Sooo pissed at myself right now.....

ants

I don't think pouring rain = a little rain. There is a difference when it comes to tracking deer.

Some hunters are great shots, some are great at tracking, and then there are those that are good for nothing. Making the choice to take a deer in pouring rain is an ethical choice, no right or wrong, but very gray(like the hair in this shot). Knowing your limits and respecting your game is more important IMO than pounding on one's chest and taking bad shots, in bad weather. Odds start to stack up against the hunter, and this is what happens.

Then he brings out his dog to help search? Got a permit for that?

What's worse is this hunter is going to sit and hunt Sat again THEN go look for his injured game animal... Wow! Any hunter that injures a deer like this should do the right thing and rip up their tag for the season.

This thread reeks of unethical, illegal, and is a bad role model for new hunters reading.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

hence why the guy said he has passed up many deer if he felt the odds stacked against him and couldn't make a good shot. He has confidence and knew he could make a good shot. Mistakes happen, even with blue sunny skies. Just because he said he is going out Saturday it doesnt mean to shoot another deer. He was going to listen for some evidence and who knows maybe get another shot at the buck. Long shot and farfetched but ya never know. My buddy shot a nice buck in the p1$S pouring rain last year at night. Smoked it, no blood trail, dead within 75 yards. Once again, get off this guys back. It aint 5-0 and you sure as h*ll aint the po-po

Am wondering whether your broadheads were fixed blade or expandable,and how hard was it raining? 24 yards with fixed blades in pouring rain could drive that arrow down pretty quick.

Are you claiming that a fixed broad head in heavy rains will hit 4-8 inches lower than a mechanical?

All I'll say is ...Sorry ..hope you did find him and ..lighted noc's....When the shot on the 6pt left my bow.......... I saw that bright green noc and was able to follow it........ then when it hit the branch, follow where it wobbled off to with no problem...PS ..branch is cut now...but had it made it to the buck I would have been able to see exactly where the hit would have been....has me sold on them now...

So if you have a big buck in front of you that you have waited all season for, practiced months during the off-time, have him at 20 yards, and you are going to let him go because of a little rain? That just shows you have a lack of confidence in killing a deer, with or without rain.

Ya you have me all figured out, I stink at bow hunting and haven't killed any ever.

How did shooting one in the rain work out for ants? Not so good huh. Even it's a found deer the meat is no longer good from sitting out in warm temps.

• Like 2

I don't think pouring rain = a little rain. There is a difference when it comes to tracking deer.

Some hunters are great shots, some are great at tracking, and then there are those that are good for nothing. Making the choice to take a deer in pouring rain is an ethical choice, no right or wrong, but very gray(like the hair in this shot). Knowing your limits and respecting your game is more important IMO than pounding on one's chest and taking bad shots, in bad weather. Odds start to stack up against the hunter, and this is what happens.

Then he brings out his dog to help search? Got a permit for that?

What's worse is this hunter is going to sit and hunt Sat again THEN go look for his injured game animal... Wow! Any hunter that injures a deer like this should do the right thing and rip up their tag for the season.

This thread reeks of unethical, illegal, and is a bad role model for new hunters reading.

I actualy agree with parts of what you said, imagine that.

• Like 2

Then your saying you would'nt hunt in the rain is that correct?

First off, I want to say I'm not picking on the OP...not my intent, and not my style. Hope it's not taken that way. Hope he finds the deer, I'd call the dog trackers.

If it's raining steadily, and rain is in the forecast, no, I would not bow hunt in the rain. I lost track of how many deer I've killed with a bow or crossbow, it would be in the 30s I believe. Unless they are spined, they don't drop on the spot, sometimes you can see them run, wobble, drop, and crash, but usually they run a short way, you lose sight of them and have to do some tracking; that is where a rainy situation hurts you. I'm also VERY hesitant to draw on a deer & shoot at twilight if rain is in the forecast, for this exact reason. I don't have anything to prove, and I've lost a few deer bow hunting....I'd rather go home empty-handed then deal with crippling a deer, and having to keep coming back searching, searching, searching...it's a lousy feeling that I know too well.

