hunting public land in the Adirondacks worth it? Opinions Please?

TChunter

Well I used to go up to Moose River Plains . It was fun to hunt a " big woods", camp out, rome around all day. So that was worth it !  killing deer ? not so much .

So if the joy of being there and the chance however slight of a big buck are enough then go for it.

Frankley it seems to me all the deer are in town,Old Forge is loaded with them. My kids and I feed them out of our hands there. Hold out an apple and they run over like a dog to a T-bone..........

Yes & No..  The deer density is very low, so you will need to put some time in. In 2004ish, we hunted Moose River Plains for a week, nothing. Cut one track across a road. Ran into an old timer on a woods trail 2nd to last day, said there USED to be tons of deer in the 50's, pre-beech tree blight which knocked/s out most mast producing trees.. It kills the tree above ground only, and the root systems send up new trunks.. BUT they already diseased because of the common root system and die off in 5-8 years, years ahead of nut production.. His party of 5 saw nothing all week.. I'd reccomend hunt areas that have other multiple food sources, swampy areas, wild cherries/oaks/ ect..  Now the good news.. You have the chance of taking a buck that has never seen a person before. The antlers usually will be larger, as well as most bodies because the deer can get some years on them. I took a nice 8pt in 2003 from state land south of Corey, off Ampersand Road.. No monster, but a true adks trophy in my book.  I plan on going back up there again, was a nice area.. Campsites & a horse trail that lead into the parcel so you could make good time..Some even loaded game haulers with their camp gear & took the horse trail in to set up camp..

Check out these guys, the Salerno Brothers.. The NY version of the Benoits.. These are all adk deer..

This is there 2009 album..http://www.salernobrothers.com/2009.shtml

it depends on where you travel from. For me, it is a 45 minute drive, so I travel it alot.  Lots of  great territory and the sereniy is awesome.  Bit you will not drive up park and see a lot for a long time.  IMHO very much worth it every mile you drive and walk.

If you want to see a lot of deer, then no.  If you want to see some nice deer and some beautiful country, then yes. 

What I like is I can walk all day every day for a week and never see a person who's not with my group, and never see a road or a building.  Kinda ruins ST hunting for me though because I just get started walking and run into civilization.

I went twice, 2000 & 2003. There was an nice guy in the Tupper Lake area that ran horseback trips into a camp he had with 2 wall tents, about 12 miles in. The first time I saw plenty of deer, all does except for one set of horns I never got a shot at. The guide passed on a buck thinking one of us may get a chance at him but that didn't happen. In 2003 we had light snow every night and every morning there were plenty of deer tracks to cut, I followed then for miles. Also we had a bear that kept coming within 500 yds of camp. Both times were memorable hunts even though we brought home no meat. BTW, there plenty of grouse around also.

We'd do it again in a minute but the man running the operation passed away a few years back.

Its absolutely worth it.. but its not anything like hunting anywhere else... if you want the big bucks it involves a lot of work and you better be in pretty good shape... If you're going to try and set up a tree stand and wait around for deer.. you'd better bring a good book, because you might be there a while... but YES absolutely worth it if you're up to the task

I think hunting the Adirondacks is one of the great things that I have missed in my life. I have spent a lot of time up there during the summer months hiking, camping and fishing and I have heard a lot of you describe that kind of hunt and I'm sure it would have been something that I would have really enjoyed (with or without a kill). I think in order to do it right, it is a bit beyond my physical abilities now, but I certainly do appreciate the appeal of that kind of hunt, and I really love the descriptions of those who have done it.

So when someone asks if Adirondack deer hunts are worth it, I don't doubt for a minute that the answer has to be yes. To me it sounds like a quality hunt.

Doc thats were I hunt all the time. If you are willing to put a lot of time in and walk alot it can be rewarding. I like taking off for the day and not seeing another hunter. I usually average seeing a couple of deer a weekend. It may be a tail or a doe. If I see a deer I feel like I ve accomplished my mission. If I see a buck it is a real treat. If you do my advice is get a good GPS. Priceless

On another note I met the Sallarno brothers. Talked with them a couple years ago. Seem like good guys. They hunt the high peaks around Keene Valley

Thanks Guys.  My group and I were die hard Maine Hunters.  We're hoping that ADK hunting will allow most of us to see a deer and hopefully take one. 

Most of my guys don't have the funds to get a guide and camp with him.  So, we will be ranting a place and than driving to public land to give it a go.  If anyone has a better place for public land (other than ADK) in New York, I'd love to hear it.

We plan on scouting a handful of times this spring, summer, and fall to set up camera's and find a home to rent. 

Better to hunt when snow is on and rut is on. Alot of guys get sick of hunting to early and quit. Took our group over 5 years to learn the area that we hunt and sort of figure out what the deer are going to do. So don't get disgusted to fast. Been hunting the same area for 20 years and still get taught a lesson from the deer most of the time. ;)

• Like 1

TC I've hunted the paper mill country of Maine and the Adirondacks is similar in its vastness , yet the woods are much more mature than Maine. Both have great bucks. If you are looking for the big boys.. you need to hunt the more remote areas. Which means a lot of walking (usually uphill in all directions..lol). But there is nothing like the thrill of tracking down a nice buck in the ADKs.. very rewarding. And yes it helps if there is snow on when looking for the big bucks.

Another piece of advice, with your game camera theory is that during the rut the bucks travel a great distance to find does. Alot further than in the south because their is not as many does in an area.So just because you don't see big bucks early doesn't mean they won't move in or out.

A few years ago we hunted the same drive all year kept seeing the same few does. Last weekend of the season we killed three bucks off the drive. One was a 140 class buck. Must of been a hot doe in the area.

I can tell you from experiance.  As I grew up hunting from our camp right in the middle of the aderoundacks.  Just like most have said.  No if you think your are going to see alot of deer.  Yes if you don't mind putting years into killing a real nice buck.  Ratio is alot closer than most area.  The old timers at camp would tell us, If you see 2 does and a bigger deer behind, don't even look for horns.  However you might spend an entire season and not seethe 3 deer.  My cousin was up last week end on the new snow and never cut a track on the 3 mile road into camp.  But it is hunting. Not sitting on a field. and watching deer.

• 7 years later...

My thoughts...

·        I once read if you want to hunt deer, you go to the Northern Zone, if you want to shoot deer hunt the Southern Zone.

·        You can find some beautiful and solitary places.

·        A compass, map and GPS are mandatory since you can easily wander off the path to hunt other locations or track game.

·        You have permission to hunt on 2.6 million acres.

·        Know your limitations physically and mentally.

·        Know how to pack and carry out the deer or bear you harvest.

Edited by Wilderness
  • Like 1

I went  hunting there for the first time last weekend and  yes it was  worth it , I plan on going back first chance I get .

Hopefully after some snow .

But if your  only objective is to see  alot of deer in a short amount of time .

It's not the place for you  probably. 

It's a place for guys  that like to see alot of country  .  

If your not into that sort of thing may not be your thing .

Like others have said much easier to spot deer near the towns then the woods up there .

And bring a good GPS and compass make sure your vehicle is working good to because cell service is not  guaranteed up there even on major roads .

Edited by Storm914

5 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

I went  hunting there for the first time last weekend and  yes it was  worth it , I plan on going back first chance I get .

Hopefully after some snow .

Glad you liked your trip and want to go back...it is indeed beautiful country. Hope you have snow shoes  or skis and a good four wheel drive because they usually get their snow in feet not inches. 

• Like 1