Where do we stand with crossbows

Tinlodge

My guess is nobody will even notice the addition of crossbowers during the archery season...Oh, maybe those that just can't get it out of their head, but I will always fail to see the impact of crossbows on anyone's personal bow hunting experience...

Are you serious? Nobody will notice? Ohio's xbow take is HALF OF ALL FREAKING DEER SHOT DURING THE BOW SEASON. I believe its actually more than half in the most recent seasons. PA's numbers are reaching the same proportion.

People will notice. Fact.

Are you serious? Nobody will notice? Ohio's xbow take is HALF OF ALL FREAKING DEER SHOT DURING THE BOW SEASON. I believe its actually more than half in the most recent seasons. PA's numbers are reaching the same proportion.

is it because more hunters put down their compound or recurve and picked up a crossbow, or because that many more people entered the sport? If 50% of NY archers drop their old bows and grab a crossbow it will have the same effect....which would just be a number on a sheet of paper and not more numbers actually hunting.

glad you know how to copy and paste your Google searches. happy to help you understand the the history of the crossbow. and thank you for correcting my brain fart on the release.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Since it's so easy to fact check anything you say these days, I'm glad to know you just talk out of your ass whenever you feel like it.   :)

And if you are equating using a vertical bow release to a crossbow that can be cocked hours before the shot, and has a scope and a trigger, you should share whatever you're smoking.

Are you guys going to re-run all these old worn-out arguments every time the word crossbow comes up? Everybody looks at the bowhunters and whines, "Can't we all just get along .....sniff .... sniff?"  How about the rest of you abiding by that same sentiment.

Thanks Doc, these crossbow threads do nothing but seperate us as a group and they have become worn out and replayed so many times that its got to the point of sillyness. Whats gonna happen will happen...

is it because more hunters put down their compound or recurve and picked up a crossbow, or because that many more people entered the sport? If 50% of NY archers drop their old bows and grab a crossbow it will have the same effect....which would just be a number on a sheet of paper and not more numbers actually hunting.

Re-read what I said...the fact is that notice will be taken. What context it is irrelevant at this point.

When 50% of the archery harvest is via xbow, it will be noticed.

• Like 1

I am totally guessing, but I bet 75% or more of bowhunters keep their bow. xbows aren't cheap and there is a stigma of using one (not that you may care, but some might). So it will be an addition of new hunters. Many say this is positive for the sport and I agree that it is, however I believe any new hunters to crossbow are already gun hunters. So how many NEW hunters do they bring? Or does it just add more hunters to the archery woods? And is this good or bad? we go round and round.

Shooting a nice buck with any weapon is an accomplishment. But when stacked side by side and forced to rank it goes like this

rife/xbow/compound/recurve

Again, numerous hunters could care less what other hunters think. But some do. And when faced with picking up a crossbow I think a fair number stick with their compound for this reason, the others for monetary reasons.

Myself, I am still undecided. There are however, numerous other things I'd put $1k down on first, including a rifle for my now rifle legal county.

I am totally guessing, but I bet 75% or more of bowhunters keep their bow. xbows aren't cheap and there is a stigma of using one (not that you may care, but some might). So it will be an addition of new hunters. Many say this is positive for the sport and I agree that it is, however I believe any new hunters to crossbow are already gun hunters. So how many NEW hunters do they bring? Or does it just add more hunters to the archery woods? And is this good or bad? we go round and round.

Shooting a nice buck with any weapon is an accomplishment. But when stacked side by side and forced to rank it goes like this

Again, numerous hunters could care less what other hunters think. But some do. And when faced with picking up a crossbow I think a fair number stick with their compound for this reason, the others for monetary reasons.

Myself, I am still undecided. There are however, numerous other things I'd put $1k down on first, including a rifle for my now rifle legal county.

I wish I could source back the info for Ohio I had a while back, but the jist of my research showed it was a 50/50 crowd - half of the new xbow crowd were archers that opted to go xbow and half were new entrants.

