The New F-150; Tinfoil On Wheels?

landtracdeerhunter

The frame is still made out of steel. The cab, body, and cargo area will be made out of a high grade aluminum alloy in 2015.  The vehicle's weight will be 700 lbs lighter for better fuel economy, without hurting performance.  2.7 liter engine .  Ford as well as shareholders, hopes sales will "take off."  Ford officials couldn't be reached for comment, as they were on a soda break LOL.post-888-0-59582600-1389893718_thumb.jpg

Other manufactures have been using aluminum engine cradles for several years now. I just worry about durability and cracks developing in vibration and stress areas. Maybe they have ironed that out.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

The new Colorado/canyon will have a diesel in the second model year, so 2016. 2015 will see the new platform and truck with regular NA engines. I'm looking at this truck as a replacement if the reliability is there. I've not been a GM person though.

Ford actually states the weight savings means that it can tow that much more - so 500-700 lbs saved actually means that it can increase towing and payload capacity. So, reducing weight doesn't mean it can tow less. Ford is also going to be the first to go to the uniform system set by the gov't agencies to compare apples to apples between manufacturers. Dodge and GM have not done so yet. Although I'm not sold on the looks of the truck, Ford is pretty confident in their designs/ability, and I give them credit for that. Like anything else, this next generation ecoboost will be better than the last - first model runs almost always have quirks to iron out no matter the usability testing that is done.

No it won't and Cummins makes a great motor. Unfortunately, the rest of the truck won't be as sturdy.

The half ton engine is not a Cummins. Its a VM Motori engine, which is a company in the same group as Fiat and Alfa Romeo. Its a V6, 3.0 liter turbo. Its been around for a few years in Europe.

I own a 2010 Ram, theres nothing wrong with it. Id put it up against anything in its class in a heartbeat.

Is the new Ford gonna have a V6 or a V8 in it? Buying a truck with a V6 is kinda like buying a brand new bow that only shoots 280 IBO.

No, it's not like buying a new bow that shoots 280...

If a v6 that's boosted puts 320 to the wheels then it is the same as a v8 that puts 320 to the wheels - unless the curve is dramatically different. Power is power. Whether it comes from an NA engine or a boosted one...no difference.

Quickly looking at the wiki page on the 3.5, twin turbos. Small Garretts that spool fast, which makes sense for the truck's needs. Interesting on the direct injection that allows for regular grade gas, although I don't think I'd run less than premium to prevent detonation. Call me crazy but my interest in turbo engines won't let me run regular grade. I'd be interested to see how rich they run those set-up. I bet you could probably lean them out a bit without fear with premium.

I'm not up on the "eco" portion of the engine, but I imagine that the eco comes from the refinement of the turbo use when its at speed or slight increases in speed rather than gasing the pedal.