What kind of tree is this? What fruit is it dropping. Deer are killing it.

martinhunter12

I came across an area killed with deer sign and especially under this tree which still had fruit in it. I don't believe it is an apple tree (if it is I sure will look dumb lol). Anyways the fruit is about 3/4 inch in diameter. And an almost tomato like color. I am not to educated on identifying trees. I know this won't be hard for many of you to identify, thanks.

Do you know what color the fruit is normally?

I have seen wild crabapples in both bright red color and also yellow. Also, there is something we call thornapples that have little apples on them. Unlike the trees pictured here, the thorn apples have huge nasty thorns that can do some significant damage to people  ... lol. But, I'm sure everybody has seen those ugly critters and remember them well after coming in contact with them.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a persimmon tree not an apple, crab apple or hawthorn as others guessed. This is native to new York and delicious. Deer obviously love it and will travel long distances to eat it. Fruits hang on into the winter providing a critical food source in lean times. Fruits can also ferment on the tree making for interesting wildlife watching.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

This is a persimmon tree not an apple, crab apple or hawthorn as others guessed. This is native to new York and delicious. Deer obviously love it and will travel long distances to eat it. Fruits hang on into the winter providing a critical food source in lean times. Fruits can also ferment on the tree making for interesting wildlife watching. Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

that's what I thought it was, persimmons are like crack for deer. 

I would have said Crab apple. But I'll buy  persimmon . Don't know if I have ever seen them or realized I was looking at them. What color is the persimmon fruit when ripe?

they go from orange to a burnt orange color as they ripen. it looks like a persimmon to me, but there are a few things that make me wonder.

Persimmons are usually long gone by  mid fall and i am used to seeing larger seeds

Edited by Hardcore

Well, I thought I was done with this thread, believing that the majority opinion was that your pictures were those of a persimmon tree. That was the case until I ran into a tree yesterday that was exactly the same as the one you have in your pictures. Check these pictures out:

post-11-0-04521000-1395218248_thumb.jpg

post-11-0-89571000-1395218264_thumb.jpg

post-11-0-45195500-1395218286_thumb.jpg

post-11-0-45311500-1395218306_thumb.jpg

So, I got back to the house all excited that I had found a rare persimmon tree, and got on the net. Well actually I found that these are not persimmons at all. Not even close. The fruit is not close in size, shape, or stem configuration. In fact persimmons don't have a stem at all but rather a collar of leaf shaped features that attach directly to the tree. Check out the following picture:

post-11-0-17654100-1395218342.jpg

There all kinds of varieties of persimmons, but  wild or domestic, they all have those same features.

I also checked to see if these were left-over apples on a thornapple tree, but there were no thorns, and the bark, tree shape and size were not that of a thornapple.

So after looking at a whole bunch of wild crabapple trees (there are over 700 varieties), I decided that it is indeed a wild crabapple. This year there has been a crazy phenomenon that I have never seen before, where some of the regular apple trees held onto the apples and refused to drop. They then froze on these trees, and even now are still hanging frozen and rotten on the trees. Apparently the same thing happened on some of these wild crabapple trees. Do not pay a lot of attention to the color, I looked at some domestic apples that are still hanging frozen on the trees and they are the same color, so apparently freezing and rotting cause them to take on that orange color.

Anyway I thought it was strange that we just had a thread about these things, and I go out and run smack dab into the very same thing......lol.

• Like 1

Well, I thought I was done with this thread, believing that the majority opinion was that your pictures were those of a persimmon tree. That was the case until I ran into a tree yesterday that was exactly the same as the one you have in your pictures. Check these pictures out:

attachicon.gifcrabap01.JPG

attachicon.gifcrabap02.JPG

attachicon.gifcrabap03.JPG

attachicon.gifcrabap04.JPG

So, I got back to the house all excited that I had found a rare persimmon tree, and got on the net. Well actually I found that these are not persimmons at all. Not even close. The fruit is not close in size, shape, or stem configuration. In fact persimmons don't have a stem at all but rather a collar of leaf shaped features that attach directly to the tree. Check out the following picture:

attachicon.gifNikitas-Gift-Persimmon-Tree-1.jpg

There all kinds of varieties of persimmons, but wild or domestic, they all have those same features.

I also checked to see if these were left-over apples on a thornapple tree, but there were no thorns, and the bark, tree shape and size were not that of a thornapple.

So after looking at a whole bunch of wild crabapple trees (there are over 700 varieties), I decided that it is indeed a wild crabapple. This year there has been a crazy phenomenon that I have never seen before, where some of the regular apple trees held onto the apples and refused to drop. They then froze on these trees, and even now are still hanging frozen and rotten on the trees. Apparently the same thing happened on some of these wild crabapple trees. Do not pay a lot of attention to the color, I looked at some domestic apples that are still hanging frozen on the trees and they are the same color, so apparently freezing and rotting cause them to take on that orange color.

Anyway I thought it was strange that we just had a thread about these things, and I go out and run smack dab into the very same thing......lol.

I'd wrap a hunk of flagging tape around that tree and come back late summer and see just exactly what the fruit looks like and take some snap shots of it for the rest of the class for future reference. Same with the OP, more pics are in order!! Edited by Lawdwaz