Homemade Tick Repellent

I know the Gordon's brand is used straight on farm animals and is safe and I know some people use it diluted on dogs. I use permethrin cattle tags on my dog's collars instead of and like a flea collar for quite a few years now, any flea and tick problems vanished.

Al

People also ask
Can you use Gordon's Permethrin 10 on dogs?
Benefits: Effective insect control on animals - Permethrin 10% can be used on dairy and beef cattle, sheep, goats, swine and poultry. Plus, it is labeled for effective control of insects on horses and dogs.

Can you spray Permethrin 10 on dogs?
Martins Permethrin 10% may be used to treat dogs over 12 weeks of age for fleas, ticks, mange, and lice (do NOT apply permethrin products on cats). Per the product label, you should mix 8 oz. in 12. 5 gallons of water, which would break down to 0.
  • Like 1

Been doing this for a long time.

I use a small pump up sprayer and after letting the clothes sit for an hour, I put the work clothes in the dryer on low heat to fully dry.

I let my hunting clothes dry in the sun, as not to contaminate them with whatever scents that might be lurking in the dryer.

You would think that the smell would scare animals off, but I've had no issues, even with approaching coyote.

I think it's a good cover scent.

SJC

Edited by Shoots100
  • Like 2

I know a couple of guys that make big batches up in a 5 gallon bucket, they dip their boots, socks and pants up to the knees in the permethrin solution, wring out the excess back into the bucket and hang everything on a line to dry. They will use a spray bottle for above the knees on their pants especially around the waist and will also spray their shirts hats and coats while on the line and let them air dry.

Al

• Like 2

Its great advice on the savings buying the 10 percent and mix your own . I have done it for a few years. I actually make mine just a bit stronger at .6 -.7 percent than the .5 percent pre-mixed Sawyers. I just use the old Sawyers spray bottles to apply it . I wear mostly coveralls for hunting. I give the outside a complete heavy dose at the beginning of the season , and a light spray after 2 washes even though they claim its good for 6 washes . I spray inside up to the knees, inside the sleeves from both ends , and the inside both the back and chest area.  You really do not need to dip your base layers in it. I do spray the inside of my boots also . I talked to Sawyers a few years ago to ask them how long the shelf life was for Permethrin. They said 5 years .

They also gave me a recommendation on how to wash and dry the treated outfits . Turn them inside out. Especially if you are putting them in the dryer . They claimed that tumbling them in the dryer will wear down the layer of Permethrin when the outfit rubs on the hot drum. Makes sense so I do it. They also said that once a tick makes contact with the Permethrin for 15 seconds, it can no longer bite you. It is neutralized . I've gone through some small pines and high bush blueberries and see 3-5 ticks on me . Its actually entertaining to watch them scramble . After maybe 10-15 seconds they start lifting their legs like they are walking on hot coals . They scramble and fall off shortly afterwards. They will be dead within a couple hours ! . Its nice knowing you are a tick killing machine walking through the woods. LOL

One last thing I will warn you about if you are going to mix your own . Permethrin is scent free . But dont make the mistake of buying PETROLEUM BASED Permethrin !!!!!  Make sure you are buying the WATER BASED version or you are going to ruin your hunting clothes and smell like diesel fuel !!!   Any mix above the 10 percent is petroleum based . Some of the brands make the 10 percent in both petroleum based and water based. Make sure you get the right one ! 

Edited by SportsmanNH
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to try this but am worried about the smell. I use Sawyers because it dries scent free. Shoots100 called it a cover scent....has anyone ever been winded using this? I don't want to find out the hard way that my tick repellent is scaring my deer away...I am good enough at doing that on my own. 

17 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

I would like to try this but am worried about the smell. I use Sawyers because it dries scent free.

I just did up a batch of the home made and while I do not have the sophisticated nose power of a Deer I do not smell any difference between the Sawyers and the home mix. I let my stuff air dry outside on a clothes line and I can not detect either one.

Al

I buy the stuff from Tractor Supply, mix it and use it on my turkey hunting clothes.  My boots and pack (that I use deer hunting) I use Sawyers on.  It does smell and fairly strong. In fact this spring when I unpacked it all to re-spray, I was quite surprised how strongly it still smelled. (and wondered if I even needed to spray it again it smelled so strongly) 

If you want to hunt the wind where I hunt, you can just go back inside, because it aint happening, unless you want to spin in circles. :)

Edited by cas

• 3 weeks later...

I'm covered everyday head to toe in permethrin. Hope they don't find out later that its toxic/carcinogenic. I  use  the  commercial permethrin from tractor supply. Two things to remember: 1- If you are putting it out on deer hunting gear, give it several days to air out, outside in a breeze. the petroleum carrier will pretty much dissipate. 2- don't stress to much about getting the spray concentration exactly right. Mixing into a spray with water is to  just give you more uniform coverage. A couple of coats of spray to the point of the clothes being damp is about right. hen let the breeze dry the garments out.

• Like 2

On 7/23/2023 at 8:06 AM, airedale said:

I just did up a batch of the home made and while I do not have the sophisticated nose power of a Deer I do not smell any difference between the Sawyers and the home mix. I let my stuff air dry outside on a clothes line and I can not detect either one.

Al

Sry Al, haven't been here in a while. I will try it I guess. What have I got to lose but a monster buck lol