Reloading cost vs store bought ammo

Doewhacker

Rule of thumb on reloading is half the cost of store bought ammo.  I enjoy reloading and it gives me something to do in the winter months to pass some time. 

Here's some thoughts on reloading:

Start saving your brass, you or your friends are going to want it. 

People focus on speed, I have a Dillon 550b and I can probably load about 200 rds/hr.  I don't really know because I like to take my time reloading.  I don't want it to go fast, I'm doing it to fill idle time.

I have my press set up in my cabin in my backyard.  I put on some itunes and roll a few rounds.  I can walk up to the press start turning out rounds, and walk away a few minutes later.  There is nothing to clean up or set up.  Just put in a case, set a bullet, and pull the handle.  My wife will go out to the cabin to smoke a cigarette, I usually go out with her and while she has a cig, I'll turn out a few rounds.

Pistol is easy to load, rifle gets slightly more detailed.

Components are becoming more available.  I check Cabela's everyday, not so much to purchase, but as a reference to check supply and demand. 

Primers have consistently been in stock at Cabela's for about 2 months now.  Powder more available over the past 6 weeks. 

I used my Iphone to take a picture of the 9mm chart in my reloading book.  It is quick and easy for me to check the photo and see which powders I can use for my loads.  My total investment for my press, dies, tumbler, scale, caliper, and cases gauge was about $650.  Each caliber I add will be about $120

My wife just called me to let me know a very heavy delivery just arrived from Cabela's.  I told her not to lift it but she already hauled it into the living room.  2lbs powder, 2000 small pistol primers, 2000 124gr FMJ 9mm bullets. $286+ $5 shipping and $20 Hazmat fee.

Primers and powder are subject to Hazmat fee, Cabela's charges $20 on the total shipment, others charge more.

I have seen primers available at Dicks on Long Island.

I believe more and more NY'ers will be reloading due to cost, lack of supply, and the insane safe act laws enacted by our retarded Governor.

post-2199-0-01146500-1383851756_thumb.jp

If there is anyway that you can get an experienced loader to sit down with you, by all means, do it. There are so many things that can be read wrong, or mis-understood that someone watching or instructing you could head off for you. I did all the reading first and then had my Brother-in-law sit down and watch while I first reloaded, and he gave me some tips that weren't in the books, or that were in the books but I hadn't really understood them right. He saved me messing up a lot of components and perhaps even creating some dangerous loads.

If you are going to buy and intend on reloading as a life long hobby.Don.t buy Cheap.Buy components that you can get bench rest quality rounds from. I started reloading just for my hunting ammo Many years ago and eventualy got hooked on bench rest shooting. My first press was one of the turrent type presses, it has sat in the closet for the last 20 years. They are good for reloading shot gun shells.But I have a file cabnet draw of various shot gun rounds.No need to reload them.I have a RCBS rock chucker press, it's a rock solid press and 99% of my dies are RCBS brand.Can't beat there  quality.I have bought a good amount of supplies from Midsouth Shooters threw the years also.

Hint: If you are reloading a round for one specific firearm, You Do Not have to Full length resize the case, all you have to do is resize the neck of the case and RCBS sells dies just for that. You can fire that case many times before full length resizing.

Like everything else the cleaner and burr free the better.My tumbler has also sat under the bench for so long I cannot remember when I used it last. A package of neck cleaning brushes,primer pocket cleaners and a good liquid case cleaner will get it done. Buy reloading books from Bullet companies and the compsny you get your reloading components from.

If there is anyway that you can get an experienced loader to sit down with you, by all means, do it. There are so many things that can be read wrong, or mis-understood that someone watching or instructing you could head off for you. I did all the reading first and then had my Brother-in-law sit down and watch while I first reloaded, and he gave me some tips that weren't in the books, or that were in the books but I hadn't really understood them right. He saved me messing up a lot of components and perhaps even creating some dangerous loads.

I plan on taking a ride after season to see Culvers set up hopefully. The good thing is there is a bunch of info and videos out on reloading and I have been reading every thing I can on it.