Live From The Woods 2023-2024 Edition

landtracdeerhunter

We ripped around the whole PA property on the side by side and vacuumed out the blinds for gun season. Left pa at 3 pm, apparently this guy didn’t care. Ill be out in Ny tomorrow morning. Got a family lined up to take the next deer I get. By the way, their killing that rope “mock” scrape I made. 

IMG_2840.jpeg

• Like 4

Headed up in a few minutes.  Have not looked out the door to see what the weather is yet, but for the first time since Friday I don’t hear the wind chimes on our side porch.  

I did hear the town’s fire whistle going off this morning, and I always worry when I hear that sound. Especially after my ordeal 2 years ago this time of year almost to the day. 

So, good luck to those hunting this morning, and, stay safe! 

• Like 2

My son scored on a big wide 6 pt with 10 minutes of shooting time left. He only uses a compound bow and made a perfect double lung shot. We waited an hour and only had to follow the blood trail about 45 yds to make the recovery. And of course old Dad had to help drag him out lol.IMG_20231105_184032.thumb.jpg.00bad06dbf27d2383dfaf46bb232f70e.jpg

• Like 15

16 hours ago, New York Hillbilly said:

Headed up in a few minutes.  Have not looked out the door to see what the weather is yet, but for the first time since Friday I don’t hear the wind chimes on our side porch.  

I did hear the town’s fire whistle going off this morning, and I always worry when I hear that sound. Especially after my ordeal 2 years ago this time of year almost to the day. 

So, good luck to those hunting this morning, and, stay safe! 

I scared by that. I almost came back to my house last week. Made a fire and left for the stand. Heard the fire whistle go off and it made me pause. I shook it off! I hear you though. 

Edited by First-light

On 11/3/2023 at 10:26 AM, Doc said:

This winter I will be working on a  "whole-house inventory" for fire purposes and as a guide for my wife to price out my items for sale in the case of my passing. I have come to my guns, and am looking for a reliable source for the gun resale values.

Looking online, I have seen a bunch of sites that say they have gun values. They all are pay sites. I am wondering if any members here have ever used any of them, and do you have any recommendations as to those that are most reliable so that I do not subscribe to them and find out that they don't cover any or most of my guns?

I hit one tonight with crossbow. Just about to get down and here she comes. 10 yards perfect shot. Did not find her. Shot was a pass through. Found arrow with blood and hair. But at impact site there was just little drops of blood. I followed for twenty yard and found a spot here and there. She stood at one point and left a lot of blood but clots were in it. One speck after that and that was it. Thinking I hit her low in the chest no vitals. We looked for 2.5 hours and I'll look again tomorrow. Terrible luck this year with both bows. I shoot and practice just not coming together!

72108881014__4DF21466-C270-48DF-8CB6-73A9F13C2925.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, First-light said:

I hit one tonight with crossbow. Just about to get down and here she comes. 10 yards perfect shot. Did not find her. Shot was a pass through. Found arrow with blood and hair. But at impact site there was just little drops of blood. I followed for twenty yard and found a spot here and there. She stood at one point and left a lot of blood but clots were in it. One speck after that and that was it. Thinking I hit her low in the chest no vitals. We looked for 2.5 hours and I'll look again tomorrow. Terrible luck this year with both bows. I shoot and practice just not coming together!

Do you get buck fever and start shaking before the shot? 

Found the deer this morning. Had to be at work at 9:45 so I hunted to 7:45 and got down to look. Found nothing until 8:25. The deer was right next to the road. It was a perfect shot but being so close arrow went through one lung and out the stomach. Not once did I find stomach content in blood. I just got home from work and backtracked its path. Only blood was where it bedded or fell. Crazy shit. First pict is entrance. 

72114519783__1ACB630C-42D6-4AEB-909D-BEBE1DC56047.jpeg

72114520872__65050B05-C699-488D-870A-AA053E1FBF7C.jpeg

72116398342__E44ED32B-54E8-4008-B46C-AF2DAF3C1A0D.jpeg

Edited by First-light
  • Like 11

So, this year is my 41st bow season and I love it just as much now or more; definitely my favorite season and time of the year. But as I got older and after some shoulder injuries, and a shoulder surgery, this year was the toughest and sorest year I have ever had pulling back my bow. My Dr said that I need a full shoulder replacement but I'm trying to hold off on that. While bowhunting this year, I've seen a few and passed on some small bucks. Until last week, I finally had a mature 8Pt offer me a 10yd shot, following in a doe and my shoulder hurt so bad, I couldn't even pull my bow back on 3 tries. He eventually walked off with the doe having no idea I was there and all I could do was watch him walk away. Still a great close encounter but heartbreaking that my shoulder wouldn't allow me to pull my bow back. Next year I'm going to look at lowering poundage a little on the bow and try to time my cortizone shot better with bow season. Anyways, with my shoulder failing me, I took the rest of that week off from bowhunting to wait for the crossbow opener on Saturday. On Saturday, with about half an hour of light left, a different, smaller 8Pt offered me a 30 yd shot with the crossbow. I was able to collect my first ever crossbow harvest. 30Yd shot, double lunged, ran about 70 Yds and dropped. A decent 3.5 year old 8Pt. Love this time of year. Good luck all...Hunt safe, hunt hard, hunt ethically, and have fun out there!

20231104_191632.jpg

20231104_191140.jpg

20231104_191815.jpg

• Like 15

1 hour ago, JALA RUT said:

So, this year is my 41st bow season and I love it just as much now or more; definitely my favorite season and time of the year. But as I got older and after some shoulder injuries, and a shoulder surgery, this year was the toughest and sorest year I have ever had pulling back my bow. My Dr said that I need a full shoulder replacement but I'm trying to hold off on that. While bowhunting this year, I've seen a few and passed on some small bucks. Until last week, I finally had a mature 8Pt offer me a 10yd shot, following in a doe and my shoulder hurt so bad, I couldn't even pull my bow back on 3 tries. He eventually walked off with the doe having no idea I was there and all I could do was watch him walk away. Still a great close encounter but heartbreaking that my shoulder wouldn't allow me to pull my bow back. Next year I'm going to look at lowering poundage a little on the bow and try to time my cortizone shot better with bow season. Anyways, with my shoulder failing me, I took the rest of that week off from bowhunting to wait for the crossbow opener on Saturday. On Saturday, with about half an hour of light left, a different, smaller 8Pt offered me a 30 yd shot with the crossbow. I was able to collect my first ever crossbow harvest. 30Yd shot, double lunged, ran about 70 Yds and dropped. A decent 3.5 year old 8Pt. Love this time of year. Good luck all...Hunt safe, hunt hard, hunt ethically, and have fun out there!

20231104_191632.jpg

20231104_191140.jpg

20231104_191815.jpg

Good deal! I really hope full inclusion happens next year. Go to your doctor and fill out the form. Buddy's father down the road shot a dandy with xbow. He is disabled and I just loved he got the deer. Congrats and good luck with shoulder. Last night was my first with Xbow. 

• Like 4