Recertified Handgun Permit

My calendar has a reminder showing me that my handgun permit is up for recertification the first of September so I went online to the recertification site and did what I had to do. I had quite a few updates I had to make but it went pretty smooth and without a hitch. With a concealed carry permit it is only good for three years before having to be done again. I do not know if a notification is sent out if you are coming due, I didn't get one so it is probably a good idea to check and find out what your due date is.

Al

Edited by airedale

1 hour ago, airedale said:

My calendar has a reminder showing me that my handgun permit is up for recertification the first of September so I went online to the recertification site and did what I had to do. I had quite a few updates I had to make but it went pretty smooth and without a hitch. With a concealed carry permit it is only good for three years before having to be done again. I do not know if a notification is sent out if you are coming due, I didn't get one so it is probably a good idea to check and find out what your due date is.

Al

I recertified last weekend. My “due” date  was 3/9/2024. Had been that date for years. I looked Sunday before i recertified and my date had been changed. The new “due” date was 09/01/2023. 
I heard they anyone over 3 years needs to recertify by 9/1/23 according to laws passed last year

4 hours ago, airedale said:

Al

Did mine back in June. They know exactly what gun one buys with all the registration crap.  Yet they continue to make us jump thru hoops on their demand. 

2 hours ago, First-light said:

How difficult is it to get a handgun permit these days. I always wanted one. I'm in Steuben county. 

It is not hard to get one, they make it time consuming with a lot of hoops to jump through to try and make it a pain in the ass hassle so you won't bother. I say go for it as handguns are a lot of fun for both target and hunting, I think it is well worth the effort.

Al

• Like 1

Go to your county sheriffs office. Can print form online.  Fill out all parts then call to schedule time to drop off at sheriffs office. A lot has changed since I got mine. Especially with the new changes that went into effect last year. Phone call to sheriffs office to check on the process might be best first step

• Like 1

8 hours ago, First-light said:

Hey guys where do I start the process, online, townhall?

Im in steuben county also its one of the easiest county's to get your full carry. Myself  , wife and son got ours awhile ago . I believe you still have to get 3 character references , but now you have to take a pistol course also and I've heard they fill up fast . Go to the steuben county clerks office in Bath and they will sell you the pistol permit application. $10 if i remember right .  The finger prints is the big expense , like $110 i think. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rob-c said:

Im in steuben county also its one of the easiest county's to get your full carry. Myself  , wife and son got ours awhile ago . I believe you still have to get 3 character references , but now you have to take a pistol course also and I've heard they fill up fast . Go to the steuben county clerks office in Bath and they will sell you the pistol permit application. $10 if i remember right .  The finger prints is the big expense , like $110 i think. 

Was finger printed to work at the schools was $100 bucks. maybe they can use the same one? Thanks

9 hours ago, First-light said:

Was finger printed to work at the schools was $100 bucks. maybe they can use the same one? Thanks

It would be nice, but they wont . I also had had my prints done before i went for my PP when i was a mechanic for the  school bus garage. 

• Like 1

This thread prompted me to check mine, it was due by 9/1/23! Good timing! Thanks for the reminder! A letter or email would be awful handy to get. I wonder what would actually happen if you just didn't do it/forgot?

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Nytracker said:

It hasn't even been a year . Do l need  to recertification again today ?

To be on the safe side you can log on to their website and put in your name and it will tell you when your new certification is due, that is what I did last spring and for me it was Sept 1st.

Al

• Like 1