Bought a New Toy

phade

Bought a 700 ADL (with the cheap scope) at Wal Mart on Black Friday in a .243. Got it for a cheap but decent short range deer rifle. $330 out the door.

Like the American they had there for $285 (no scope) but it was a bit front heavy with a super light stock. Axis was on my radar for $230 no scope...but a 700 is a better option I think...customizable. Ditching the scope for a Vortex and going to add a thumbhole stock after the year.

I think Livingston is going rifle next year...(my guess). I know my state sentator sent me a letter saying he was going to introduce the bill again and as history has it, if the county doesn't get it in the first go-round, they get it in the second.

• Like 2

What do you mean "SHORT RANGE" deer rifle...??

The .243, with proper bullets,is a flat shooter and is fully capable of making clean kills on deer sized game at 300+ yards...

A REAL short range deer rifle would be a .44 mag. ( 100 yards or under) A "moderatelty short range" deer rifle would be a 30-30, .35 Rem or 45-70.(200 yards or under).

But the .243 ain't no SHORT range deer rifle..

• Like 2

I agree with the longe range. My dad has a weatherby .243 and its very good at 300-400+ yards. My dad took an antelope with it at 425 yards in the 1970's with it. My mom actually shot a few whitetails with it in the catskills in the 80's.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Bought a 700 ADL (with the cheap scope) at Wal Mart on Black Friday in a .243. Got it for a cheap but decent short range deer rifle. $330 out the door.

Like the American they had there for $285 (no scope) but it was a bit front heavy with a super light stock. Axis was on my radar for $230 no scope...but a 700 is a better option I think...customizable. Ditching the scope for a Vortex and going to add a thumbhole stock after the year.

I think Livingston is going rifle next year...(my guess). I know my state sentator sent me a letter saying he was going to introduce the bill again and as history has it, if the county doesn't get it in the first go-round, they get it in the second.

Good price on a good rifle...

I have had a couple of 700s over the years ( my current go-to whitetail rifle is a 700 Mountain Rifle in 7mm08) and I have shot several others, and I have never encountered one that was not accurate. The ADL is the no frills model and perhaps not as nice cosmetically as the higher grades, but functionally it should shoot just as well. I am a proponent of good optics, but as long as the rifle has a scope on it, give it a whirl before you replace it. It might surprise you.

Back before my first Alaska hunt in '89, my partner put a cheap Bushnell on his Model 70 Winchester, much against my advice.. The scope took a beating on that trip..He dropped it and it hit a rock so hard that it actually dented the objective tube...Checked the zero and it was just fine..As far as I know he STILL hasn't had to re-sight it..Ya never know...

I just was at gander mtn. Looking to buy the Weatherby vanguard S2 in .300wsm. All I can say is their prices are crazy high, everything in that store is highly priced. Not one sale sticker in the whole place, and when it comes to competitors, there always seems to be "deals" add the pricing to the hour wait for it to be my "turn" in line (you picked a ticket like at the deli) looks like I'll be waiting to buy a new toy for me.

I just was at gander mtn. Looking to buy the Weatherby vanguard S2 in .300wsm. All I can say is their prices are crazy high, everything in that store is highly priced. Not one sale sticker in the whole place, and when it comes to competitors, there always seems to be "deals" add the pricing to the hour wait for it to be my "turn" in line (you picked a ticket like at the deli) looks like I'll be waiting to buy a new toy for me.

Ganders a joke now. Not only do their prices suck, and their lack of sales even after the season their stock and selection of everything hunting related shrink every year.

We should probably be careful with how loosely we use the term "toy". I catch myself doing it a lot and it's habit we all should try and break.

okay Cuomo... The term toy is loosely used and there is no need to be worked up over that. Handling such as a toy is a different story... But reference to a toy is just common vernacular when buying many things.
  • Like 1