2 dayys to squirrel who is ready

I am a dyed in the wool small game hunter so you are no oddball to me. I like action and being able to pull the trigger on some fine hunting firearms I have acquired over the years. Fairly liberal daily limits on Squirrels and much the same on other small game species for both rifles and shotguns makes for a lot of fun in my book.

Deer hunting while I like it is on the other hand somewhat anti climatic for me, 

Al

• Like 1

I love to hunt squirrels...

As aierdale said, it gives me an opportunity to do a considerable amount of shooting and I love eating the little rodents.

Early season my 1936 vintage 16 gauge M12 and my Belgian Browning A5 20 gauge get the most use.

After the leaves fall, I use my 1971 vintage Ruger 10/22 or a NEA .17 mach II single shot.

At heart, I am a wingshooter, but bird hunting opportunities are not real plentiful here in the southern tier anymore.

I like deer hunting, and I love the meat, but after about a week it begins to bore me..

I'd just as soon whack a couple of dolly deer for meat and then go small game hunting or fishing.

I love my deer hunting, but squirrels are great practice runs to prepare for deer season. The weapon changes and maybe the seriousness, but all the same gear is used for me anyway. So I get to do some dry runs to see if I need or don't need something. Squirrel season is also a great hunt for youths to give them action. Plus if they get a case of the wiggles, not so devastating when the squirrel holes up. Just wait 20 minutes, and they come back out. I have not been hunting squirrel in many years as we have had a bot fly problem in my area. I am sure it doesn't harm the meat, but I just cant bring myself to eat a squirrel that has bugs crawling under the skin. I wont kill something unless I will eat it.  Last season my daughter shot a few and they were clean, so today we sighted in the 22's. Both my girls are excited to go, and so am I.

Red squirrel season never closes. lol

Crow season will also open on 9/1. I'd probably go whack crows before I would squirrels (more challenging) and besides, squirrels keep the adrenaline flowing during deer season!

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I wonder if the squirrels will catch any sign of movement when I am up there flailing my arms in the air trying to keep the mosquitos away.....lol. It's going to be tough this year. I think early bow season for deer might have the same challenges.

• 4 weeks later...

As Predate said:  Crow season will also open on 9/1. I'd probably go whack crows before I would squirrels (more challenging) and besides, squirrels keep the adrenaline flowing during deer season!

Agree with the crow hunting. Already been out a few times. Rather Crow and Coyote hunt. Never was into Deer hunting. Go out and try. Just me though. 

Edited by martin

• 3 weeks later...

Someone needs to publish a book on small game recipes, if one doesn't already exist. 

Anyone figured out how to fatten up squirrel meat enough to make jerky? Not to start a whole food conversation, I'm just saying....I need to figure out how to get my family Back into caring about game meat which I believe is a gift.

You ought to see a thread going on over at NYtrappers forum. They all seem to really like beaver, muskrat, coon, etc. Now I'm a trapper, but that's grodie!

Yep no thanks I make bait outta them. Trapping is upon us....almost ready gonna be about a week late myself hopefully the extra prep pays off.....sorry if that was way off topic...
  • Like 1

Someone needs to publish a book on small game recipes, if one doesn't already exist. 

Anyone figured out how to fatten up squirrel meat enough to make jerky? Not to start a whole food conversation, I'm just saying....I need to figure out how to get my family Back into caring about game meat which I believe is a gift.

I haven't seen any cook books dedicated purely to small game but most cook books do divide themselves into separate chapters which includes small game.

These are two that I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Dressing-Cooking-Wild-Game-Waterfowl/dp/086573108X

http://www.amazon.com/Sporting-Chefs-Favorite-Wild-Recipes/dp/1886571503/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1413264984&sr=1-3