Weekend Wind & Weather Shift

Meat Manager

I just go out till cold 1.5 Hours or so. Then head in get warm and get back out before everyone else gets cold...its not the cold that get deer moving its the cold hunters moving around getting the deer moving. Go out when most are headed in...works for me over 20 years now.

If extereme weather, I stay home.  Need the fingers to stay employeed working on computer systems.

I wear multiple layers starting with thermals.  If I can squeeze it in, an old 100% wool Woolrich jacket and my blaze orange insulated jacket.  I have a pair of baggy fleece-lined climbing pants that I wear a pair of moisture-wicking pants over, followed by my hunting pants.

Toss a pair of toe warmers in my insulated boots and wear wool socks.  Place mega warmer on lower back in my base layers for very cold days.  Have hand warmers to drop in my insulated gauntlet-type gloves.

I have my grandfathers zippo hand warmer, but not tried it yet.

when I take a lunch break (by my vehicle) I pull out a stove and fix some soup and hot cider.

My dad takes a thermos of hot spiced tea - but that is not my cup of tea.  Orange herbal tea  :bad:  - only ever choked down 3 sips just to warm up.

If my feet and lower back get cold, I am done.  My body will start to shiver and I have to call it quits.  No fun climbing out of ladder stand that way.  For past couple years I have be ground hunting. Huddle down behind a big tree for a wind block.  Pile some leaves up in front to keep the heat close to you and sit on a hot seat - beats the cold ground or hard rock wall sticking into your bottom.

Right now it is low 40's and rainy by me.  Weather is supposed to break this afternoon.  Had to work remotely from home this morning even though I took vacation time starting today.  Hopefully something will be moving this afternoon.

Its effective and a whole lot of fun too. You'll be surprised the new bow stands you find still hunting through gun season

Dude, get out of the tree stand and still hunt. Its very effective, especially in the wind. Find where they are bedding down and approach those areas from downwind slowly and carefully.

I have a wind shear sweater, jacket and pants that I bought through Cabelas. They are

very pricey but very much worth the money spent. It's also amazing how much warmer my

whole body is when I wear a very heavy hat instead of just a ball cap. My feet, now

that's another story. I have 2000 gram boots and they do nothing to keep my feet warm.

Oh, the glories of being a female....we are just prone to having cold feet no matter

what!

As for the weather....it's supposed to snow 7 inches or more Saturday night. Can't wait

for Sunday to sneak through the wind and snow.

• Like 1

Dude, get out of the tree stand and still hunt. Its very effective, especially in the wind. Find where they are bedding down and approach those areas from downwind slowly and carefully.

Yeah I'm not wandering through the woods during gun season. Too many idiots shooting when the bushes move.

I'll be you $1M that if you don't go out, you won't shoot a deer.

Oh I'm sure I'll be out, just complaining the whole time lol.

How do you guys stay warm enough to stay out when it's real windy and temps are in the 10-20°F range? I am not being sarcastic, I genuinely am curious. I have a really nice thermal balaclava for my head/neck and layer up otherwise, but the wind just seems to cut through me at those temperatures. I still hunt (very slow walk) in these conditions and just get so darned cold after a few hours.

It has taken me many years to get the science of staying warm down. I now have Under Armour base layers (The skin tight one as the first layer and then their "tree stand" layer as a second layer). I then wear sweatpants and and an Under Armour hoody followed by my outer layer of Scentblocker triple threat pants and coat. The nice thing about the triple threat is that it's windproof and waterproof. The biggest problem for me has been my hands and feet. I've finally found the solution to that and shockingly enough its very simple. I wear gloves and throw handwarmer packs in my pockets and just keep my hands in my pockets. My feet is a different story though. I haven't found the right setup for that yet apparently since my feet freeze every time I go out. I use wool socks and my boots are 1,000 gram insulated. I have even tried the heat packs in the toes of the boots but they don't work for crap. I'm about to try the Thermacell heated insoles but the reviews are very mixed on them to say the least.

• Like 1

Walder, I only still hunt private property I'm 99.9% sure I'm alone on and I wear a lot of Orange-Camo.

Jennifer, think warm thoughts.

In extreme cold I go wick layer, thermal layer, scentlok baseslayer, fleece vest, insulated bibs, insulated coat, neck gator, fleece hat, smartwool socks (wicking & wool hunting) and hothands brand warmers behind my neck and under my toes.

Whatever you do don't constrict yourself with too many tight layers, and don't use bootwarmers unless you have roomy boots. Good circulation is key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I do appreciate them. I didn't get cold in years past, but health issues have been sneaking up on me. I will look into the underarmor products and start saving up for next year.

I just go out till cold 1.5 Hours or so. Then head in get warm and get back out before everyone else gets cold...its not the cold that get deer moving its the cold hunters moving around getting the deer moving. Go out when most are headed in...works for me over 20 years now.

