Immortal 8 pointer

robviscera

I recently had this 8 pointer standing broadside at about 30 yards in front of my stand. I took the shot and it was deflected by a branch and hit him in the neck. I had light pink blood on the arrow mixed with fat and meat. On the ground was a lot of blood but eventually the blood trail went to just drops every 25 to 30 yards and stopped. The next night he shows on the trail cam in the backyard. I circled where the arrow entered and exited. His head was to my right when he was standing in front of me. I used bloodhunter arrow with magnus stinger buzzcut with bleeders. I can't believe the arrow missed all vitals in the neck.698d74baa87e7a509235458a3d863229.jpgd9b8ef7324ba475d9d4c29b8e403000d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, robviscera said:

I recently had this 8 pointer standing broadside at about 30 yards in front of my stand. I took the shot and it was deflected by a branch and hit him in the neck. I had light pink blood on the arrow mixed with fat and meat. On the ground was a lot of blood but eventually the blood trail went to just drops every 25 to 30 yards and stopped. The next night he shows on the trail cam in the backyard. I circled where the arrow entered and exited. His head was to my right when he was standing in front of me. I used bloodhunter arrow with magnus stinger buzzcut with bleeders. I can't believe the arrow missed all vitals in the neck.698d74baa87e7a509235458a3d863229.jpgd9b8ef7324ba475d9d4c29b8e403000d.jpg

They are amazing sometimes for sure.  I have not bow hunted in almost 10 years, but the last deer that I killed with mine was struck in the neck.  That’s not where I aimed, but the 4-pointer must have caught a glimpse of my draw.

When I released the arrow, he reared down and back.  The arrow, with o-ring style mechanical broadhead, struck him on the center of the neck, just below his head.  

It looked rather comical when he ran off, with the arrow centered and sticking equally out of both sides,  I heard him crash in some thick stuff, and the thrashing went on for about 2 minutes.  

That’s part of the reason I no longer bow hunt.  I don’t like depending on dumb luck to kill a deer.  Too often, they are not in the same place, when the arrow arrives, as they were when it is was launched.  

My favorite thing about the crossbow, is that I am always shooting at relaxed deer, because they never catch a glimpse of my draw and go to “high alert”.  

Edited by wolc123

45 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

They are amazing sometimes for sure.  I have not bow hunted in almost 10 years, but the last deer that I killed with mine was struck in the neck.  That’s not where I aimed, but the 4-pointer must have caught a glimpse of my draw.

When I released the arrow, he reared down and back.  The arrow, with o-ring style mechanical broadhead, struck him on the center of the neck, just below his head.  

It looked rather comical when he ran off, with the arrow centered and sticking equally out of both sides,  I heard him crash in some thick stuff, and the thrashing went on for about 2 minutes.  

That’s part of the reason I no longer bow hunt.  I don’t like depending on dumb luck to kill a deer.  Too often, they are not in the same place, when the arrow arrives, as they were when it is was launched.  

My favorite thing about the crossbow, is that I am always shooting at relaxed deer, because they never catch a glimpse of my draw and go to “high alert”.  

You do you and hunt how ever you want I have no problem with that . But bow hunting is all about dumb luck, I really have to disagree on that .. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

You never have to release an arrow if it feels wrong.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, rob-c said:

You do you and hunt how ever you want I have no problem with that . But bow hunting is all about dumb luck, I really have to disagree on that .. 

You truly have to consider the source of the comment. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mowin said:

Don't need it at the moment.  It's 70° outside.

That’s what it is where I am at also.  The low is supposed to get down to 43 tonight, so it should be ok for hanging a deer overnight.  Not that I expect to see one.    

I don’t have a deer fridge available to me up here in the NZ, but there is a processor with a walk in cooler who is open on Sunday’s, 20 minutes away.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, robviscera said:

Mostly meat in there, all above the spinal column. You will get another shot.

12 hours ago, rob-c said:

You have to remember that this is coming from a guy that lets Jesus take the wheel when he shoots them up the Ass with a gun but does not have the skill set to kill a deer with an arrow. I guess Jesus does not like to direct his arrows like he does his bullets.                What a Joke!

Edited by Four Seasons
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Four Seasons said:

You have to remember that this is coming from a guy that lets Jesus take the wheel when he shoots them up the Ass with a gun but does not have the skill set to kill a deer with an arrow. I guess Jesus does not like to direct his arrows like he does his bullets.                What a Joke!

Thanks for the high hanging fast ball, right up the middle.

Not only do I lack the skill set to kill a deer with an arrow, I lack what is needed to draw my next breath.  

As you so aptly alluded to, Jesus Christ alone has the final say,  regarding the eternal destination of all living things.  

Hunting was a lot tougher for me before I realized that.  

There is a reason why God populated the earth with hooved animals that chew their cud.  Sadly for you,  it has nothing to do with what grows out of their head. 

9F679020-B817-4C30-8F25-041D29A52ABB.thumb.jpeg.836693f4d1c0e3f9f49333e18cf61a0a.jpeg

• Like 1

Good luck with getting that buck, he’s still around and looks “ ok .”

Speaking of luck , we make our own good ,bad or dumb . I’m mentoring my young neighbor who took up bow hunting ,well hunting as he never hunted anything prior . On the drives down and walks out ,we talk . The first day it was about distance, shot placement , the deers position ( front quartering would create bad luck….) shooting at relaxed deer and practicing through the season .

Pay attention to those and you’ll have “ good luck .” 

• Like 2