20 foot ladder stands.

First-light

I'm thinking about moving to 20 foot ladder stands for a couple of reasons. As we get older the hang-on stands are a pain to take up and down. I like leaving the ladder stands out all year, the hang-on I bring in. In my mind they are a bit safer going up and down the ladder. My question is to those who use them, which has the most room, base to stand on and a real good seat. My 15 foot stands are ok but I could never stay in them all day. That extra 5 feet especially for bow hunting is key.

What do you think?

Thanks,

FL

The extra 5 feet is nice and yes, the Big Game brand has some good options.

Has anyone ever heard of someone that makes an extension to the platform for a ladder stand? I subscribe to NY Outdoor News (bi-weekly newspaper type publication) and I remember seeing one advertised in there this past year, but I can't find it now.

It was a good idea; it folded down so it didn't get in the way when you climbed up, but then it folded out and locked into place once you got on the platform. I like ladder stands, but the platform is smaller than lock on's, so I thought this would be a good upgrade, but I put it off and now I can't find it.

If you're new to ladder stands, look at the specs (dimensions) for the stand you're thinking about. An advertised 20' stand might only have a platform height of 15-17'. The larger the platform area (LxW), the better! Another consideration I've run into, is the taller the stand, the longer the ladder sections become. Most have tubular ladder frames, 3/4 - 1" sqr. Can be sort of flimsy, especially uprighting. I have many different models/mfgers ladder stands & all the bench seat cushions are crap. I carry either an inflatable or thicker seat cushion to the stand. Supplied ratchet straps are also crappy, so do yourself a favor & invest in better/stronger straps! One of my better 18-20' stands was from Sportsmans Guide. S/H can be up to $50-75 on some models/sites. To each his own, but I've found little difference in the deer's reaction to a 13-14' stand over a 20' one. It's all about placement & backlighting or concealing your profile while in the stand. One final little quirk about ladder stands is setting them up on bare ground. I've used concrete blocks, flat rocks or sections of treated lumber to rest the base of ladder on. Prevents ladder from sinking into wet ground & possibly bowing/twisting the ladder section.

I have more than 40 ladder stands in action. The majority are the basic 15' stands from Dick's. These have worked out well, and I have shot quite a few deer from them.

Some people really dislike the smaller platforms on the basic stands. I don't find them an issue because the rails leading up to the seat actually act as a way to "lock" your legs in by pushing against them.

When moving to legit 19-20' platform height stands - you need to do some research. Be sure you are looking at platform height. Advertised height can go by platform, seat, or rail height...big difference.

Some of the new basic stands have gone to the slimmer designed rails. I don't care for using these along with an extension to use at 19-20'. Especially as gun and late season comes into play. Bigger boots can at times become a bit of a hassle to climb with. The regular width rails allow for plenty of room. They are fine early season and at 15'. The extra length, even with another stabilizer, allows some room for bowing, and that's where I find the combination of lack of room and some "wiggle" to be concerning.

I find costs of stands go up big time over the regular 15' level basics or the basic with rail/rests. Lots of time it's the engineering - going from square tubing to D or round or double rails. Cheapest way will likely be the basic or the basic with rail/rests along with an extension kit. Most of the ones with the rails/rests have platforms that go back to the tree...and those in my opinion, give you extra room when up higher.

To be honest, I'm not really sure why people use permanent position hang-ons. If they are staying in the same place...get a freaking ladder. The premonition that deer know them...lame. That's on the hunter, not the stand. I've got videos this year of me literally dancing in the stand with bucks bedded behind me, mature bucks within bow range, etc. Some people blame their inability to hang a stand and also their movement on equipment (sort of like a bow shot). Hang-ons have their place, and really, that for more short-term or mobile set-ups. Permanent positions (funnels, known bedding, etc. etc.)...ladder stands.

Buy a large pack of electrical tape. Wrap the inner-joining ends with one layer before inserting into the next rail. It will largely eliminate the sound. Tight fit, but it helps immensely. Also tape any clips tight (for the sections). This is more important on those taller stands with more flexing movement.

*Edit One other thing - DO NOT buy stands with seats made out of netting or other similar material if you can. Only buy stands with the metal seats. The netting ones are comfy no doubt, but at some point, the stand will outlast the seat, and a replacement will be tough to find.

Edited by phade
  • Like 2

My 15' ladder stand has served me well for the last 6 years,I bought one without a seat and use a swivel seat strapped to the tree trunk. I also made a hinged rail ( pipe ins.wrapped ) which I use as a shooting rail.It has 2 ea. 1"sq.tubing supports that go from the ladder to the tree trunk.All off the straps are replaced every year and I also have coated SS cable wrapped around it and locked.And camo burlap that gets replaced yearly.

It is in a open area where the base of two hills come down and meet.Never been picked out bu any deer coming and going from the hills which are higher the the stand.An extra 5' is not going to do me any good.

• Like 1

My buddy's make their own ladder stand out of 1 5/8" schedule 40 top rail that you would use for a fence and they make the plat forms as big as they want to they weigh a few hundred pounds but are extremely comfortable and don't have to ever worry about some one stealing one

I use many of the basic 15-16 ft ladder stands ......I not only use the stabilizer but place a ratchet strap from the foot platform to the tree...Then along with the seat ratchet I chain and lock all stands...for a shooting rail I use small diameter grey PVC tubing...heavily tape small sections to the front of stand rails sticking up past curve in tubing...then make a cross bar with sides just the right height for me using 3 more pieces and elbows...I grease the ends of side tubes with Vaseline so they release easily and turn with out squeaking and don't smell......that way I can pull one side and just turn it out of the way when I bow hunt...swing it into place for gun season...

