

I asked the dog question a couple pages back. I had a guy at camp that didn't like venison so I asked what he does with it.

He said his dog is on a raw diet so it comes in handy. I was left wondering if I was ok with the idea. I kind of let it go, to each his own. He bought the tag and could do whatever he wanted with the deer. I have seen people use every little piece of a deer, my neighbor does this. I have seen guys cut out the back straps and hind quarters and the rest left to rot. I'm not saying this is wrong but for me I have too much respect for the deer. This animal gives me so much enjoyment to watch and to be able to harvest to feed myself and my family. 

Original post: To me a meat hunter is someone who will fill all tags disregarding antler size. Size of deer comes into play not harvesting anything under 1.5 years of age.

Edited by First-light

To let it rot when there are other options is just lazy. Of course there can be exceptions like nuisance animals, but when a guy spends hours in a treestand hunting, then won't take the time to take care of the meat, he is just being lazy and unethical.

my family are meat hunters we look for the does with out young ones but will not shoot that years young and will take any buck that has 3points one side we also hunt for the big bone heads and we dont shoot unless its going to be a kill NO brown and down BUT LATE MUZZEL LOADER WE TURN ANY tag in to a doe tag as the law states

So then you have a problem with most guys on this very forum. Why do you think people post pictures of their trail cams and their harvests on the Internet? I love seeing and reading stories as the next guy on here, but lets face it, its all about the bragging rights. Lets just call a spade a spade.

url]

The forum is no different than my group of hunting buddies. We share stories, tactics, ask questions and tactics. Of course it's nice to share the big bucks. I rarely send pics of a doe to my friends, but always share the bucks... Even the small ones.

80% of the bucks I've killed have come after a doe has passed. I know a hunter who is frustrated that all he shoots is doe. He never waits to see what's behind her. Fill your freezer is totally cool with me as long as you're not complaining about not shooting big bucks. Seems most people hunt for their own reasons. That should be how it is.

• Like 1

I have my own opinions but I try my best to be understanding of everyone on this forum for the sake of our sport. I will say though that if someone shoots a small deer and feels the need to explain to everyone his reasoning for shooting it, in the sense of, "I know it's not that big but it's a buck", or "I wasn't sure what it was but I knew it was a buck" then don't shoot the damn deer because you obviously are being selfish and knew full well that others would raise eye brows at the animals size. I know a guy who shoots scrubs every year and it's not for the meat or because he enjoys the sport and any deer is a trophy, it's because he's a yuppy and he thinks that trigger finger makes him a hunter.

I have my own opinions but I try my best to be understanding of everyone on this forum for the sake of our sport. I will say though that if someone shoots a small deer and feels the need to explain to everyone his reasoning for shooting it, in the sense of, "I know it's not that big but it's a buck", or "I wasn't sure what it was but I knew it was a buck" then don't shoot the damn deer because you obviously are being selfish and knew full well that others would raise eye brows at the animals size. I know a guy who shoots scrubs every year and it's not for the meat or because he enjoys the sport and any deer is a trophy, it's because he's a yuppy and he thinks that trigger finger makes him a hunter.

90% of hunters would rather lose their fingers than have to say they didnt kill a buck that year. I have heard so many times after a little guy is shot..Oh it was in thick brush or it was moving through the trees fast. If you take a small buck, so be it but to kill a little guy and then make excuses to others as to why you pulled the trigger???  Some just have to have bone of some kind i guess. Their Choice!

It's just my opinion. If a person has a tag to kill a deer and does so, and then decides to kill a deer and just leave it where it lays or just ditch it somewhere..... Then I call BS. That person, in my opinion, is not a hunter, but more likely an attention whore. In a lot of cases He/she wants to be thought of as some bad ass, great white hunter who wants to prove him/her self by how many kills they stack up. Wasting a deer makes no sense to me.

What if he dumps the whole deer but saves the ribs? And has stated he doesn't eat the meat or care about horns?

I asked the dog question a couple pages back. I had a guy at camp that didn't like venison so I asked what he does with it.

He said his dog is on a raw diet so it comes in handy. I was left wondering if I was ok with the idea. I kind of let it go, to each his own. He bought the tag and could do whatever he wanted with the deer.

In my mind, this is a little sad (on the part of the guy who used their venison for dog food). Not that I am against hunting, killing, eating meat...quite the contrary.

Why this doesn't sit quite right with me is that deer and other wild game are not a completely renewable resource...meaning we don't raise them in pens, control how they are fed, and genetically modify them. Once we overdo it and start taking too many from the environment, we run the risk of extermination. We've seen this before in this country, and I'd like to think we've learned a little since the old days of market hunting. Just my $.02, but there are too many people who would benefit from a donation of healthy meat, without resorting to giving it to dogs.

And yes, I realize there are small parts of your state (and mine) where deer are overabundant and a nuisance. What puzzles me is that the majority of these areas and "hunts" are not frequently advertised to hunters (unless I'm just plain out of the "loop"). I'd love to get a crack at a deer in a nuisance area.

90% of hunters would rather lose their fingers than have to say they didnt kill a buck that year. I have heard so many times after a little guy is shot..Oh it was in thick brush or it was moving through the trees fast. If you take a small buck, so be it but to kill a little guy and then make excuses to others as to why you pulled the trigger???  Some just have to have bone of some kind i guess. Their Choice!

A little more than 100,000 bucks are killed by over 600,000 hunters every year.

That is less than a 20% success rate.

