which broadhead

fisher2

so im shooting a 70# new breed nemesis at 27.5" with ics bowhunters cut to 28" and i was wondering which would be the best mechanical for me to shoot? i just switched from trad and know nothing about mechanicals, also, can i shoot mechanicals into my rhinehart target without them breaking?

Many differing opinions on this, but these are my experiences. I am shooting a 380grain arrow roughly 300fps... I switched to mechanicals a few years ago and shot grim reapers both the 1 3/8" and 2". Tough and reliable head but penetration suffered due to them being not sharp enough. Tried the 2.3" rage extremes c.o.c. last year and watched all 3 deer die within sight. Complete pass through on 2 and the third 1 stopped just short of poking out the other side after blasting through the 1st shoulder blade... Definitely going to try them again this year. 1 of the heads I 're -sharpened,1 I replaced blades, and 1 was junk( hit a stone in the dirt after going through deer.

Lots of opinions, gonna have to field test some for yourself.

That said I go Rage 2 blade... I switched to them last season and harvested 5 deer with my bow.

Here is a review I did on the ENTRY wounds of the first four I harvested last season:

http://huntingny.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19672-Rage-2-Blade-Entry-Wounds/page__view__findpost__p__254182

I would not recommend for turkeys unless you are taking neck shots...though I did harvest a Tom with them this spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Meat Manager

I shot 3 deer last year with the same Rage 2 blade broadhead. Had to replace blades after the 2nd one. Have killed 7 deer total with the Rage 2 blades and love them. I tried Swhacker 2 years ago and they were pretty good too. Just didn't care for the rubberband that held the blades closed. Whatever mechanical you decide to go with, don't shoot it into your target. The Rages come with a practice point to shoot. Just wouldn't recommend shooting into a bag target with it.

If you have the knowledge and resources to get fixed blades shooting well then go with them otherwise go with a modest cutting diameter mechanical. You don't need diameter over 2" and your penetration will suffer. I've he great luck with Rage heads so far for several years now. I haven't lost a deer. Every time ones shot though I check it clean it and sharpen or replace anything as needed. Same as you would any other head. Mechanicals are inherently more accurate but with less penetration. With your setup you shouldn't need to worry about penetration though unless you hit square into the shoulder.

I like muzzy originals myself. 35$ for. 6 then again I won't shoot deer past 40 yards and I can hit an orange at 40 with my muzzys. Any sharp one will get the job done on your setup.

Edited by Hock3y24
  • Like 1

to many good BH's out there to single one out.

But shooting BH's into a deer target is not a good way to go, the target will not last. I have a pile of sand that I use to shoot into to test Bh flight, and accuracy.

Every couple of years I pick up one of those cheap Styrofoam targets at Walmarts and shoot it up until it won't stop the arrows anymore. I just do that for a week or two to test broadhead flight, so there's not a ton of arrows going into them. I generally get about 2 or 3 years out of a target. The only problem is that open-cell Styrofoam can get pretty messy.

The other targets including my 3-D deer target only sees field tip for use. There is no way that I'm going to shoot up one of those expensive 3-D deer targets with broadheads .... lol.

Go with the Rage 2 blade. I use the chisel tip and have watched the thing tear through shoulder blades and ribs no problem. Not that you want to hit them in the shoulder! LOL. And they bleed a ton. Leaves an entry hole around 5 inches wide. My buddy uses shwackers. Hammered a doe in boiler house but we spent an hour tracking tiny drops of blood 60 yards. (it was dark out). The thing with the shwacker is it doesn't open up until the cutting blades are inside the deer. Meaning you have to pass through to get that full 2 inch cut.

• Like 2