With a rifle or slug-gun...no problem hunting in the rain. Aim for the shoulders, and they'll drop on the spot. Every time. Just make sure of your shot before you pull the trigger.

Edited by Uncle Nicky
  • Like 3

Ya you have me all figured out, I stink at bow hunting and haven't killed any ever.

How did shooting one in the rain work out for ants? Not so good huh. Even it's a found deer the meat is no longer good from sitting out in warm temps.

You would fit right in at my camp! Lol

Well this guy just proved my point to a tee. Wont go out hunting with a bow in the rain but will with gun. A little contradicting I might say.

Ive seen some big bucks in lousy weather, that I choose to hunt in. Also, shooting one in the rain and shooting one and then having it start raining 5 minutes later is no different either. It should have nothing to do with the shot.

I would love to be sitting in a tree with some of these people. Have them shoot a deer and then have it start raining, an honest mistake. "Look at what you just did! Its raining now and you shot that buck, you... you bast***."

Good luck with the recovery and hope you find him.  My 8 this year went 170 yards double lunged through heavy heavy cover.  Died in a field next to a pond and we found him after a 2 hours search. Use deer search if you have to.  

Here is something to keep in the back of your mind.............If you kill a deer in the late afternoon with a decent shot, then recover it, dress it and haul it out, try and visit the area again the next day after a rain.  You might be surprised with what you can still see.  The blood doesn't get washed away as quick as some might think.

Same thing goes for a couple/few inches of snow AFTER you have a good blood trail down.

Just keep it in mind if the situation arises..................................

• Like 1

Well this guy just proved my point to a tee. Wont go out hunting with a bow in the rain but will with gun. A little contradicting I might say.

Ive seen some big bucks in lousy weather, that I choose to hunt in. Also, shooting one in the rain and shooting one and then having it start raining 5 minutes later is no different either. It should have nothing to do with the shot.

I would love to be sitting in a tree with some of these people. Have them shoot a deer and then have it start raining, an honest mistake. "Look at what you just did! Its raining now and you shot that buck, you... you bast***."

What's so hard to understand?

I know that if I shoot an arrow into a deer under the best of circumstances, that it will not drop on the spot, unless spined. General school of thought is wait about 1/2 hour if you are confident you made a good shot, and start tracking. In the pouring rain, good chance any blood spots may be washed away, and you'll be looking for blood in leaves that are red, yellow, and brown that are wet. Without a pass-through, the trail is even harder to pick up.

If I take a good shot with a slug gun or rifle through the shoulders, I know the deer will drop on the spot.

I don't need to kill any deer so badly that I'm left thinking "I hope this works out".

I guess it all comes down to ethics, and how some of us feel we have to compensate for our "short"comings. :D

Edited by Uncle Nicky

That is one benefit of some of the new technology. I can have immediate access to the doppler radar in my stand and assist in making decissions that are right for you.

Still don't understand how this stands on the grounds of ethics.  That's a little harsh to call this guy an unethical hunter for taking a comfortable shot in the rain.  I would have to assume it's the people that wont post about their ACTUAL unethical decisions so we can't lash out at them.

Edited by LuckyPickle123

Still don't understand how this stands on the grounds of ethics.  That's a little harsh to call this guy an unethical hunter for taking a comfortable shot in the rain.  I would have to assume it's the people that wont post about their ACTUAL unethical decisions so we can't lash out at them.

Why do I let myself get sucked into these discussions.... :suicide:

I didn't say ants was unethical, actually, I didn't say or even try to imply anything about him at all. I'm just trying to pass on my experience and what I was taught by responsible bow hunters before me. If I'm lashing at anyone, it's you and how you are trying to convince others that it's perfectly normal to hunt & take shots at a deer with a bow in the pouring rain.

If I am going to make any assumption about ants and his post at all, it would be that hopefully he's learned a little from this, and I hope he finds the deer & posts a pic. :)

• Like 1