Crossbows in NY!!!

TheFieldArcher

I love when guys use the phrase "internet tough guy" then invite you to come kick their ass for real... tells you everything you need to know about the guy. Some of those guys might want to be careful what they wish for... just sayin'.

You may want to stay out of the internet tough guy talk. You may be able to meet him sooner than you think. I believe there is a banquet coming up in August.  Maybe a few beers can be passed around after the party? 

• Like 1

Why don't the moderators just nuke this thread(and a couple others lately). Other forums I belong too would never allow this. It just brings it down. Nothing productive is coming out of it. Same people arguing over and over. The guys that have the disagreements should either meet in person so there aren't any "internet tough guys" or just pm until they are blue in the face. Arguing on this forum, or any other, is just a complete waste of time. Get out there and scout or shoot or something. Who really cares what some stranger on the other end thinks anyway?

• Like 1

You may want to stay out of the internet tough guy talk. You may be able to meet him sooner than you think. I believe there is a banquet coming up in August.  Maybe a few beers can be passed around after the party? 

lmao... yup I'll be there

I'm really starting to think there a reading comprehension problem on this forum.

Its kinda funny all you guys insulting me on here but you've yet to say anything about the facts I've posted, except the few guys with reading comprehension problems that didn't understand the article.

now how many times have you gone to the reading comprehension well?

and how many times has it been that you have whined about other guys insulting you when it is you and no one else that has called other members moron and idiot?

you think you are smart but you are very short sighted in the conclusions you draw from the license sale numbers of a few states.

what you think you know:

1) crossbows have not increased license sales in those states.

2) crossbows have not recruited hunters in those states.

what you don't know:

1) how many other variables contribute to overall license sales.

2) how many new and existing older hunters got in the game as a result of the crossbow.

3) how much license sales would have decreased had crossbows not been introduced.

you see hunter numbers and license sales have been on a nation wide decline for some time and without the recruitment of youth, women, and keeping older hunters hunting, this trend will not only continue but the rate will also increase.

the decline in the next generation is the biggest concern and while older hunters leave us for good, there is no stability in the replenishment  of our sport.

the conclusions that you have come to have no facts what so ever backing them up as you are discounting countless variables that contribute to license sales. 

yet you continue to think you have proven something on this forum while calling others idiots and morons.

you might want to really stop and think about that for a minute and then also take some time to consider how many members reading this thread agree with either your behavior or your baseless conclusions.

one thing you are right about though, is that have proven something here, and beyond the shadow of a doubt; but not the thing you intended.

Edited by skyhunter
  • Like 1

I don't own one or never hunted with one, but being diagnosed with a torn rotator cuff last month, if I don't use one in NJ/NY this fall I don't hunt :-(

I don't blame you but. I have had torn rotator cuff for the last two year and have not been able to bow hunt after 42 years of bow hunting. That said I still won't buy a x-bow to hunt with to me it's not bow hunting but to each there own.

I don't blame you but. I have had torn rotator cuff for the last two year and have not been able to bow hunt after 42 years of bow hunting. That said I still won't buy a x-bow to hunt with to me it's not bow hunting but to each there own.

no, its not bowhunting, but it is hunting, and if it will get me in the woods during my favorite time of the year I will use one. I would rather be in a tree stand than sitting on the couch being stubborn to prove a point. But thats me. To each there own.

• Like 1

Does everyone have a reading comprehension problem? I'd say it slow so you could understand but this is the internet.....so read slowly. My original point was that allowing Crossbows will not recruit NEW hunters to deer hunting and the license sales numbers in Michigan and PA support that. Just because Michigan sold 450K Crossbow licenses doesn't mean anything. The total hunting license sales were still down. That means most of the X bow hunters were already buying a license anyhow. It didn't bring in any noticeable difference in NEW hunters. This is, was and always will be my point here. I don't know why everyone wants to argue the facts with me and twist everything I say all around.....but I guess that's what you guys do around here when someone proves you wrong! Now , continue to bash me....I find it amusing

Think retention, not just recruitment... It is not hard to believe that legalizing a new weapon does not recruit brand new hunters into the sport. However, crossbow proponents will argue retention - that it allows older hunters to remain active longer.  How they get their deer out of the woods is a good question though...

look outside the box, crossbows will add people to the hunting side... PERIOD!

not sure why we needed another thread, but please explain this statement further. How many non-hunters (who already gun hunt and do not bow hunt already) do you know who are now going to start slaying whitetails?

