What's for dinner tonight?

philoshop

Anatomically yes tenderloin is in a ribeye, but I was refrencing the taste more than anything.  If I were to choose a beef cut it would be ribeye and venison it would be backstrap. 

No,
Tenderloin is no where near a ribeye I'm
Not trying to be mean but you obviously have no clue tenderloin are the inside loins underneath the stomach, back straps run along the spine and are made up of The ribeye and strip lion. The tenderloin and rib eye couldn't be further from
Each other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 2/4/2017 at 7:11 AM, wolc123 said:

..... Normally, we cook our roasts in the crock pot.  We put them in while still frozen in the morning, along with a few potatoes and onions, two cups of water, and a packet gravy mix and cook on low for 6-7 hours.   Rump roasts always turn out excellent when done that way.   Would that be a good way to do the neck roast or would you recommend some other technique? .....

not sure how quickly you can call it done in the crock pot, especially if frozen.  a neck is a neck, but that connective tissue needs time to break down. there has to be others on here. @moog5050? i've cooked it more like 8-10 hours and fridge thawed that way.  what we typically do is thaw it out in the fridge, season it, and then sear it in a pan with avacado oil on all sides.  we use that oil because it tolerates higher heat.  EVO or any other oil works too.  seared roast goes into the slow cooker on low for about 8 hours with no extra liquid, cooking down in its own juices with the rub.  after that toss it in the fridge over night and then you can pull it apart, discarding anything you don't like easily.  use it for anything then; soups, stew, tacos, heated with sauce, caseroles, sammich lol, etc.  we've even vaccum packed it in portions.  17 or so lb neck roast is a lot of food, even cooked down.  kind of hard to do wrong really.

34 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

not sure how quickly you can call it done in the crock pot, especially if frozen.  a neck is a neck, but that connective tissue needs time to break down. there has to be others on here. @moog5050? i've cooked it more like 8-10 hours and fridge thawed that way.  what we typically do is thaw it out in the fridge, season it, and then sear it in a pan with avacado oil on all sides.  we use that oil because it tolerates higher heat.  EVO or any other oil works too.  seared roast goes into the slow cooker on low for about 8 hours with no extra liquid, cooking down in its own juices with the rub.  after that toss it in the fridge over night and then you can pull it apart, discarding anything you don't like easily.  use it for anything then; soups, stew, tacos, heated with sauce, caseroles, sammich lol, etc.  we've even vaccum packed it in portions.  17 or so lb neck roast is a lot of food, even cooked down.  kind of hard to do wrong really.

Yep, I have done the neck in a crock pot after browning  it (coated with flower, slat and pepper)for at least 8 hours.  Beef broth, time, rosemary, garlic and onions with carrots added at the 5-6hr mark.  You will know when its ready as it begins to fall apart with just your fork.  I have also used it to make osso bucco on the stove top, but again, it requires long cooking time at low temps (again until falling apart).  I trim it good, but the silver skin between the muscles will dissolve and does not leave a gamey flavor at all.  My family all like it and most won't eat a grilled backstrap.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 6:48 PM, turkeyfeathers said:

Made some chorizo. Then Mexican pizza. A thwack of sour cream atop and away we go. 8342a918629b14f9a049ffd0efd6c7d6.jpg2455f9e7b494c3992519a14516b46f35.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TF,  Pizza looks awesome!!   Do you make your own crust?

11 minutes ago, t_barb said:

Thx..   Always looking for a good pizza dough recipe..   Haven't found one I totally like yet

Ill get the one we use from my MIL this weekend and share it with you. We make homemade pizza every Friday and she makes the crust from scratch, water, dry active yeast, flour, a little sugar, the whole nine yards. Again ill get you the particulars if you want to try and make it. 

Ill post it up Saturday on here for anyone who wants to try it. Recipe makes about 5 - 16" thin crust pizzas. Can ball up and freeze some if you don't want to make 5 pizzas but there is usually 10 of us every Friday night so not many leftovers.