Live From The Woods 2024 Turkey Edition

DirtTime

The 2024 Spring Turkey Season is almost here. Post up those live from the woods pictures and reports. Maybe @fasteddie would be so kind as to pin this?

Got the turkey chokes on the shotguns and plan to pattern Wednesday.

Good luck out there, everyone. Be safe and shoot straight.

• fasteddie pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

No gobbles but a few deer passed by. First hunt of any kind since moving to the new area.

Good luck too anyone else out here this morning.

Edited by DirtTime
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I had a hen at  10 yards of my decoys , but not Toms behind her. I did hear lots of gobbling. I did notice that there was a lots of pressure around me. Crazy because  I would expect that on Saturday but not on Wednesday. Congrats to those who punched thier tag. 

Edited by WWJD_Hunter
  • Like 1

I had 7 deer come by the decoys. A button buck spent a half hour trying to figure them out. After they left a tom with three hens came across the corn field. I shot at 40 yards. 3" nitro shot. Hens flew off but the Tom did not follow and flew off in another direction. I looked for 2 hrs but found nothing. Had 5 jakes going crazy an hour later but could't get close enough. It was a good morning!

• Like 1

At it again. The birds were nonexistent in my area yesterday and no gobbles so far again this morning. Off work until May 7 and still so nice to be out here watching the woods wake up.

• Like 2

I had a Tom walk up the clover field gobbling around 6 PM last night. Crossed the road and my corn field. Let out the dogs at 6:30 and he blowing up in my field. I'll hunt tomorrow. Good luck guys!

Day 4 tried a different spot with my cousin...same results, no birds heard. Ended our day short, getting down poured on by 9:30. Day off Sunday for a couple BD parties and out this morning again st my place before back to work tomorrow. So far, rain is holding off, it's foggy, and a deer just walked by with some geese sounding off in the background on the pond, as morning starts. No gobblimg so far, but a beautiful morning out here. Hopefully a gobbler decides to cooperate today. Good luck to all out there this morning.

• Like 1

Can't kill them from the living room. 7:45 dogs looking out window barking. I come over and there is that Tom I shot at opening day with his three hens. About 40 yards away walking up to my cut corn. He is a nice bird for sure. 

• Like 1

Back off work today and out again. Beautiful morning. The woods are already greened up like it's the end of May. Let's see if any gobblers will cooperate this morning. Good luck to all out there today.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Redemption Jake. First week of May , I was chasing some birds and on the third day I had a Tom come snuck up on me . I wasn’t able to shoot him at ten yards , so I let him go away pick up my gun to shoot and I hit a tree. Today I came up to my family farm and 3 turkeys were gobbling their heads of across the road. I  Yelp at them from across the road and about 30 minutes I hear a gobble on the side I was. I move to the field edge and call , but nothing responded. As I was getting to ready to move, I looked into the field and their stood two Jake’s. I call to them and they came my way and I blasted one of the Jake’s at 15 yards. I think these birds ended up crossing the road to my calls.  These turkeys seem very lonely the second week of May. God  always gets the glory. Sorry guys for the long story. 

IMG_9173.jpeg

IMG_9174.jpeg

IMG_9175.jpeg

Edited by WWJD_Hunter
  • Like 4