So 90% of the the hunters that have a few years in the field are running around not able to properly clean their nose.  :D

• Like 2

Well, put me in the 10% then I guess. I would really prefer to NOT kill a buck and take does.  If I could trade my buck license for another doe tag, I'd do it in a heartbeat.   Much better taste IMO. If you want does culled out but you're only a horny hunter - give a shout - I'll take out the baldies if you've got the tags! ;)

As for people who let the meat rot/go to waste;  they should be hung by their heals and fed Ex-lax!  (think about that... :D)

There are PLENTY of people out of work who would LOVE to have that to feed their families!  Don't know anyone like that?  You're lucky!  But there are plenty of programs that will take donated meat, Feed The Hungry comes to mind.  You want to shoot animals and just let 'em go to waste, take up yote hunting. 

No excuse for landowners either!  Have a deer problem?  Have N tags?  I guarantee if you put the word out there will be more guys at your door begging for the tags then you could count and who will USE the animal vs wasting it. Alaska has the right idea regarding the wasting of game meat.

• Like 3

And yes, I realize there are small parts of your state (and mine) where deer are overabundant and a nuisance. What puzzles me is that the majority of these areas and "hunts" are not frequently advertised to hunters (unless I'm just plain out of the "loop"). I'd love to get a crack at a deer in a nuisance area.

And I bet the majority of the areas where deer are "overabundant", you have people who whine and *itch about them but refuse to let people hunt them.  Drives me absolutely NUTS!  (Short trip)

• Like 1

If you take a small buck, so be it but to kill a little guy and then make excuses to others as to why you pulled the trigger???  Some just have to have bone of some kind i guess. Their Choice!

Yeah, and I've heard you say in other posts that those who shoot a 1.5 year old buck are shooting the dumbest deer in the woods as a put down to those hunters.  You wouldn't hear any excuses from many of us for killing that small buck, but I have a hunch that you still wouldn't like it...

Boy I may get smashed here but

I consider myself a meat hunter #1 goal for me is putting Venison in the freezer & on the table

I don't care about points, Boone & crocket, Pope & young, age

I determine what I will take from hunt to hunt personally I draw the line on spots & milk moustaches

I do use every bit of the deer I can Liver is one I give away

per pound venison is expensive (gear licenses ect...)

we all have different ways of hunting & different goals I put no hunter down for the way they hunt as long as legal means were taken

what they do with the animal afterwards is their business whether I like it or agree with it

Ethics are at the top of my list but we have to face the fact that not all people are ethical

• Like 4

I consider myself a meat hunter #1 goal for me is putting Venison in the freezer & on the table

I determine what I will take from hunt to hunt personally I draw the line on spots & milk moustaches

we all have different ways of hunting & different goals I put no hunter down for the way they hunt as long as legal means were taken

what they do with the animal afterwards is their business whether I like it or agree with it

Ethics are at the top of my list but we have to face the fact that not all people are ethical

well said................my thoughts exactly.

I agree with everything except the blue.  Wasting it just really irks me to no end. As I said before, there are hungry people who it would feed.  You don't want it?  You just shooting it because it's a nuisance? You just like to kill?  I don't care your reasoning for killing it, I'm fine with you're killing it for whatever reason, as long as it's taken in a legal manor. - I just get PO'd about wasting it.

• Like 1

I hunt because I love it. I try to fill all my tags to help the herd get through winter and reduce car deer interactions. (And cos I love the rush of either outwitting a deer during bow or the magic of dropping something at 250 yards)

I fill my own freezer and a few friends, if there was too much to go round then there's always the food bank. (Hasn't happened yet)

The state doesn't give out tags for fun... they need a certain number of deer "managed" and I try to do my part.

I dont spray and pray, I try to "snipe" with my rifle, one shot clean kills. I don't shoot immature bucks, though in the past I have taken some BB's. On my property and my neighboring properties we agreed to eights or ears unless its someone's first deer , then they can take whatever they are happy to take

So what kind of hunter am I?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I hunt because I love it. I try to fill all my tags to help the herd get through winter and reduce car deer interactions. (And cos I love the rush of either outwitting a deer during bow or the magic of dropping something at 250 yards)

I fill my own freezer and a few friends, if there was too much to go round then there's always the food bank. (Hasn't happened yet)

The state doesn't give out tags for fun... they need a certain number of deer "managed" and I try to do my part.

I dont spray and pray, I try to "snipe" with my rifle, one shot clean kills. I don't shoot immature bucks, though in the past I have taken some BB's. On my property and my neighboring properties we agreed to eights or ears unless its someone's first deer , then they can take whatever they are happy to take

So what kind of hunter am I?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

x00060184CA6LDULR_zps924a686c.gif

Oh, and since this thread is about "meat hunters", I am still stumped over why anyone would get excited in the least over eating deer ribs?  Now, I honestly don't care what people want to eat, they can even eat the hair and skin for all I care, I use as much of the deer myself as I possibly can, but exactly how much meat are you getting from deer ribs, even if they were prepared in the greatest of ways??  Like a couple of millimeters worth between each rib??  Between the fat and silver skin, I sure as hell don't see much meat there.  Maybe you dudes are just pulling our legs here, but I simply don't see what could possibly be appealing about deer ribs????  I think the fat that I'd carve off the deer hind quarters would be less chewy than those bloody ribs!!

I agree with everything except the blue.  Wasting it just really irks me to no end. As I said before, there are hungry people who it would feed.  You don't want it?  You just shooting it because it's a nuisance? You just like to kill?  I don't care your reasoning for killing it, I'm fine with you're killing it for whatever reason, as long as it's taken in a legal manor. - I just get PO'd about wasting it.

Steve I agree It rubs me the wrong way to but you can not reason with people like this

If I saw it I would probably let them leave & take the rest butcher it myself & donate it

• Like 1