I was invited to go on a spring bear hunt in Maine..

Deerthug

Next June for 6 days but the wife thinks it's too dangerous. I told her how is this any different than deer hunting and of course she said bears climb trees deer dont! I said thats why you need to have a sidearm with you.

The hunt is with this outfitter. http://blackbearhunting.us/Spring.html. Its a Spring bear hunt over bait. They guarantee you a shot but not getting a bear.

Cost is $1995 includes lodging on a lake, maximum 6 hunters any one time, three meals daily. They arrange for all licenses and permits. You are brought to your tree and picked up each evening and brought back to the lodge. If you shoot a bear they help you track it, gut it and skin it. They also butcher it for you.

Don't know much about this outfitter. Anyone deal with them? Good or bad experience?

http://blackbearhunting.us/Spring.html

That should fix your link...

Never dealt with that outfitter, nor have I done a bear hunt. But I did go to Libby Camps a few years for deer.  They're not cheap but super nice place and people. And the food - ho man... talk about good.

Anyhow, up there they bear hunt over bait of usually sweets or used cooking oil, etc. so the shots are going to be pretty close range.   We were bsing with the guides about bear and they said their preference was a 12 gauge slug right into the shoulder. Their point was that the last thing you really want to do in thick areas (which it is) is to be tracking a wounded blackie.  They said you may have to supply a finishing shot but without a shoulder, it's going down.

Not trying to start any p'ing contests here, just passing on what they said as something to think about.

Edited by SteveC

I would definetely go... I believe that there is legislation that may be passed at the end of 2014 that makes it illegal to hunt bear over bait or with hounds. The outfitter that I dealt with this past summer said that last time this issue came up back in 2004 it only failed by a few votes. So enjoy now and good luck!

Shot a bear a few years ago up in Ohio,Ny.  Roughly 50 yards with a 12 gauge found the sabot in the heart.  Was on the ground walking in.  It turned and ran down the trail we were coming in on.  Got about 25 yards before it seen me and veered off.  It wanted nothing to do with us but after feeling its claws with its 200lb weight, It would be a bad day if it did.  If you have the money and time 2G's isn't bad, there delicious!

I didn't know they had a spring season either.I went last year had a great time and will be going back this year.There is legislation in November that's pushing for the end of hunting over bait,I didn't hear it included dogs though.Bear hunting is a awesome experience,of you have the money deffinatly go.have your friends been to this outfitter before?If not I would ask for references from people that killed bear and people that didn't.2k is a lot of money whether its a good deal or not so do your homework

If family supports you, time away from work is manageable and finances available - DO IT!

Years ago I worked with guys that took the annual "road trip" to Ontario, Canada to bow hunt spring bears. Got invited, but never went. 30 years later, wished I'd gone! Live your life with no regrets! (Disclainer; Within reason.) My philosophy is, when I'm at the Pearly Gates and St. Peter is reviewing my life, what's he going to say? You're boring! You had a pretty good life! Was that the best you could do? You blew your chance!

So last night my wife went out Xmas shopping. She comes home and I say "So what did you get me?" She says "What do you want?" And of course I say: "A guided spring Maine bear hunt!" LOL!!

$2k per person or for all six?

$2000 per hunter plus license fees of $350

Shot a bear a few years ago up in Ohio,Ny.  Roughly 50 yards with a 12 gauge found the sabot in the heart.  Was on the ground walking in.  It turned and ran down the trail we were coming in on.  Got about 25 yards before it seen me and veered off.  It wanted nothing to do with us but after feeling its claws with its 200lb weight, It would be a bad day if it did.  If you have the money and time 2G's isn't bad, there delicious!

I heard that anything other than the straps are too fatty or greasy. My friend who is planning this trip said that the first time he went and he saw this 400 lbs black bear and his knees started knocking together when it came close to his ladder stand. That is why you need a side arm.

If family supports you, time away from work is manageable and finances available - DO IT!

Years ago I worked with guys that took the annual "road trip" to Ontario, Canada to bow hunt spring bears. Got invited, but never went. 30 years later, wished I'd gone! Live your life with no regrets! (Disclainer; Within reason.) My philosophy is, when I'm at the Pearly Gates and St. Peter is reviewing my life, what's he going to say? You're boring! You had a pretty good life! Was that the best you could do? You blew your chance!

I want to be the one to whom St Peter says: "Dang you had a great life! Come on in ..."

Well, if first hand recommendations are being looked for, you'd be hard pressed to beat Libby Camps.  The last I knew I think Matt leases over 100K acres that they have sole access to.  Super people, food, accommodations and service.

I wouldn't count on using your smartphone though, the last I knew the only thing that worked at camp was their satellite phone.

http://www.libbycamps.com/

Edited by SteveC

Go for it! I had chances to go on elk hunts yrs. ago & didn't go , my screw up! Had young family, new house, good job but didn't go. Now retired , bad knees,& never got to elk hunt & half of my hunting buddies are dead, I say go for it & enjoy!

I hunted Maine a few years back one of the best hunts I did I got a nice Bear for my room 175 lbs I went with    Dennys River Guide Service Rates & Info   Bill put me on a grate spot   if you go to photos  bear I am three  down on the right my buddy Joe is top middle   good luck with your bear hunt 

Papabear

I heard that anything other than the straps are too fatty or greasy.

I've killed 3, and had bear that others have cooked....quite the contrary, it's very similar to venison, but a little chewier, you just have to trim off all the fat when you butcher it. 

The most dangerous part of bear hunting is falling out of your stand. I'm assuming you'll be hunting with a rifle or slug gun, you have quite an advantage over the bear if he decides to become aggressive, but pretty doubtful that will happen.

Just my $.02, but if you can swing the trip money-wise and it's a good chance you'll stay out of divorce court, I would go....life is too short. I'm good for at least 3 out-of-state hunting or fishing trips a year, and wouldn't trade the trophies and experiences for anything else in the world I can think of.

Again, JMO, but you can probably find a cheaper, quality baited-bear hunt if you shop around; lots of camps in Canada offer fishing in the morning, and hunting in the afternoon (most productive time). But if you have your heart set on this trip, I'd say go for it!  :good:

I have been for bear 5 times over the border in New Brunswick. It is a great time. If you are fudging money, you could go cheaper, bur what you are paying is in the ball park. (I pay 1600. for 5 days).

Black bear are super timid, and even though it is spookier than hell leaving your stand at night, it is virtually unheard of to be attacked while hunting. If you have a choice, go for a tent blind instead of a tree stand the first time. You have much more freedom of movement than in a tree, and the sit is much more comfortable. Get yourself a good bug suit head to toe. The bugs need to be experienced to believe them. I have used a Thermocell every year, and they work great. Just have the bug suit as back up.

I would go every year if I could. It is a reasonably priced hunt, the meat is fine...many bear hunters prefer it to venison. Just treat it like real meat- keep it clean, cool. We like to cook it like pot roast, and the texture, grain is very similar. Go and have a great time. Just remember to sight your gun in for closer ranges.