Strutting bird: do you pull him out to shoot?

turkeyfeathers

I personally give him a verbal "putt" so he sticks his head up to eliminate crunchies in the breasts. TV shows always show them whacking them in full strut. Am I missing something ? Everyone have some great dentist friends? I try and hit him with the bottom of the pattern . 2 pellets in the breast meat in last many of birds. Just curious to what you guys do.

I always try to pull the gobbler out of strut so I do not put shot in the breast. That is not always possible. Most of my shots at 30 yards or less so it does not matter much if he is in strut or not. I  killed a gobbler at 10 yards several years ago.

post-65-0-94838200-1398127355_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dr. Honk

I personally give him a verbal "putt" so he sticks his head up to eliminate crunchies in the breasts. TV shows always show them whacking them in full strut. Am I missing something ? Everyone have some great dentist friends? I try and hit him with the bottom of the pattern . 2 pellets in the breast meat in last many of birds. Just curious to what you guys do.

Not all shows. Drury Longbeard Madness contractors will get them into more of a alert mode before they take the shot.

I do agree on other posters, as it depends on the situation, the bird, and the time in the season.

• Like 1

Haven't found a good way to cook tender shotgun pellets yet, until then I'm gonna wait for a good shot before pulling the trigger. Last year I got lucky though. I was in some hardwoods and waited for him to walk on the other side of a tree that was about 20yds in front of me. As soon as he poked his head on the other side I blasted him and the tree blocked some of the pattern. Only found 2 pellets in one of the breasts and 0 in the other. It was kind of like shooting at a turkey target, all I saw was head!

• Like 2

I've never really thought to pull them out of strut before now.

For the most part.., the first clean shot I get has been working well for me so far, so I don't think it's time for me to start complicating things.

I've shot them both ways and still get pellets in my breasts.

Edited by wooly

Like whistling at a walking buck to get him to stop for a bow shot, trying to get a gobbler out of strut is usually the last thing on my mind! 

When I get the perfect shot, I take it. B)

I could GAF if he is standing on his head.......................... :biggrin:

• Like 3

Like whistling at a walking buck to get him to stop for a bow shot, trying to get a gobbler out of strut is usually the last thing on my mind!

When I get the perfect shot, I take it. B)

I could GAF if he is standing on his head.......................... :biggrin:

X a billion.