My 2013 big hunting season SUCKED!

outdoorjay

So I bought for the first time a brand new bow tech assassin and I practiced every other day with it and I got really good at it. I practiced for hours. During the bow season I saw three deer all off them were on the opposite side of the land that I was hunting on all four weekends that I went hunting. no luck for bow season what so ever.. Now what really sucked the most was that during regular season I went hunting every weekend and i hunted in two different wmu every other weekend and I only saw one doe and nothing more the whole entire season! I used scent blockers with my scent locker gear and I used calls and rattle bags and still nothing. I was up in the tree no later then four

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think anyone should ever get into hunting thinking that it's a slam dunk, because it definitely is NOT.  That's why they call it hunting and not killing.  I think the big problem these days is the hunting shows on TV.  They make it look like you will be seeing deer around you at all times, and you'll get one down in about 22 minutes.  I had NO such shows to pollute my perception of hunting when I started out.  What shaped my views on hunting was what I saw in the field and by those who took me hunting, which I think might be the better way to go about it.

• Like 1

I had a few days where I didn't see a deer but had a great time. And when I say "days", I'm talking in the stand before light and staying till sundown. Time well spent away from the noise and daily stress. And not seeing deer just makes me try and figure out the area I'm hunting that much more. Back to the scouting board.

Outdoorjay, I hear what your saying . My season was just a little more productive. I hunted 62 days so far this season.  This Sunday will be the last day of this season and all I have to show is a small doe that was wounded by a slob hunter who didn't bother to follow up af he shot. I have 175 acres to hunt on and another 300 surrounding me which I have permission to hunt. So my problem is not access .  My cameras show a few impressive bucks and a small number of does, all moving at night. My area is way over hunted and I believe the poaching around me is rampant by the local Amish. Nobody can tell me that at 630 am there are gun shots, then all day , and it got worse the week before gun season with snow on the ground . At times there were more shots than opening day of gun season.  With that being said , i have drawn up a plan to help improve next years hunt.  More food plots , TSI,  more comfortable stands etc.  If you increase your seat time,  you increase your odds. Don't fall into the trap do do illegal things , just to get that meat into the freezer, your better than all the slobs out there. Set your sights on next year and change up your hunting times,etc. Hopefully next year is better, its you against the deer, this year the deer won.

I had a few days where I didn't see a deer but had a great time. And when I say "days", I'm talking in the stand before light and staying till sundown. Time well spent away from the noise and daily stress. And not seeing deer just makes me try and figure out the area I'm hunting that much more. Back to the scouting board.

Well said