best sd card and batteries?

Red

A few weeks ago.I purchased my first trail camera and I'm gonna grass out next weekend to.hang out I was wondering which sd card is the vest to use? I was going to get a 16gb but not sure what brand. The trail camera takes double AA batteries which would you suggest that I use?

Unless you are going to do videos on the camera , you can get plenty of pics on a 4GB card . Buy a couple of 4 GB cards so you will have one to swap out . I can check the SanDisk card on my Cannon Camera but if I use Lexar SD cards , I have to use a Card Reader with the computer .

I use the cheaper Alcaline batteries for the camera . Saw an article in one of the Consumor Report magazines that showed where the higher priced big name batteries didn't last all that much longer . Most all Trail Cams will show the battery life left when you go to check them .

I've got about 20 different brand SD cards for all my cameras and trail cams, and never noticed any performance advantages of one over another in a trail cam application, so I usually just go with whatever one is empty that day.

SD cards are always on my Christmas list and everyone knows that I'll use them!

I started saving a lot of money in batteries by switching to Energizer re-chargeables(2300 mah), over alkalines and even lithiums.

Maybe those cost savings are passed on to my electric bill where they're less noticeable, I dunno... but spending $60 once for 16, in the past 2 years seems less painfull to me than $10 in alkalines every couple of weeks/months. They still hold a charge like the day I bought them, so no complaints there either.

I got super life out of a set of lithiums, but they eventually die and for the same cost as rechargeable that can be re-vived.

• Like 1

I started saving a lot of money in batteries by switching to Energizer re-chargeHow long does ables(2300 mah), over alkalines and even lithiums.

Maybe those cost savings are passed on to my electric bill where they're less noticeable, I dunno... but spending $60 once for 16, in the past 2 years seems less painfull to me than $10 in alkalines every couple of weeks/months. They still hold a charge like the day I bought them, so no complaints there either.

I got super life out of a set of lithiums, but they eventually die and for the same cost as rechargeable that can be re-vived.

How long do they hold a charge? Any different in the cold?

I haven't personally found any difference in the quality of SD cards. I tend to buy the cheap ones on ebay or amazon so that I don't have to worry about losing them. Haven't had a failure yet.

Batteries are a different story. Without a doubt the best I've found as far as cost per hour of use are the Radio Shack Enercell alkaline AA's. They run about $10  for a four-pack, but they are frequently on sale as a buy-one-get-one deal. Get the e-mail flyer and stock up.

These are tough batteries regardless of temperature. I run Bushnell Trophy cams, which tend to be easy on batteries anyways, but it's not unusual for me to get a full season out of the RS batteries. I generally pull the cams just before Christmas and set back out in early March. I have one set out now that's 4 months into it's second season and still going strong!

I have regular AA batteries ( brand name not store name ) since last November still working in 2 cams,2different makes,thousands of pictures out there 24/7.II have used the ones that you  re charge and they do not last forever.

You can find Duracell or Eveready on sale in the 8 and 10 packs threw out the year.

The cards buy what is on sale,change them often or you will go nuts looking at 300 to 800 pictures at one time.

I have pictures tat were taken in 0 and below temps. with the reg. AA batteries.

The re charaged ones did not work at thoes temps. Could be that they were over a year old.

Edited by lurking

How long do they hold a charge? Any different in the cold?

I'm not really sure how long duration wise. I swap them out with a freshly charged set at least once a week as long as I'm in the area.

I get paranoid when rechargeables only read 50% battery left on a full charge so I never let them dip below 20%. Usually get between 5000-7000 pics or 1500 vids depending on length settings.

They're not nearly as good as lithiums in the cold, but they're 100x's better than the alkalines.

• Like 1

Last night I put an sd card in and 8 alkaline batteries in my trail cam. It read 99%battery life 5 days then I put 8 lithium baterries in and it read 99%battery life 2 days I was wondering is that 2 days of battery life? If so.I sure hope the cam was wrong I guess I'll find out when I check it I'm a week or two

What cam did you get Red?

I'm sure you'll get months out of those lithiums. Just keep an eye on the battery levels when they start to drop.

When they start to fall to about 80% they will lose power fast. At least that's the way they worked in my Moultrie M-80.

• Like 1

I ended up getting the moultri 990I last t night.it's the first time I set it out I figure I'll check on it next week when I take three family out to the country then if everything is looking good I won't check.it again for 3_4 weeks I'm pretty pumped to.Finally have one set. Up in the woods now I can't wait to get some pics. Thanks for the tips. I think I'm gonna tell the wife to put reachable batteries and a charger on my xmas list

• Like 1