myths and facts...

G-Man

Seems the whole thread is dedicated to how hard they are... so I'm not sure "noone" is a fair statement.

Also, I'm glad you now labeled me as an anti :banghead:

Yes, you are anti-crossbow, are you not? I didnt say anti-hunter, but feel free to ASSume.

As far as them being hard, um, noone is saying they are difficult to shoot, but you still need the woodsmanship to get close to the deer, same as a vertical bow. Feel free to twist it how you choose though.

• Like 1

you have no scientific stats to support #7. Therefore it's not a fact, but an opinion.

And if you point me to the NYCC website's poll that's no different than pointing me to a fox news poll on who should be the next president.

But Eddie posts a list that he took from the NYB website and you "like" it, so thats ok. Gottcha.

• Like 1

Yes, you are anti-crossbow, are you not? I didnt say anti-hunter, but feel free to ASSume.

As far as them being hard, um, noone is saying they are difficult to shoot, but you still need the woodsmanship to get close to the deer, same as a vertical bow. Feel free to twist it how you choose though.

You just earned your 2000 "like" with this post!

CONGRATULATIONS,lol!

Can't wait for 2014 x-bow season, but I'm afraid all the crying from the stands of "real archery hunters" is gonna have an impact on deer movement.

• Like 1

But Eddie posts a list that he took from the NYB website and you "like" it, so thats ok. Gottcha.

I got the list from a post on NY DEER site that no longer has any activity . I have never been on a NYB website and I am not a member of their organization .

That rule was washed up with the inclusion of inline muzzleloaders to the primitive muzzleloader season years ago... and if we're honest, inclusion of the compound into archery season.

I think what happened in those two cases is not that the rule was trashed, but simply that the definitions of the weapons were expanded. For example even the inline muzzleloader is still a muzzleloader, and the compound bow is still a bow with the same disciplines and principles of operation. But you're right, they seem to be ignoring the rule of hierarchy as to when different classes of weapons should be used. That's a trend that I wouldn't be surprised to see taking over completely, eventually giving rise to the question of why bother with special seasons.

I think what happened in those two cases is not that the rule was trashed, but simply that the definitions of the weapons were expanded. For example even the inline muzzleloader is still a muzzleloader, and the compound bow is still a bow with the same disciplines and principles of operation. But you're right, they seem to be ignoring the rule of hierarchy as to when different classes of weapons should be used. That's a trend that I wouldn't be surprised to see taking over completely, eventually giving rise to the question of why bother with special seasons.

In a way, if you look at how society is becoming dumbed down it makes sense that more and more hunters will want an easier go of it when it comes to weapons... old school just is a bit more work and less desirable these days.. doesn't really bother me as long as I can still do it the old way and they don't try to take that away. Whatever gets hunters in the woods is okay by me. A decline in hunters is way more detrimental to hunting than an added modern weapon or two.

• Like 1

sits in trees, has some very good points concerning crossbow use.

I have been hunting with a crossbow for the past 15 years due to several shoulder operations.

Although I live here in New York I had to travel to Ohio to bow hunt with my crossbow.

Here are some of the things I have learned over the years.

Do NOT get your fingers in the area where the string travels along the slide !  ( It hurts big time!)

Practice practice practice

If you plan to hunt from a tree stand, practice from there, same thing if you are hunting from a ground blind.

Get yourself a good range finder and learn to use it.

Make sure you use the proper type of bolts as per man.. specs. 

Aluminum or Carbon.  flat knock  or  half moon

Depending on the maker they act differently.

There is a way to discharge into the ground, place a flat washer behind the target/field point when you screw it on

to the bolt.  Stops the bolt from going into the ground.

Don't think for a minute that because the string is locked in the full draw. and it feels like a gun, that you can shoot like it's a gun.   40 yards MAX ! !  

And unless you encounter a deer that is either  deaf or just "dumber then a box of rocks"

You will NOT get a second shot !  

Make sure the first shot is going to seal the deal.

I can say that I am glad to be able to use my crossbow here at home.

Edited by shu9265
  • Like 1

Its originally from NYB's site

http://www.newyorkbowhunters.com/xbow.html

Wasnt a slam on you in any way Eddie, just showing belos hypocritical tendencies on this issue

yes because a list of facts and a survey posted on lobby groups website for its members to take are one in the same... you're such a joke.

