Rage 2 blade vs Grim Reaper 3 blade

Guns&ReligionCop

So last year I purchased the Rage 2 blade 2" cut from a guy of here for a really good price and figured I would give it a shot. I've had nothing but success with the Grim reapers with a 100% recovery rate but the price was right. So this year I got my first doe with a Rage. It was a double shot just behind the heart. That deer ran for close to half mile bleeding but never what you would expect with size of a wound through the chest. The second doe I shot with the reaper the shot was the above the heart and shattered the far shoulder dropping the doe in about 20 feet. Needless to say when I shot my buck I had the reaper on my string. I had a quartering away shot that arrow sliced the liver into the chest and shattered the far front leg killing the deer practically instantly. I'll use the rage still as long as I have them but I definitely will be sticking with the grim reapers!

Grim Reapers are the only mech head I will shoot. I've had results that go against anything I would expect - in a good way. I don't shoot a fast/high momentum/KE bow and I shoot about an average weight arrow. The results have been nothing short of impressive for me.

Outside of GR, Slick Tricks for blinds and when I feel like switching things up.

I should clarify that I have in the past shot Rage and had lesser results in that time.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

Geno it was a double lung shot, It obviously hit vitals or the deer wouldn't have died. I'll post the pic of the shot after I get back from work. Obviously any good shot will kill a deer but some heads are definitely better and more effective than others and My opinion is that The grim reapers are a lot more effective. 

I've killed quite a few deer with the reapers. With good results for the most part. Even though I shoot a faster bow I have not been overly impressed with their sharpness though. I figured I would give the new rage 2.3" with the cut on contact tip (razor sharp)a try this year..so far so good 1 agent through the shoulder blade and stoped just shy of hide on other side died within 40 yds..Another .quartering away shot got liver and 2 lungs, broadhead was buried in the dirt..that deer went less than 100 yds..both the grim reaper and rage blades were junk after passing through shoulders..In my experience ,I could shoot a deer tomorrow in same spot with the same head and have totally different results. I swithed to open on impact a few years ago for 2 reasons. One my bow was out of tune and it was too close to the season and I didn't want to tinker. 2_ most of the time my poorly hit deer are hit too far back and not in bone. Therefore a bigger hole seemed better..lol

• Like 1

Guns&ReligionCop - Sorry to hear about your experience with the Rage! That's why I got rid of them! The first few deer I shot with the Rage 2 blade was a bloodbath. Don't know if something changed in their blade process or what, but I started losing deer with what looked like perfect shots or had them go ~100+ yards with little to no bloodtrail! (Don't even understand how that could be possible, but it certainily is!) After I started having issues with them, I started doing some google searches, and it sounded like a common complaint with the Rage 2 blade! You either get a bloodbath for a bloodtrail or practically NO bloodtrail!! (Horizontal vs Vertical cuts?) You either love 'em OR hate 'em... 

Geno it was a double lung shot, It obviously hit vitals or the deer wouldn't have died. I'll post the pic of the shot after I get back from work. Obviously any good shot will kill a deer but some heads are definitely better and more effective than others and My opinion is that The grim reapers are a lot more effective. 

thats what i was figuring you said

you had a double lung hit deer run a half mile? double lung, half mile?? and you hit it with a rage. you dont have to hit vitals for a deer do die but a double lung shot should go no more then 50 yards. even a deer booking it in a mad ash wont clear 100 yards or so on a DL shot. 

you should have played lotto after that shot, because thats a first....

I have taken deer with both the Grim Reaper's and the Shawackers. I had deer drop on the spot with a Grim Reaper, and also had them run 100 yards. I shot a buck this year with a Shawacker and after about 10 feet it was a blood bath, but he still went about 100 yards. The Shawacker put a 2 inch hole right through his rib cage.

i use the rage the damn things keep opening up i was target shooting  one blade opened when i was drawing back very difficult to keep the blade in the o ring . ibought the replacement blades what a joke need a vice and a hammer and a nail to  get out the pin threw them out and bought bnew @ $40.00 a pop plus $22.00 for the rplacement blades its expensive

i use the rage the damn things keep opening up i was target shooting one blade opened when i was drawing back very difficult to keep the blade in the o ring . ibought the replacement blades what a joke need a vice and a hammer and a nail to get out the pin threw them out and bought bnew @ $40.00 a pop plus $22.00 for the rplacement blades its expensive

If the blades keep opening up, grab the o-ring with your finger and twist it a bit to an unworn location. They won't open up... Or shoot the shock collars and problem solved. Mine never open on me... Some guys may be more rugged with their equipment then others

Might be in my head but I like the idea of having 3 cutting surfaces instead of 2.

I feel the opposite is true..

3 blades leaves a hyde-flap that can clog the hole...2 blades leave a massive slice pulled and held open by the tension of the Hyde.post-1622-13843014098783_thumb.jpgpost-1622-1384301442249_thumb.jpg

That's a lung hanging out the entry wound in the first pick. That deer went 40 yds lung-heart-lung.

Second pic is my 3rd antlerless this year, double lunged ran 80...could fit my hand/forearm thru the wound channel...the last 40yd their was probably a liter of blood in 36" puddle every 5 yards.

All four of my deer died within 15 seconds even the one hit in the femoral, she dropped in 20 yds.

Arrow passed thru the rib cage on my buck but lodged in the opposite foreleg...could see blood pouring out of the enrty wound as he ran 60 and piled up on front of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager

if you double lung a deer and it runs any kind of distance, it's the deer that did it, not the failure of the broadhead.............some deer just react differently than others, I have personally had double lung deer run close to 200 yards, and what does that take, a few seconds?

When rage first came out i played with them- had a bunch of  Oring issues and the one deer i shot wiht them the blades were bent and the edge was turned over- very poor broadhead...but am not sure if the new ones work better or just have new marketing for a similar inferior product.

I shoot reapers- and have for 5-6 years..... hated mechanicals prior but they tune easier and kill well. Guessing 12-15 kills and one loss. The loss was my fault. The broadheads did there part every time. I do agree that theyre not the sharpest..BUT i found a cheap and pretty amazing fix. A cheap Smiths boradhead sharpener from cabelas or gander works wonders on these. I have actually resharpened some used blades and used them again. This is something i never thought should be done.  I also sharpen then blades new. Easy fast and works wonders in terms of ethical kills.

Just my two cents...

• Like 1