Why no rifles in some shotgun only areas

Borngeechee

I can understand this before dedicated slug guns but now it makes no sense to me. These new slug guns have rifled barrels (technically it's a rifle by definition, not a shotgun), are very accurate and can stretch out to 200+ yards while flinging a 50+ caliber projectile at 1800fps. These areas might as well allow "rifles" too. Do you see the allowance of "rifles" in the future?

Edited by Borngeechee

I can understand this before dedicated slug guns but now it makes no sense to me. These new slug guns have rifled barrels (technically it's a rifle by definition, not a shotgun), are very accurate and can stretch out to 200+ yards while flinging a 50+ caliber projectile at 1800fps. These areas might as well allow "rifles" too. Do you see the allowance of "rifles" in the future?

A lot of center fires can totally dwarf those numbers.

A lot of center fires can totally dwarf those numbers.

Very true but some also fall under it. A 44 mag carbine isn't allowed in shotgun areas and is considered a rifle yet it's shooting a smaller projectile and roughly the same velocity. I think within the same 100 yards, a 20 gauge sabot slug is more damaging.

well due to idiots, its a slow education process to allow rifles for hunting because they are so deadly at long ranges and people will be shot don't you know.... so its been a mulit year expansion after initially allowing them in the state...patience is a virtue.

There have been a whole rash of counties recently that have gone from shotgun only to allowing rifles. Time will tell if that was a smart decision in all of those counties. I believe that there is no clear-cut answer as to whether it is an improvement in safety or just the opposite. My opinion now is that the long term safety record will answer that question. Ontario County had rifles used for the first time last year. I bought a great deer rifle and immediately christened it with two deer. I love it. No shoulder-mangling 12 gauge to fight with every year.

This year another couple of counties got added. I think when it all gets settled out, almost all of the counties will eventually allow rifles unless safety records start slipping. I'm not sure how you go about getting the ball rolling. In our case, it was a few individual town supervisors (one in particular) that took up the challenge of talking the rest of the board of county supervisors in proposing a resolution. Maybe the first thing is to find a receptive town supervisor that has some clout with the county board.

• Like 1

It some areas it could be done by making a list of what rifle rounds are legal and not legalizing high powered rounds.

Say .357 Mag, .44 Mag, 454 Casull, etc.  The list could be made up by figuring anything similar to the velocity of a shotgun slug or muzzle loader should be legal.

If anything, it might sell a few more rifles in NY state.  But maybe NY doesn't want that.

• Like 2

It some areas it could be done by making a list of what rifle rounds are legal and not legalizing high powered rounds.

Say .357 Mag, .44 Mag, 454 Casull, etc.  The list could be made up by figuring anything similar to the velocity of a shotgun slug or muzzle loader should be legal.

If anything, it might sell a few more rifles in NY state.  But maybe NY doesn't want that.

It is a law without reason to some extent. You can go in a shotgun only are ad use a 300 Win Mag in a 15" barreled Encore to deer hunt or could take it out other than deer season and shoot woodchucks all day.

Very true but some also fall under it. A 44 mag carbine isn't allowed in shotgun areas and is considered a rifle yet it's shooting a smaller projectile and roughly the same velocity. I think within the same 100 yards, a 20 gauge sabot slug is more damaging.

I think the politicians felt it was easier to cast a wider net then having to be detailed and specific.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think people shouldn't forget that shotgun only counties in NYS go back decades. Same in other states, some that are completely shotgun only. These laws were implemented long before the words "gun control" were household words. It's not today's politicians who implemented them. It's only in recent years that anyone even considered looking into them and possibly changing them, so go figure?

I think people shouldn't forget that shotgun only counties in NYS go back decades. Same in other states, some that are completely shotgun only. These laws were implemented long before the words "gun control" were household words. It's not today's politicians who implemented them. It's only in recent years that anyone even considered looking into them and possibly changing them, so go figure?

And we all know how quick they are at understanding firearms and changing outdated laws.

I totally agree. I guess that they don't want to take the time to make rules that are caliber specific when it comes to rifles. Some modern sabots even equal or out preform a 30-30 out to 200 yards.

• Like 1

I wonder how much influence local politicians have over this issue.

I believe that it is local politicians who are the vehicle for getting these laws changed. At least that was the case in our county. The effort was begun by a Town Supervisor and then moved into the Ontario Board of Supervisors who drafted a resolution to start the path through the state legislature. So it would appear that local politicians have a large influence over such matters. The Board of Supervisors of a county also can have a great deal to do with killing off such changes.

"The Board of Supervisors of a county also can have a great deal to do with killing off such changes."

That's what I was thinking.  Maybe some of these areas won't look into changing because local politicians don't want it changed.

Yup, I'm sure that is a possibility. Also, all you need is for some anti to start a campaign against any attempts to implement rifles, and they can influence Town Supervisors. So anyone looking to get a supervisor to champion a rifle bill had better be sure to have all the local rod and gun clubs and as many hunters as possible across the county on board for counter arguments to offset any mouthy antis.

Those Americans are a dream to carry in the woods compaired to those clunky 12 guages

Ha-ha, and you can target shoot for hours before season with it and still have a shoulder left. With my old 12 ga. deerslayer, I was always hoping and praying that my 3 to 5 practice shots every year showed good groups so I didn't have to do any sight changes. Damn, I remember some years when something must have moved the scope. It wasn't long before I started getting into a flinch situation wit the pounding, and had to go through way too many shots with that shoulder mangler. Now practice is fun.