Who Is Ready For Crossbow Season In Southern Zone?

landtracdeerhunter

Last year was a first for crossbow for me. I liked it ,but had far to many projects that needed tending to, so hunting had to take the back seat. I now fresh off the gilly tending and ready to give it full pursuit. 

Good luck to all hunting these addicting whitetails. May you bows be cocked and your arrows fly true.

• Like 3

I can’t wait.  I’m torn between  hoping that our daughter advances thru the college field hockey playoffs, or gets eliminated in the first round tomorrow night.  Her playoffs have cost me most of the last (4) crossbow seasons.  

Either way, I’ll be out there for a few hours Saturday morning. That will be all day, if need be, if she looses tomorrow.  The rut looks like it’s going to be just about peaked on that day.

I just picked up (2) extra wmu 9F dmp permits today and I’m not going to be fussy with those.  The first antlerless deer, that offers me a good shot, is going to get one from me.  

An antlered buck is going to need to be clearly 2.5 years old or older, or have at least (4) points on a side.  There’s at least one, meeting those criteria, hanging around both of my local spots.  My odds are probably best for DD-10, here at home.  
78473486-0772-4817-B529-EE7BA88C735E.thumb.jpeg.f93963606507a1ecd3bb787b36a039a9.jpeg

Not sure if his Timothy hay feeding pattern will hold, from this day in mid-September, but if it does I’ll be there with my crossbow.  

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, First-light said:

I am cause I missed three times this year with compound! lol will be my first year and I'm dialed in for 60 yards. Not that I would take that shot but just saying. 

Good luck. I am far steadier with a crossbow, then recurve, and can make a more accurate shot.  I like the idea  of aim and fire too.

13 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I can’t wait.  I’m torn between  hoping that our daughter advances thru the college field hockey playoffs, or gets eliminated in the first round tomorrow night.  Her playoffs have cost me most of the last (4) crossbow seasons.  

Either way, I’ll be out there for a few hours Saturday morning. That will be all day, if need be, if she looses tomorrow.  The rut looks like it’s going to be just about peaked on that day.

I just picked up (2) extra wmu 9F dmp permits today and I’m not going to be fussy with those.  The first antlerless deer, that offers me a good shot, is going to get one from me.  

An antlered buck is going to need to be clearly 2.5 years old or older, or have at least (4) points on a side.  There’s at least one, meeting those criteria, hanging around both of my local spots.  My odds are probably best for DD-10, here at home.  
78473486-0772-4817-B529-EE7BA88C735E.thumb.jpeg.f93963606507a1ecd3bb787b36a039a9.jpeg

Not sure if his Timothy hay feeding pattern will hold, from this day in mid-September, but if it does I’ll be there with my crossbow.  

Their back on clover, since the freezes here.

• Like 1

Our daughter’s team won their first round college playoff field hockey game tonight, so no all day crossbow hunt for me Saturday.   Hopefully, that will be a later game, but they don’t know the start time yet.  

I will need a little time to get a deer skinned and into the deer fridge, after the morning hunt, because it looks like it’s going to be a little warmer over the weekend.  

• Like 1

Daughter’s game is at 2:00 pm, so I can hunt till 11:30 or so.  If I get one late, we might be a little late to the game.  The deer skin pretty fast when warm though, and I should be able to have one skinned, cut in half, and in the fridge in about 45 minutes.  Its about an hour’s drive to the stadium.  

Just about ready to start getting my stuff ready.  I showered with scent free soap this morning and used scent free deoderant.  I will wear my ScentFactor Jacket and treat my boot heels with Evercalm, every 200 yards or so, on my walk to the new tree blind on the front corner of our woods. I’ll also have a quart of hot cider for hydration, nourishment, cover scent, and deer attractant.  

I don’t care what the wind direction is, for that morning hunt, because that stand is up about 9 feet and the morning thermals should carry my scent up and out of play when I’m in it.  If it’s from the south, west, or south west, I’ll walk in from the house. If it’s from the north, east, or north east, I’ll drive my field car (Durango), to the south west corner (about 300 yards away from the stand)  one hour before sunrise, and approach on foot from there.   

I’m going with my CP Sniper crossbow tomorrow morning. I’m taking my laser range finder to check range to various landmarks so I know which of the (4) crosshairs to use.  It will be interesting to see how that stock factory scope does in low light conditions.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

Last year was my first with the crossbow as well. Would like it more if we had an early muzzleloader season in the SZ. Typed that as I sit in the woods with a crossbow.

I agree with that.  The crossbow is way better than the vertical bow, but not nearly as nice as the ML.  I’m not afraid to use a grunt call or rattle with my ML, because it fires a supersonic projectile.  

I want any deer that I shoot at with my bow or crossbow to be completely relaxed when my arrow strikes it.  Any deer that responds to a grunt call or Rattling comes in fully alert.  

The ML also gives you the option of the DRT shoulder blade shot, which is especially nice on rainy days, like today, or 1/2 hour past sunset.  

2 hours ago, mowin said:

I'm sidelined..  limb started splitting while on stand. Ended up shooting that 8pt, but scared to cock the thing. Supposed to have new limbs coming. 

IMG_20231025_152437603.jpg

Holy crap! How common a problem is this? I have a Centerpoint also, and now I'm going to be on the edge of my seat worrying about my safety.

On 11/4/2023 at 2:47 PM, New York Hillbilly said:

Holy crap! How common a problem is this? I have a Centerpoint also, and now I'm going to be on the edge of my seat worrying about my safety.

From what I reading on other forums, it's very common, especially with the higher 400 fps and faster xbows.  Mines a patriot 425.