Live From The Woods 2023-2024 Edition

landtracdeerhunter

24 minutes ago, Four Seasons said:

Funny part is that his forecast was pretty spot on. At the granddaughters basketball game and one of my cameras went off just showing enough that a deer moved when the rain stopped. Then no more. Lol

IMG_7066.png

I too came in when the rain started again. This gives my great comfort that I am now thinking like a deer, and it only took until my 48th deer season to accomplish. lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sitting in a literal trash heap.  Brushy island where they cross a lot over the years. Took a few from here and never remember to bring in the old chairs I sit on, or unfortunately one of my ground blinds I forgot and left out.  The blind is ripped all up and the little poles hanging loose.  So I have it rigged up with twine to saplings and the top held up with strands of electrical tape.   Haha.  What a pro! 

673D099D-F954-4107-A1CF-DD63A5D6F457.jpeg

• Like 4

A little after 4PM,  several deer rolled into the opposite side of where that picture I posted is pointed. If I had been in one of the 2 ladder stands I have set up overlooking that field I may have had a shot. But, in the "blind" I was in all I could do is watch them bound in circles in the chest high goldenrod chasing each other in the fog. One eventually made it way so close it must have got tipped off something was up, because blew/snorted so loud it made me jump. If I had my scoped rifle I may have had a deer, but I had the shotgun with a red dot. So no shots for me, but at least there were deer.

• Like 1

Ok folks I’m getting to throw a Hail Mary!
I got soaked to the skin crushing down golden rod with my wheeler, on the uphill side of my trash heap blind, where the deer were last night.  I’m snuggled into my ladder stand to get a much better view.  If they step out in the same place tonight I might be able to score.  

Good luck to you all out there in the rain this afternoon.   

• Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 8:28 AM, landtracdeerhunter said:

Your entitled to your opinion. I strongly disagree with it, however.

Why do you think it was shed -vs- broke off? 

My son found an antler this past weekend with part of the skull attached to it.  It's amazing what kind of force these deer can endure to literally snap off a piece of their skull and then move around seemingly like nothing has happened.  Unfortunately, this deer is likely going to die from a brain abscess unless someone is able to take him before the end of season.

IMG_3630.JPG.d5d83c9cc9f05608798c819bc8978a1c.JPG

IMG_3626.thumb.jpg.588907d47238e1525f765ef54a7520ad.jpg

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, escpen said:

Why do you think it was shed -vs- broke off? 

My son found an antler this past weekend with part of the skull attached to it.  It's amazing what kind of force these deer can endure to literally snap off a piece of their skull and then move around seemingly like nothing has happened.  Unfortunately, this deer is likely going to die from a brain abscess unless someone is able to take him before the end of season.

IMG_3630.JPG.d5d83c9cc9f05608798c819bc8978a1c.JPG

IMG_3626.thumb.jpg.588907d47238e1525f765ef54a7520ad.jpg

If you check my original post, I said tossed one off.  We have had deer lose antlers after harvest in shed fashion, for one reason or another.  Also have found antlers with pieces of skull attach.

Good luck in your search for the other side.

Saw piles of deer sat in pa, 11 doe and fawns, small bucks. All the guys were out in stands on the other side of property when they shoulda been cabin hunting lol. Will be out fri and sun in NY. Unless my son wants to hunt pa Friday, he still has a buck tag.

What an afternoon. I get to my stand at 3:30 wind , temps were perfect. I hear a shot not too far away. Sounded like it was on my property. My neighbor gets back to me that there was a button buck in my corn field with the ass eaten out of it. Just standing there shaking. Seems like the yotes got this deer but didn't finish the process. Guys it was gross what I saw. He put the deer down. A good thing. So about 4:15 to my right I see two large deer. I have no idea if they were two bucks or a buck locked onto a doe. All I know is the buck started heading my way. It was a real nice 10 pt. Shooter goes off in my mind. I think that second deer was another buck but I never saw horns. So here he comes at 30 yards slight quarter to. I put a slug through the front shoulder and it exits through ribs. He goes down in front plowing up the leaves. I knew I had a good hit but he got out of sight. I get down and head for where I last saw him. Took a few minutes but I found him. Beautiful 10 pt. One tine was sligfhtkly broken and he had a scar on the upper part of nose. I thought that this could of been the buck that My neighbor and I hit opening day. Upon looking at the deer the back hoof was shot off. It was dangling and he was walking on bone. My neighbor and I agreed the buck on opening day was much bigger.  I was thrilled to get this deer this late in season. 5 seconds before I shot this deer my brother texted. Telling me to shoot a big one so you can spend more time with your girlfriend! It worked!!!! Enjoy the picts. 

IMG_4770.jpeg

IMG_4776.jpeg

IMG_4772.jpeg

• Like 22

38 minutes ago, First-light said:

What an afternoon. I get to my stand at 3:30 wind , temps were perfect. I hear a shot not too far away. Sounded like it was on my property. My neighbor gets back to me that there was a button buck in my corn field with the ass eaten out of it. Just standing there shaking. Seems like the yotes got this deer but didn't finish the process. Guys it was gross what I saw. He put the deer down. A good thing. So about 4:15 to my right I see two large deer. I have no idea if they were two bucks or a buck locked onto a doe. All I know is the buck started heading my way. It was a real nice 10 pt. Shooter goes off in my mind. I think that second deer was another buck but I never saw horns. So here he comes at 30 yards slight quarter to. I put a slug through the front shoulder and it exits through ribs. He goes down in front plowing up the leaves. I knew I had a good hit but he got out of sight. I get down and head for where I last saw him. Took a few minutes but I found him. Beautiful 10 pt. One tine was sligfhtkly broken and he had a scar on the upper part of nose. I thought that this could of been the buck that My neighbor and I hit opening day. Upon looking at the deer the back hoof was shot off. It was dangling and he was walking on bone. My neighbor and I agreed the buck on opening day was much bigger.  I was thrilled to get this deer this late in season. 5 seconds before I shot this deer my brother texted. Telling me to shoot a big one so you can spend more time with your girlfriend! It worked!!!! Enjoy the picts. 

IMG_4770.jpeg

IMG_4776.jpeg

IMG_4772.jpeg

Great late season buck. Grat’s’!!!

• Like 2

Thanks guys! I'm blessed with such great hunting property and good neighbors. I will do a Euro mount on this one. Last count there have been 15 buck and 10 doe killed this season between the neighbors. My camp has 4 buck 2 doe in that count. Here are the big three we got. 2 and 3 out of the same stand along with 2 doe. First picture was from a stand 100 yards away. 

IMG_2877.jpeg

IMG_2878.jpeg

IMG_2879.jpg

Edited by First-light
  • Like 9