I don't know what it is, but other than opening day and maybe Thanksgiving day, the two areas I hunt just don't have folks around. In years past-- just like you said, I used to see deer "gently bumped" around by guys leaving around noon and so on. Now there seem to be no guys, so I try to plan for an all day if I can manage it. I'm far enough away that taking a break would turn into an event if my dad is with me.  It's neat that some of you guys have camps nearby, that is pretty cool. Maybe someday for me!

I'm type 1 insulin dependent and cold feet are always a problem I wear GI surplus Mickey Mouse boots. I have 2 pair. One is 2 sizes larger and I put a pair of 200 gram insulated liners in them for when it is very cold. I have the ones with the air valves to inlate while at altitude. I take a 5 foot section of aquarium tubing and fill them up with hit air. If my feet get cold it's too late. The Ice age is upon us.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/new-us-mickey-boots-with-valve-black.aspx?a=591923

I wish snow was in the forecast for my area

but nope just wind and rain .... and to top it all

off there's a bear that decided to make my hunting

area his home which scared the deer right out of the

Spot

Sorry to hear about your lack of forecasted snow...latest forecast up here (7j, 7f) has 3-6" by Sunday morning.

I hunt in a bear heavy area in Pa, my dad has harvested bear and deer from the same stand 3 different seasons. Last year we took four deer and a bear out of our camp from October-december.

Edited by Meat Manager

I sometimes layer to the point of ridiculousness, hah!

Ever dress with so much clothing that you have trouble pulling your scope close enough to your eye? There are times when I have to struggle to get the butt of my gun close enough to my shoulder to get the proper eye relief because of the bulk of the clothing I have piled on.

Obviously blaze orange doesn't work, we have guys shooting at moving bushes for gods sake. I'm not taking the chance.

Show me a case where someone was wearing blaze orange, and the other guy wasnt shooting after legal light. Ill send you $10 if you can.

Honestly if you are that afraid to be out there in blaze orange, why arent you afraid to sit inside a camouflage tent???

Show me a case where someone was wearing blaze orange, and the other guy wasnt shooting after legal light. Ill send you $10 if you can.

Honestly if you are that afraid to be out there in blaze orange, why arent you afraid to sit inside a camouflage tent???

I agree ground blinds seem the most dangerous in gun season, someone fooled by the Camo at distance could believe they know their target and beyond only to hit a Camo tent.

I have a wind shear sweater, jacket and pants that I bought through Cabelas. They are

very pricey but very much worth the money spent. It's also amazing how much warmer my

whole body is when I wear a very heavy hat instead of just a ball cap. My feet, now

that's another story. I have 2000 gram boots and they do nothing to keep my feet warm.

Oh, the glories of being a female....we are just prone to having cold feet no matter

what!

As for the weather....it's supposed to snow 7 inches or more Saturday night. Can't wait

for Sunday to sneak through the wind and snow.

Take a look at www.wiggys.com I hade a pair of the 2000 gram boos did not work for me either,Wiggys have a removable booty and the keep my feet warm,I bought 2 pairs of booties and alternate them.His products are not cheap but they work. 

I am the biggest sissy when it comes to cold weather. I'm tall and thin and my hands and feet absolutely freeze. It took me three years to figure out how to keep my hands and feet warm.

I wear the under armor cold gear stuff that's like wearing latex. You know that real stretchy stuff that sticks to your body? Over that I wear the under armor stuff that is like a sweatshirt and sweatpants.

I can tell you that keeping my core warm has kept my feet and hands warm. I gave up on gloves and just started putting my hands in my pockets. I've never been happier.

I put my redhead camo pants and jacket on over that. I can tell you that the wind doesn't stand a chance. I bought my second set of latex under armor just a few weeks ago. I'm good into the 20s easy. All of that gear is definitely a huge investment. But it absolutely gives me more time in the woods. There is no way I will ever buy anything else, except maybe a New pair of boots for when it's below 20.

I have packages of handwarmers and body warmers from Dick's. They are a few years old now. You're more than welcome to them. P.m. me with your address.

Edited by BackWoods Hunter

I am the biggest sissy when it comes to cold weather. I'm tall and thin and my hands and feet absolutely freeze. It took me three years to figure out how to keep my hands and feet warm. I wear the under armor cold gear stuff that's like wearing latex. You know that real stretchy stuff that sticks to your body? Over that I wear the under armor stuff that is like a sweatshirt and sweatpants. I can tell you that keeping my core warm has kept my feet and hands warm. I gave up on gloves and just started putting my hands in my pockets. I've never been happier. I put my redhead camo pants and jacket on over that. I can tell you that the wind doesn't stand a chance. I bought my second set of latex under armor just a few weeks ago. I'm good into the 20s easy. All of that gear is definitely a huge investment. But it absolutely gives me more time in the woods. There is no way I will ever buy anything else, except maybe a New pair of boots for when it's below 20. I have packages of handwarmers and body warmers from Dick's. They are a few years old now. You're more than welcome to them. P.m. me with your address.

I'm a 6' tall twig, so I hear you. Thanks for the advice!