Stealing hunting spots is low

Slickbowht

Bad end to my day in the woods . I got out to my truck to find a note from the home owner on my wind shield. Well to make a long story short. I Lost my favorite hunting spot in westchester tonight !!!!! I've been there 10 years with exclusive rights to hunt and never had a problem, this suxxxx . Evidently another hunter told the home owner that she had bad coyote problems. He offerd to trap them for her in exchange for my deer hunting spot . Hunter shouldn't do that to one another ....,wait till I find him!!!

While I can agree that it is unfortunate, I can't classify it as theft. After all, it's her land and her prerogative to do as she sees fit. I'm not sure if you can blame the trapper either, he/she may be unaware of your previous agreement with the landowner.

• Like 3

How social are you with the property owner? (Hang out together or taking him/her out to dinner once in a while?) Apparently not much, the other guy was able to shmooze them more than you. I know this is a low blow but the property owner is the guy who calls the shots, make sure they like you and you stay close to them. In the last 10 years how many Thank You notes did you send them? A Christmas card? free steaks? It is a relationship game and one should treat it as such. Sorry that you lost your spot, go back and talk to him/her, tell them you can trap too... just a thought....

• Like 2

It's a give and take situation. I don't know the details of your agreement, but this can be a good lesson to new hunters. Sometimes a few weekends per year helping with chores is enough to keep the landowners happy, others might want a little cash kicked their way. What ever you're doing, it's always a good idea to kick it up a notch and assure them that you're willing to help out whenever. To put it simply, just show your appreciation.

• Like 2

How social are you with the property owner? (Hang out together or taking him/her out to dinner once in a while?) Apparently not much, the other guy was able to shmooze them more than you. I know this is a low blow but the property owner is the guy who calls the shots, make sure they like you and you stay close to them. In the last 10 years how many Thank You notes did you send them? A Christmas card? free steaks? It is a relationship game and one should treat it as such. Sorry that you lost your spot, go back and talk to him/her, tell them you can trap too... just a thought....

So true, a case of beer and some Omaha steaks can go a long way at Christmas time. If they left a note on your car rather than coming to talk with you directly after 10 years makes me think that you didn't associate with them much. I don't know the details of your situation though.

I assume that there is not a big coyote problem…. If not then go talk to the home owner. Let her know that this little prick purposely lied to her and ruined the good relationship the owner and you had. Let the owner know what a dishonest person she is dealing with.

Confirm with owner the note was from them. People are sneaky...

Oddly enough, a friend of mine is going through this right now. He received a certified letter at his house, signature required, saying the landowner was terminating his hunting rights. He figured something was fishy when he looked closely and saw a computer generated signature, so he called the landowner, who denied sending the letter. This is going to get mighty uncomfortable when he runs into the guy who really sent the letter to his house.... :taunt:

I know the home owner well enough . Very very wealthy people who didn't have much to say to a man in face paint and camo !I had offerd venison many times And the note was to call, that's when I got the bad news. In going to call her back today and mention that the "trapper/deer hunter" is going to prob get niebors cats and dogs also when trapping.

Edited by Slickbowht

I know the home owner well enough . Very very wealthy people who didn't have much to say to a man in face paint and camp ! I had offerd venison many times And the note was to call, that's when I got the bad news. In going to call her back today and mention that the "trapper/deer hunter" is going to prob get niebors cats and dogs also when trapping.

You might want to take a different approach, like safety and maybe mention the latter lightly.  Like a 10 year spotless safety record, respect for the land, etc etc. 

• Like 2

I know the home owner well enough . Very very wealthy people who didn't have much to say to a man in face paint and camp ! I had offerd venison many times And the note was to call, that's when I got the bad news. In going to call her back today and mention that the "trapper/deer hunter" is going to prob get niebors cats and dogs also when trapping.

I agree with burmjohn, take a different approach. You dont want to shoot yourself in the foot for future possibilities.

Maybe offer something other than venison as an appreciatory gift. A bottle of wine or something like that maybe. Not everyone likes venison. Even if you dont get access back this year, send the gift for Christmas or something and try again next year.

It sucks I get it , but he did not steal your anything as you did not own it. You had a nice ten year ride for next to nothing , he out bid you this year .

Been there myself , there are guys I lost out to who will pay the property tax to hunt . The farm I've been on for 25 years had a guy remodel a bathroom for free just to hunt !

Some deer meat or a bottle of wine won't get you much when land is pushing 6 k an acre

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 3

You gotta take care of the landowners! consider it customer service.The people who own properties i hunt free, get a big bag of processed venison, salmon, and a few i take out actually salmon fishing. I also make an effort to get to know the neighbors. Im bringing venison to 2 property owners on land adjacent to wha i hunt this year that i dont even have permission to hunt their land.(yet).  

Definitely sucks to lose it mid season, but with a little legwork, you may be able to find some new land for the rut

• Like 1

Not gonna make this a winded out story....

Used to have a spot in Summit we hunted. Took a lot of deer off this land. The jerk ( my sisters boyfriend/hubbu/w;e ) that taught me to hunt had started doing some things I wanted no part of. So, I stopped hunting the whole Summit area for a couple years.

Now, just so you know, whenever possible, I start my scouting in May.

Decided to head out there. Got to the land, knowcked on the door, and a young woman answered, letting me know that her father had passed on, and they were not allowing anyone to hunt the land anymore due to someone setting a camp in the ld house that sat in the middle of the apple orchard. I thought."Hmmmmm".

So, I decided to stop by another area. The owner said I could hunt the land if I would pop in once a onth and help out with some farming duty. So, I spent time one day every weekend a month helping stack hey, cleat the troths, and even shovel cow poop.

Thanksgiving weekend I took a nice little 4, and once we got it in the trunk of the car, I took the heart, liver, and the backbone tenderloins to the mas door. He was happy as can be. Up untill about 7 years ago, even though I wasn't hunting at the time, I sent X-Mas cards to him. When I got a letter back saying he had passed, and they were selling the land and the farm, I stopped sending the cards.

You have to treat the land owners with a high amounf of respect, and maybe go out a little to keep up good relations.

Also, after reading this thread 2x, you never did answer if there really was a coyote issue.

No yote problem at all and i would never bash a trapper. He just ********* his way in there. If he traps at all for them he is going to all niebors dogs and cats too ....

Edited by WNYBuckHunter
eddited inappropriate language, please see forum TOS

Rather than that I would just go for the understanding but disappointed route.  Tell them that you were disappointed to hear of their decision but you understand that it is THEIR decision.  Then talk about the possibility of what you could do to earn your spot back.  I'm sure they would be more receptive to you acknowledging that it is their land and they were doing you a favor by letting you hunt there all these years.  

I'm just spitballing about what I would be most receptive to if I was the landowner.  Coming in and telling me I made a poor decision or in essence "you'll be sorry" would just make me more likely to send you packing.