Gander Mountain

Went into their Tonawanda store last week to see what changes had been done. The one thing that impressed me the most , as a sportman was the firearms section. Firearms nearly across the entire back wall. Shelves of ammo to accompany their stock. The archery section was still the "same old Gander Mountain."  It may of even shrunk some. One would think this store should of improved tremendously ,since the opening of Cabelas in only a few months away. Maybe stock will increase as the season nears.

• Like 1

I was in the Gander Mountain in Middletown last month. I could not find a person on the sales floor to help me with clothing and the dressing rooms were locked with no body around to open for me. I went to the sales person in the front of the store and still no help. That was the last time I will ever step foot in one of their stores. The shelves were only half full and it looked like a ghost town with hardly anyone shopping.

I guess they heard Cabelas is coming to Woodbury to kick their butt.

• Like 1

The only ammo I can't find at the Syracuse/Cicero store is .22. They pretty much always have everything else. 9mm. 40, 45, 380, 38, 44mag., 357 mag. 308., 223, 30-06, 30-30, 270, etc..etc… No problem……. 22???? forget it. the same A-hole hoarders clean them out every week.

I was in the Gander Mountain in Middletown last month. I could not find a person on the sales floor to help me with clothing and the dressing rooms were locked with no body around to open for me. I went to the sales person in the front of the store and still no help. That was the last time I will ever step foot in one of their stores. The shelves were only half full and it looked like a ghost town with hardly anyone shopping.

That store will take a beating once Cabelas opens.  They are going to have to step up their game.  I went there a few times, its not a bad store.

• Like 1

"Shelves of ammo to accompany their stock."

Sorry not buying that. The Syracuse store fails at this task, they can't be that different.

Maybe because they don't have a 209,000 sq. ft Cabelas opening a few miles up the expressway., LOL.  I would think the Auburn Bass Pro should keep them scrambling.

Cabelas may kick their butts, but it's still a long way from opening(spring 2016).  I think the reason Gander looks like a ghost town is that hunting and fishing isn't exactly setting the world on fire in the south east corner of NYS.  Yeah, there are still hunters and fisherman out there, but nowhere near as many as there used to be.

Edited by steve863

Cabelas may kick their butts, but it's still a long way from opening(spring 2016).  I think the reason Gander looks like a ghost town is that hunting and fishing isn't exactly setting the world on fire in the south east corner of NYS.  Yeah, there are still hunters and fisherman out there, but nowhere near as many as there used to be.

Interestingly enough, I just finished reading a newspaper article that claims that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service reported a 3% increase from 2006 to 2011, in some form of wildlife recreation according to the last 5-year survey. So according to them, wildlife recreation is making a significant comeback. Not really on-topic, but interesting in terms of outdoor store expectations.

Perhaps there is something about that corner of NYS that is making them lag the trend.

Thinking the next and last time I will go to the one in Tonawanda is their going out of business sale in mid August.

I have never been in a store with more things that you cannot figure out the price of. Ugh. It was a great store the first year....been downhill since and the staff I dealt with must pinch hit with the Tops next store because they didn't know a thing...

• Like 1

It sounds like all the Gander Mountain stores may be screwed up. I finally stopped going to the Henrietta store because the shelves were empty of anything that I went up there to get. And it's not a short trip either. Now I drive even a bit farther in the opposite direction and go to the Auburn Bass Pro Shop. I may not always like the price I have to pay, but they are stocked significantly better than Gander Mountain, and I usually find the products that I need.

Thinking the next and last time I will go to the one in Tonawanda is their going out of business sale in mid August.

I have never been in a store with more things that you cannot figure out the price of. Ugh. It was a great store the first year....been downhill since and the staff I dealt with must pinch hit with the Tops next store because they didn't know a thing...

I agree, it sure not what it was when it first opened. But then again, what store is?

Have you gone in that store after the remodeling? We didn't need any help on the floor, but the people in the firearms section were very helpful and friendly.  Yes it was the Tonawanda store, LOL.

The misses came in and got me headed toward the entrance. She know when you get my son and I together in a outdoor store, it will be hours before the light of day will be seen again. We are going to camp out the night before in the parking lot when Cabelas opens.  May just have to camp out the next night also, LOL.

Maybe our governor will be there, seeing that he's falling all over this area before election, not to forget my SAFE. act sign.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Went into their Tonawanda store last week to see what changes had been done. The one thing that impressed me the most , as a sportman was the firearms section. Firearms nearly across the entire back wall. Shelves of ammo to accompany their stock. The archery section was still the "same old Gander Mountain."  It may of even shrunk some. One would think this store should of improved tremendously ,since the opening of Cabelas in only a few months away. Maybe stock will increase as the season nears.

The problem I see with their gun selection is that it is way too long.  You typically have one guy back there and sometimes two.  They encourage you to take a number.  The distance from my eyes to the long guns is too far to read a tag or even figure out WTF the gun is your looking at.  Most of the guns are just crap.....It is a VERY poorly put together section IMO.  The handguns are NOT properly tagged.  They put some goofy internal lingo on the tags.  Most of the damned guns are black and they ALL look the same to me. :O

I can't stand the place and the employees have an attitude problem.  Darn near every one is a pork chop...........

The check out section is not well laid out either, I'd like to know WTF they were thinking about when the drew that up.

The one area I'm impressed with is the bathrooms.  They did a very nice job on that with the addition of the Toto toilets. :good:

The problem I see with their gun selection is that it is way too long.  You typically have one guy back there and sometimes two.  They encourage you to take a number.  The distance from my eyes to the long guns is too far to read a tag or even figure out WTF the gun is your looking at.  Most of the guns are just crap.....It is a VERY poorly put together section IMO.  The handguns are NOT properly tagged.  They put some goofy internal lingo on the tags.  Most of the damned guns are black and they ALL look the same to me. :O

I can't stand the place and the employees have an attitude problem.  Darn near every one is a pork chop...........

The check out section is not well laid out either, I'd like to know WTF they were thinking about when the drew that up.

The one area I'm impressed with is the bathrooms.  They did a very nice job on that with the addition of the Toto toilets. :good:

Other then that, how do you like it?, LOL.

I went to the grand opening of Gander mtn in Binghamton just last month. They had over 100k of .22's in stock. It was unbelievable how many they had. The store was also loaded with ammo. I wonder how its doing now. Any updates would be good. I did get 500 rounds. I am good on .22. 

I just went to tonawanda Gander to pick up some climbing sticks , im not sure why i thought a hunting store would sell climbing sticks . The nice gentleman near the gun section sent me to where they sell the hiking sticks and then my next stop after that was dicks .

I just went to tonawanda Gander to pick up some climbing sticks , im not sure why i thought a hunting store would sell climbing sticks . The nice gentleman near the gun section sent me to where they sell the hiking sticks and then my next stop after that was dicks .

How did the gun section look to you?

What kind of stick selection did Dicks have?

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

It sounds like all the Gander Mountain stores may be screwed up. I finally stopped going to the Henrietta store because the shelves were empty of anything that I went up there to get. And it's not a short trip either. Now I drive even a bit farther in the opposite direction and go to the Auburn Bass Pro Shop. I may not always like the price I have to pay, but they are stocked significantly better than Gander Mountain, and I usually find the products that I need.

Bass is a really nice place.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

How did the gun section look to you?

What kind of stick selection did Dicks have?

They had a lot of guns, I'll give them credit for that . I went to dicks who also did not have climbing sticks on display, the guy working actually knew what I was talking about and brought 2 of them from the backroom.

Their in a good location, on the way to the river to appeal to the people fishing. That might be one of their stronger sales areas. Cabelas, not as much.