You left out shotgun. More importantly you left out method of hunting. To me a kill on the ground without blind is a great accomplishment than a kill from a tree. Recurve on the ground #1, after that it's debatable. IMO, an xbow spot n stalk kill is more impressive than a compound tree kill over a food plot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Shooting a nice buck with any weapon is an accomplishment. But when stacked side by side and forced to rank it goes like this rife/xbow/compound/recurve You left out shotgun. More importantly you left out method of hunting. To me a kill on the ground without blind is a great accomplishment than a kill from a tree. Recurve on the ground #1, after that it's debatable. IMO, an xbow spot n stalk kill is more impressive than a compound tree kill over a food plot. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good grief. Why don't we just all break out the loin cloths at this point and drive animals over a cliff?

I am up for a Hunting NY member drive over at Letchworth.

Look, if we are going to break out the loin cloths there may be some protests based on visual pollution. Also, the season is going to have to occur at a much warmer part of the year. Also, if done at Letchworth, somebody other than myself is going to have to go down in there to retrieve the deer.

• Like 3

and won't have any impact on your days huntin

I was talking about personal bowhunting experience... most people will have no idea if there is a crossbow hunter anywhere near them... it shouldn't and won't have any impact on your day of bowhunting... the fact that a lot of hunters in Ohio and PA are taking deer with crossbow has no bearing on what crossbow hunting will be in NY... the best you can figure from that info is that crossbow hunting is very popular in OH and PA and those guys are pretty successful... maybe that's what makes it popular.

• Like 1

I wish I could source back the info for Ohio I had a while back, but the jist of my research showed it was a 50/50 crowd - half of the new xbow crowd were archers that opted to go xbow and half were new entrants.
Sounds fair, but how many were brand new to hunting and how many were already gun hunters?
Shooting a nice buck with any weapon is an accomplishment. But when stacked side by side and forced to rank it goes like thisrife/xbow/compound/recurveYou left out shotgun. More importantly you left out method of hunting. To me a kill on the ground without blind is a great accomplishment than a kill from a tree. Recurve on the ground #1, after that it's debatable. IMO, an xbow spot n stalk kill is more impressive than a compound tree kill over a food plot.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I actually figured you'd bring that up and I agree with you, but I wanted to avoid the 4 paragraph post and keep the discussion to weapon type as it wouldn't derail the thread as much as "ranking kills". I figured I'd also leave type of firearm out as there's pistols and muzzleloaders too. I was trying to make a basic point.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Edited by Belo

This is what kills me the most about these insane arguments against crossbows, is that they are already being used by a lot of hunters across the state and have been for several years. Members of my club use them and my neighboring clubs use them. They have not changed our bowhunting experience in any way except to allow the hunter's I do know use them to continue to participate in a sport that they love. Most of these are older hunters who find using Crossbows much more comfortable than a Compound bow. These are the same Hunter's that were Bow hunting long before most of the anti- crossbow crowd were twinkles in their parents eyes. If you check in on any bow shop in the Southern Tier they will tell you that they are selling a lot of Crossbows. Whether or not using Crossbows becomes law, they will continue to be used and by more and more hunters. The anti group needs to get over it.

People are naturally resistant to change. The same thing occurred when the DEC wanted to allow Sunday hunting, people came up with a million bs reasons why it would ruin everything. Then it came and nothing changed. Same thing with the recent passing of the youth season. Paranoia is a strong emotion...

• Like 1

This is what kills me the most about these insane arguments against crossbows, is that they are already being used by a lot of hunters across the state and have been for several years. Members of my club use them and my neighboring clubs use them. They have not changed our bowhunting experience in any way except to allow the hunter's I do know use them to continue to participate in a sport that they love. Most of these are older hunters who find using Crossbows much more comfortable than a Compound bow. These are the same Hunter's that were Bow hunting long before most of the anti- crossbow crowd were twinkles in their parents eyes. If you check in on any bow shop in the Southern Tier they will tell you that they are selling a lot of Crossbows. Whether or not using Crossbows becomes law, they will continue to be used and by more and more hunters. The anti group needs to get over it.

you're saying you know a lot of hunter's in New York who use them? last I checked you had to pretty much be a blowing through a tube and confined to a wheelchair in order to get a permit...........