blaze orange or mostly camo

aqua750

hey guys  Im just  curious on private land what do you wear, say 90%camo with a  orange hat and maybe orange gloves  OR  the  pumkin suit,  on state land I always wear  orange from the waist up, I used to wear the orange jacket  for a lot of years  until I hooked up with a group of  old buddies who told me If I switched to camo I would  see more deer and get more opportunities to shoot!  Well I know that deer are suposed to see shades but  not colors   BUT  man they were right  hands down  In my  opinion It  was a real game changer and I never looked backl . what do all you guys think???

i agree... always wore blaze orange...switched to blaze orange camo.. saw more deer. now wear. blaze orange camo pants w/ bib. ( this way easily seen walking in and out of woods).. in stand ground blind wear camo jacket, mask, and  baseball hat but, put orange wool cap on top.. have deer walk within 10 yards on a ground blind never detected.  

bingo!  your face and especially  your  eyes  sometimes I take off the orange hat  and hang it from the tree or what ever im using for cover  I feel that with the orange hat on the deer will detect the movement  of my head  moving up and down when Im falling asleep  ha ha

• Like 1

If there is any kind of gun season for deer going on, I wear lots of blaze orange. That is regardless of whether it is public or private land. By the way, with today's trespassing problems, and the frequent reports of hunting partners shooting each other, I don't see any difference between public and private land on that score.

• Like 1

I saw the benefit of blaze orange while hunting around Tobyhanna in NE PA.  I was standing on top of a "mountain" in a powerline.  The line went straight, down one "mountain" through the valley, up over another "mountain" and another valley, then up again to where I clearly saw a guy in blaze orange.  He had to be 3/4 of a mile away and I could clearly see the blaze. And that's with no snow down.

I saw the benefit of blaze orange while hunting around Tobyhanna in NE PA.  I was standing on top of a "mountain" in a powerline.  The line went straight, down one "mountain" through the valley, up over another "mountain" and another valley, then up again to where I clearly saw a guy in blaze orange.  He had to be 3/4 of a mile away and I could clearly see the blaze. And that's with no snow down.

I see the benefits every year. I can't say how many times I have spotted that flash of orange even before I could tell there was a hunter out there. Even when the lighting isn't all that great that blaze orange catches attention. I am always hoping that when that other guy is swinging his scope across the woods intent on settling it in on a deer maybe it will be that little flash of orange that I'm wearing that will stop him from pulling that trigger. I know that it has stopped some petty unsafe stand set-ups from happening. It's not all that rare that I have had to move to another stand because I spotted that orange of another hunter posted in the area. Yeah, I'm a believer ..... pretty much fanatical about it.

• Like 2

I had a trespasser pop up just 50 or so yrds behind a doe I was about to pull the trigger on...had he not had an orange hat on ...well it could have been very bad....He saw all the trucks drive off and came up off his place below us in the valley....Let me tell ya...they could have heard me screaming at him in Hornell...scared the crap out of me...I can't  believe he'd actually told me that either...how dumb can one person be??...he's luck I take the time to get a good aim.....