Live From The Woods 2023-2024 Edition

landtracdeerhunter

Tuesday afternoon sit would have been perfect, without the snow on the ground. Had a good size doe come out to the corn, well out of my range. Right at quiting time, five young ones came out of the brush at bow range,  crossed one at a time to the corn.

Looking to hunt first time between 26th and the 1st. Will have to check the hunting guide, see what can be used.

• Like 3

The new season provides an additional seven days of late season hunting with bows and muzzleloaders. Hunters must purchase a bowhunting or muzzleloading privilege to participate in the late bow or muzzleloader seasons and may use all deer carcass tags valid during those seasons.

From DEC website. 

• Like 5

On 12/21/2023 at 8:28 AM, Hock3y24 said:

I just ordered a MZ online, what are the chances it will actually show up to my door lol. Taking a gamble. Got next day air ship so it would arrive tomorrow if it does at all and they don't catch it. 

Thought you could ship them from being bought online? 

• Like 1

A muzzleloader is considered a firearm. It would have been shipped to a FFL, in my opinion.

Since when? The September 2023 law mentioned above? I wasn’t aware of this - guess I need to educate myself on it!

I’ve previously had muzzleloaders shipped directly to my door, but that was several years back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Muzzleloader delivered to my house yesterday, sighted in today. Nys law supposed to go to ffl but federal law it’s not even a firearm. 

Is that a recently passed law as mentioned above? Does anyone have a link to it?

I have myself purchased muzzleloaders and had them shipped to me with no problem. The exceptions are gun  frames that can be interchanged with regular cartridge barrels like the Thompson Center Encores and some CVA muzzleloading rifles. Those have to be purchased the same as a modern firearm through an FFL holder along with the background checks. 

Al

• Like 1

2 hours ago, airedale said:

I have myself purchased muzzleloaders and had them shipped to me with no problem. The exceptions are gun  frames that can be interchanged with regular cartridge barrels like the Thompson Center Encores and some CVA muzzleloading rifles. Those have to be purchased the same as a modern firearm through an FFL holder along with the background checks. 

Al

What about muzzleloader reload accessories?

3 hours ago, escpen said:

Is that a recently passed law as mentioned above? Does anyone have a link to it?

NY S51001

First, the state redefines ‘rifle’ and ‘shotgun’ to not only include “common, modern” firearms, but also muzzle loading, flintlock, and black powder varieties. Typically excluded due to their outdated designs and limited use – especially in crimes and gun violence – the bill ensures transactions involving firearms of all types are protected by a background check.

NY penal law 265- definition of a rifle.  11. "Rifle" means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and
intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and
made or remade to use the energy of the explosive to fire only a single
projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger
using either: (a) fixed metallic cartridge; or (b) each projectile and
explosive charge are loaded individually for each shot discharged. In
addition to common, modern usage, rifles include those using obsolete
ammunition not commonly available in commercial trade, or that load
through the muzzle and fire a single projectile with each discharge, or
loading, including muzzle loading rifles, flintlock rifles, and black
powder rifles.

Nys NICS page states - 

• More information will be provided in the upcoming weeks regarding a new mechanism for processing background checks for Muzzleloader sales.

As of right now theirs no Legal way to do a NICS check on a muzzleloader since its not federally a firearm, and it appears NYS has no clue how to do it either. If someone enters the MZ as a rifle, that it also an illegal use of NICS system. 

Edited by Hock3y24
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I was just the slightest bit relieved that no deer showed up today.  I’d prefer not to have to fire up my deer fridge in late December to properly age a carcass.  The forecast is showing no more 50’s in the forecast after today.  It looks like good, skin-on hanging weather, in our insulated garage, for the rest of the Holiday season.  

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

As previously mentioned, it was a fantastic day to be in the woods. Very slight but consistent breeze, wet but not too cold. I couldn't believe how quiet it was.

Made my way to a bench overlooking an oak flat this morning. Stateland. Fresh sign everywhere and even a couple freshened up scrapes. Unfortunately the only deer I saw all day was in the dark on the car ride to hunt lol. 

I usually only hit this spot during the late season. Hadn't been there since this time last year. Some changes happening there. New resident beaver(s). 

20231226_084003_copy_756x1008.thumb.jpg.e7f2d7c33d1787a1d90138c97789734d.jpg

20231226_085609_copy_1008x756.thumb.jpg.47107f68b9d27815bf549a7de38a4ae7.jpg

I think he was a little overconfident on this one lol.

20231226_085713_copy_756x1008.thumb.jpg.ae8cdcabeffba9a158ee6165fb8a049f.jpg

And something I'd never seen before, a triple trunk cherry tree. And the trunks were all very straight. Interesting I thought.

20231226_093955_copy_756x1008.thumb.jpg.dccd502656e66a54bb03b742da16886a.jpg

Planning one more hunt on 1.1 if the weather is decent. We'll see.

• Like 4