Would you buy one?

CuseHunter

you meeting where you can shoot it? bring a good flashlight and a piece of white paper or gun patch to get a geed look at the barrel inside. Check stock for cracks or signs of resizing. And outer barrel for rust pits... That will not hurt performance but none the less if it has a couple blemishes or dings in stock you may be able to get it for $250.

I got my Marlin 30-30 for $100 bucks from a friends dad years ago who had quit hunting.

Another good time to pick up a gun cheap is right after your buddy misses a nice deer with it!!

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 1

Check the bore, make sure it's clean and bright, check the wood for cracks  especially the stock (look close, hair line cracks will get bigger) make sure the safety works. Thats a few big ones I can think of off the top of my head.

shoulder  it ti see if ti is a comfortable fit. Handle it a bit to see if the action and all is also comfortable.  Ask to shoot it if possible.  Plus the more you look it over and check it. the more likely you might get a better price.

Check the bore...and the crown of the bore (muzzle end);   Work the action several times to see if it is tight and locks up well.  With the action closed, cock the hammer and see if there is any "sloppiness" to the trigger.  As others have already said....check for cracks in the stock/forend.  Such cracks are easily fixed, however, and should not be a deal breaker.  Last....check all screws to see if they are marred or stripped...such would indicate "tinkering" that could reduce the gun's value.

Hopefully, you will find nothing wrong with the 336 and will return home with a new treasure!

• 1 month later...

Examine the bore....with adequate light or a bore light. You do not want to see any pitting or corrosion in the barrel. Mechanical function ...all parts are functioning smoothly...if the gun was properly maintained and taken care of then it should be good to go

30-30 has probably killed more deer than any other round out there...so good luck

I ended up passing the deal, after looking around, $300 on a used marlin 336 wasn't anything to pounce on. I did end up getting a mint condition used model 70 in .300 win mag :$

Did you shoot that M70 yet ?

We rifle loonies are waiting for a report...

Unfortunately I haven't gotten a chance to shoot it. I've been super busy, as you can tell I haven't even posted like I used to. I'm taking 6 classes this semester and two are chemistry and microbiology courses and require a lot of my time.

I'll make sure I do let you know how it shoots when I do though. I think I'll go shoot next weekend or when I have spring break in mid march.