You are wrong... I did not say they are against elderly/disabled, I am saying that they are the only ones that they feel should be hunting with them.

you're incorrect. elderly, disabled and regular and late season are all fine. We just feel they don't belong during archery. I would discourage youth as well. Why give them an xbow and take it away when they're no longer youth. Start them out right.

And I said the majority on this site you moron. Which is you and your buddies, which are a majority because everyone else left! They're all sick of your crap!

In my career I've mentored quite a few interns and direct reports and I see that  you're passionate and raw, so take this advice or not, but I feel inclined to give it.

You will find you're taken more seriously if you can go 1 post without insulting someone. I can't even read your posts because you sound like a high school girl. Anyone who needs to resort to name calling to support their side has already lost. I'm not saying Wolly is any better, but this is directed at you. Keep an open mind, be humble, use facts and experiences to support your side. Attacking someone personally does nothing to prove your point.

• Like 3

I honestly believe that crossbow to compound ratio in hunters hands in 15 years or so will be what the current compound to recurve ratio is.

Kids will have an easier time getting into xbow hunting, less treestand accidents, shorter learning curve, etc.

Just like anything else, technology is improving and people want the next best coolest thing. Look at phones, tvs, and soon to be crossbows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting to see the 'next new fad' argument used. This does not bode well for retention or future numbers. I teach Higher Ed and I see how detrimental the gadgets and fads are in terms of a near total inability to focus and stick with the job in hand. If Hunting is to rely on new fangled gadgets to survive, we can kiss it goodbye in terms of retention. The interest will simply not last.

Putting hope on the tool vs love of the 'sport' ( I do not consider hunting a sport personally), is a cart before the horse scenario. A genuine interest in hunting needs to go a lot deeper than the shiny toys we have at our disposal.

That is not the way of the world right now. There is a love affair that almost approaches a religious level when it comes to technology. A gadget or gizmo is only good until the next one comes out. Hunting is merely a question of what implement can produce the best results, in the shortest time, with the least amount of effort. A modern hunting style that was created for the sake of challenge is now looked down on as a waste of good deer harvest opportunities that is too limited by the very tool that the season was created for. You may not like it, but it is a mentality that you have to accept and live with, and is not going to go away. You would probably be shocked to look into the future and see where all this will eventually lead us.

not sure why we needed another thread, but please explain this statement further. How many non-hunters (who already gun hunt and do not bow hunt already) do you know who are now going to start slaying whitetails?

I posted 3 videos of hunters taking their "firsts". The young lady I did take earlier with the vertical bow and she shot awesome on paper... but after unloading her quiver on deer out of a blind, I had her practice with the x-bow and she was successful as seen in the video with her first shot out of the x-bow. My point with her and I see it at the hunter ed classes etc... dads (the young lady was not my daughter, friend of my buddy) are taking their young daughters and sons out with the crossbow first! Lets face it, it is an awesome option, nice fall weather with a youngster with minimum poundage that they struggle to get back or hand them a cocked crossbow with over 100 LBS of KE? I see it a lot in NJ and I think it is awesome, the young lady I took was frustrated with the vertical and the x-bow put her on top of the world! Saying she is hooked is an understatement and she is still looking to work hard on her vertical... so really, I think it can be a stepping stone for beginners, like I said in the beginning of this thread, same thing with my son, he is an experienced deerslayer now, the x-bow built confidence/experience and he is now looking to take his bow hunting to the next level with the vertical this coming season.

you're incorrect. elderly, disabled and regular and late season are all fine. We just feel they don't belong during archery. I would discourage youth as well. Why give them an xbow and take it away when they're no longer youth. Start them out right.

Edited by TheFieldArcher
  • Like 1

I honestly believe that crossbow to compound ratio in hunters hands in 15 years or so will be what the current compound to recurve ratio is. Kids will have an easier time getting into xbow hunting, less treestand accidents, shorter learning curve, etc. Just like anything else, technology is improving and people want the next best coolest thing. Look at phones, tvs, and soon to be crossbows Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But the crossbow is not new technology... it is older than old technology.