Edited by Belo

yes because a list of facts and a survey posted on lobby groups website for its members to take are one in the same... you're such a joke.

Its actually not much of a list of facts, its incredibly incomplete and biased, which makes it more opinion than anything. Oh, and its posted on a lobbyist group's website, but somehow the NYB thing is better? Gottcha.

Nice way to complete your lack of a real rebuttal with a personal shot. Typical....

Well for me anyway the whining and crying part is now over, now its time to start talking crossbow hunting techniques, the heck with Myths and Facts, we have a lot of hunters who will enter the deer woods for the very first time this season with a weapon they have never used before and if they can avoid half the mistakes I made when starting out by listening and getting some pointers from experienced xbow hunters on this site that would be a really good thing in my opinion.

Hey Mods is it possible we make a whine and cry section for those that want to continue the arguments on why crossbows shouldn't be legal, you now a safe place where therapist's and suicide watch personnel are present etc.

40 yards MAX ! !

if that is the case with you, either you're shooting old tech or you haven't become proficient shooting off a good rest or sticks. 

today a capable crossbow in the hands of an equally capable shooter can reach out a lot further than 40 yards, and do so with accuracy and killing power to spare. 

if that is the case with you, either you're shooting old tech or you haven't become proficient shooting off a good rest or sticks. 

today a capable crossbow in the hands of an equally capable shooter can reach out a lot further than 40 yards, and do so with accuracy and killing power to spare. 

Not to dredge-up past topics about hunting myths, but isn't this sililiar to 70+yd shots with a compound? Or 300+yd shots with a modern in-line ML? Head or neck shots? Of course they're possible, but Could I, Would I, Should I do this in a real hunting scenario? From a more personal perspective, depends on whether you have the apple on your head or aiming the Xbow. Maybe it simply boils down to the respect a hunter has for the game they're pursuing and their definition of an ethical shot. Lot of mis-leading or overly exaggerated sales hype around about the capabilities of Xbows, unfortunately mostly from mfgers.

• Like 2

Well for me anyway the whining and crying part is now over, now its time to start talking crossbow hunting techniques, the heck with Myths and Facts, we have a lot of hunters who will enter the deer woods for the very first time this season with a weapon they have never used before and if they can avoid half the mistakes I made when starting out by listening and getting some pointers from experienced xbow hunters on this site that would be a really good thing in my opinion.

Hey Mods is it possible we make a whine and cry section for those that want to continue the arguments on why crossbows shouldn't be legal, you now a safe place where therapist's and suicide watch personnel are present etc.

Excluding youth; do you really think there will be hunters entering the woods for the very first time?

Even after a couple years, we'll never really know what crowd Xbow's drew due to them being assoc with ML licenses. Pure speculation, but probably many youths for the 1st time with any archery (??) tackle, former bowhunters who had to give it up for physical reasons or busy lives, baby boomers with failing eyesight &/or muscle tone in a last ditch effort to continue hunting AND the cross-over strictly gun hunters wanting more of the rut. Biggest "tell" will be craigslist in 2-3 years, when there are an unbelieveable number of LN Xbows for sale. My crystal ball has been wrong before. LOL

If any of you who are truly interested in trying crossbow hunting want to talk to some great folk and avoid all the anti stuff that will no doubt be going on here for a while and just want answers and facts try the Excalibur forum. A lot of very knowledgable fellas over there.

I hope they allow Horton shooters,lol

Seriously SITS... I can appreciate what you and a few others have been trying to do here, but it's getting a little old listening to the anti-x nonsense, highjacking of posts, and "look at me" personalities in this section of the forum anymore. It's an already done deal... it's probably best to find a new site for pertinent information on the topic for me so thanks for the site tip there.

I'll be a first timer this year myself. I've found a few x-bow sites to follow along with this summer to get better acquainted with the fundamentals of "x-bowing 101", and some of the advanced aspects of gear prep, performance, and maintenance as well. Being a gun and bowhunter already, I'm pretty sure the rest is all up to me!

It's a different hunt that I'm looking forward to this season, so hopefully I can gather enough valuable basics this off season to not make any rookie mistakes when it really matters. Thanks for the tips you've passed along here so far.... I take them all into consideration being a newb to this new style of hunt!

• Like 1