To be honest, I'm not really sure why people use permanent position hang-ons. If they are staying in the same place...get a freaking ladder. The premonition that deer know them...lame. That's on the hunter, not the stand. I've got videos this year of me literally dancing in the stand with bucks bedded behind me, mature bucks within bow range, etc. Some people blame their inability to hang a stand and also their movement on equipment (sort of like a bow shot). Hang-ons have their place, and really, that for more short-term or mobile set-ups. Permanent positions (funnels, known bedding, etc. etc.)...ladder stands.

I can give you a reason on that one, well a couple actually. We do hang ons for 90% of our sets. We do it for a few reasons, first, we like to set our stands in "clumps" of trees, and if possible, the stand to sit within the clump. It gives you far more cover than sitting out on a telephone pole. More forgiving for movement, etc. Second, we hang quite a few double sets. The 2 man ladders are tougher to get into tight spots.

We are starting to think about getting some nice, lightweight hang on and sticks setups for mobile use though.

I also like my 16ft wooden ladder stand I made...Mr B and I made me 3 20 ft ladders this past fall.......They are big and heavy and I am considering making one of them into a ladder stand instead of a ladder replacement...I couldn't move them to replace old ladders but with knee fixed and snow on the ground I can drag them out...I use a pulley system and some times a com-along to put them in place......

(sp)

Edited by growalot

All good info folks thank a bunch. Yea Phade I have been hanging a stand in the same tree year after year, make no sense. I have plenty of the 15 foot models just want to get higher in some spots. 

We have all 20' stands.  You can make or buy ladder extentions for your 15'ers. If you don't buy them use 1/2" -  3/4" pipe or tubing (friend welds) to make the bottom section. All the joints are bolted all the way up the ladder & all have 3 supports from the ladder to the tree up to the platform. Also use ratchet straps where needed. Setting them up we use rope & pulley or set up the 15'er & just slide it up the tree until the extention fits under it.  All are as solid as a rock.

I can give you a reason on that one, well a couple actually. We do hang ons for 90% of our sets. We do it for a few reasons, first, we like to set our stands in "clumps" of trees, and if possible, the stand to sit within the clump. It gives you far more cover than sitting out on a telephone pole. More forgiving for movement, etc. Second, we hang quite a few double sets. The 2 man ladders are tougher to get into tight spots.

We are starting to think about getting some nice, lightweight hang on and sticks setups for mobile use though.

I don't buy into the cover issue with hang-ons or movement for that matter. I can see hang-ons for short term and mobility, and for certain trees where a hang-on can attach with angular adjustments. Half of our ladders are in clumps.

two man ladders suck for moving, yes.

I don't buy into the cover issue with hang-ons or movement for that matter. I can see hang-ons for short term and mobility, and for certain trees where a hang-on can attach with angular adjustments. Half of our ladders are in clumps.

two man ladders suck for moving, yes.

What cover issue or movement thing? If you have a clump of trees surrounding you, it blocks more of your movement than if your stand is hanging off of a single tree lol. Nothing to buy into there. We have some ladders in clump trees, we just prefer hang ons because they are more versitile. I dont have to worry if the area in front of the stand is clear for the ladder. Ill see if I cant get a few pics to show you what I mean.

I have the 20 foot ladder stands from Big Game. Its the one with the double railing on the ladder. I highly recommend them. Solid and comfortable. If you put them in the right tree you don't need to worry about the deer spotting you. I had a 6 point just about walk into the ladder on mine while I was in it this bow season.

I have had years ago, home made platforms, just high enough to get off of the ground when we would have heavy (4" or more) snow. no more then 10 feet above the ground, on well used trails. I would have deer stop 5' away from me looking around and never picked out by them ( wearing all bright orange ). So the only reason I can see for a 20' stand is to get more visibality.    

My need for 20 feet comes from the spot I hunt. I hunt the edge of a thick bedding area. From the stand the property is on an incline for about 40 yards. The 40 yards is hard woods. So if i don't get up high enough there are spots where you are eye level with the deer. Just makes sense to get a bit higher.

A deer's line of sight follows the terrain and as you mentioned an uphill incline can be a tricky stand placement issue. Converesly, the "higher is better" philosophy isn't w/o its' drawbacks. First, when the leaves are on, being higher puts you into the canopy and requires what a friend likes to refer to as "clear-cutting" to open up shot opportunities. Secondly, the higher you are, the smaller the kill-zone becomes. Arbitrairly, 20yds or less. You start looking at steeper angled shots possibly into the top of the shoulder. Oh yeah, .... on windy days, being higher gives you more of a "white knuckle" ride, if you're into that! LOL. As I said before, to each his/her own. The 15' stands have proven to be successful for me, but may not be ideal for your hunting location or style! So, stay low or get higher, just get out there and enjoy!

Just out of curiosity, what does a 20' ladder stand weigh? And, do those things really break down into a small enough package so that you can get them through heavy brush? When you take those things in to set up, that's pretty much all you can carry at one time right? I mean, can you take the stand, a back-pack and your bow all at the same time?