• Like 1

I posted 3 videos of hunters taking their "firsts". The young lady I did take earlier with the vertical bow and she shot awesome on paper... but after unloading her quiver on deer out of a blind, I had her practice with the x-bow and she was successful as seen in the video with her first shot out of the x-bow. My point with her and I see it at the hunter ed classes etc... dads (the young lady was not my daughter, friend of my buddy) are taking their young daughters and sons out with the crossbow first! Lets face it, it is an awesome option, nice fall weather with a youngster with minimum poundage that they struggle to get back or hand them a cocked crossbow with over 100 LBS of KE? I see it a lot in NJ and I think it is awesome, the young lady I took was frustrated with the vertical and the x-bow put her on top of the world! Saying she is hooked is an understatement and she is still looking to work hard on her vertical... so really, I think it can be a stepping stone for beginners, like I said in the beginning of this thread, same thing with my son, he is an experienced deerslayer now, the x-bow built confidence/experience and he is now looking to take his bow hunting to the next level with the vertical this coming season.

There really is no end to the accommodations that we can propose is there? If these are the kinds of problems you are trying to eliminate, just do away with all special seasons and hand them a gun..... end of problem!

But the crossbow is not new technology... it is older than old technology.

But in NY it is considered "new". Many people in NY will own an xbow and nothing else archery-wise, so when they teach their kids and friends how to hunt, it will be with an xbow. When I have kids someday, I will teach them to use an xbow and a gun.

Maybe I'm wrong, only time will tell. But I honestly believe compounds will become rare in NY in years to come, just like recurves are now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

I guess you're not seeing my question. As papist mentioned, I'm not sure making things so simple and easy is the best thing for our country. I'm 30 and I sound like a geezer when I say this, but my son is 2 years old and I worry about the country and culture we've created for him.

Archery license sales have been growing for years. I see a good handful of youth on this site alone. Joe is a great example of a gun hunter who took interest in archery and was made offers by many here to give him help and equipment to make him successful.So some must be getting into archery, and I doubt it's a bunch of 50 year old guys picking up a bow for the first time.

I support youth and hunting just as much as the next guy. I come from a long line of hunters. Can't wait till my kid is old enough to hunt, but I do not agree that hunting should be made "easy". That's the fun of hunting. The challenge. It should be hard. Life is hard. Not everyone gets a trophy, but those that work hard do. Why don't we just legalize baiting and feeders next?

Edited by Belo

I am going off the beaten path here -------

Making things easier for newbies is not a good thing in my opinion . People don't learn to accept failure . It's part of the "dumbing down of America" !

Examples :

1) T-Ball --- Scores aren't kept . Kids run the bases . There are no losers . Everyone is a winner so little Billy Bob doesn't cry when he strikes out .

2) Daddy takes little Billy Bob gun hunting during the Youth Hunt . The kid hunts with a gun while others are using bows . Because it's warmer weather than during gun season  he doesn't suffer the cold and is made to think that's what hunting is about . Plus he isn't in the way when Daddy deer hunts

3) Tests are too hard so they are simplified so more students get passing grades . Stupid kids don't know they are failures until they enter the Real World ..

4) Schools do away with Honor Roll Lists so little Johnny isn't embarrassed because his name isn't on the list .

Making things easier doesn't prepare people for failure and that's probably why so many turn to drugs ! I doubt that some youngster that starts out hunting with a crossbow is going to switch to a Compound later on .

• Like 1

I am going off the beaten path here -------

Making things easier for newbies is not a good thing in my opinion . People don't learn to accept failure . It's part of the "dumbing down of America" !

Examples :

1) T-Ball --- Scores aren't kept . Kids run the bases . There are no losers . Everyone is a winner so little Billy Bob doesn't cry when he strikes out .

2) Daddy takes little Billy Bob gun hunting during the Youth Hunt . The kid hunts with a gun while others are using bows . Because it's warmer weather than during gun season  he doesn't suffer the cold and is made to think that's what hunting is about . Plus he isn't in the way when Daddy deer hunts

3) Tests are too hard so they are simplified so more students get passing grades . Stupid kids don't know they are failures until they enter the Real World ..

4) Schools do away with Honor Roll Lists so little Johnny isn't embarrassed because his name isn't on the list .

Making things easier doesn't prepare people for failure and that's probably why so many turn to drugs ! I doubt that some youngster that starts out hunting with a crossbow is going to switch to a Compound later on .

I'd rather see a youngster hunt with a crossbow than not get into hunting at all.......

• Like 1

I'd rather see a youngster hunt with a crossbow than not get into hunting at all.......

agree. And I think we've talked this topic before, but how serious or how inclined are you to keep hunting if the only weapon you will use is a crossbow? Heck i think most of us started with guns and moved to archery because we just love hunting.