Getting Discouraged

WingNut

Hunt smarter ,not harder.

I used to "have" to go every chance I had ,which are a lot. I burned out myself and my spots.

I sit out many times now, I only do one end of the day this early , I have a few stands I have not sat in and some only once. To windy, I sleep in,to warm same thing. By going just the " better" times my deer per sit has gone way up.

Were just knocking on the door of great hunting,relax,take a break,recharge ,come back strong!

• Like 1

I am hearing good reports of movement on LI! Take a brake but get ready for some action because as far as I am concerned the rut has just started on LI.  These next few days should be interesting!  Think a sick day is in order! 

My buddy has been hunting hard and its his first year and he was getting depressed over no sightings with plenty of sign.  Today he had a bunch of action even though some of it was in the dark, lol. 

If you are hunting up north based on your location I would think next week it should start.  I would take it easy this weekend and plan EVERYTHING for the following week.  By easy I don't mean do not hunt just not all day, go early and late and try to scout for the following week.  Sometimes you get lucky doing this prep/scouting, good luck and keep at it!!! 

Edited by NFA-ADK

I try to hang in there until 11:00 or so then break from lunch and decide on rest the day's approach.

If close to home, I will go home to eat.  Otherwise I will eat a packed lunch sitting back in the vehicle, or if planned an all day, move off good 15 minutes or so of a hike to eat away from hunting spot to avoid food smells that may warn off the deer (like nice warm soup on a cold day).

If on public land, I will scout an area that I haven't yet explored for additional spots/options in the afternoon if the morning hunt did not seem to be a productive area.  Never know where you will find a rub line.

Hunt smarter ,not harder.

I used to "have" to go every chance I had ,which are a lot. I burned out myself and my spots.

I sit out many times now, I only do one end of the day this early , I have a few stands I have not sat in and some only once. To windy, I sleep in,to warm same thing. By going just the " better" times my deer per sit has gone way up.

Were just knocking on the door of great hunting,relax,take a break,recharge ,come back strong!

Could not agree more! Hanging in there is one thing, but often being out of the woods pays huge dividends by hunting selectively. In my opinion, this gives those bucks you see on your trail cams a chance to be comfortable during daylight hours because you've not burned the area. Hunting as much as many do, and they get educated mighty quick. 

Hey Bud!  I wasn't going to reply to this topic but I must.

Do not be discouraged, as everyone states the best time is just arriving.  Also, you said warm weather bothers you, it bothers most of us but it didn't bother the 10 point my buddy shot yesterday morning at 57 degrees.  Keep getting out there.

I have only hunted 3x this year so far.  Trying to be a good husband and Dad.  I'm giving my wife these weekends so I can be down at camp when I think I will have my best chance at some sightings.  Make sure to hunt the 5 days after full moon which falls on Nov. 6th.  It will begin to heat up (no pun intended).  Some deer/car collisions but not too many just yet.  Increase is coming and very soon at that.

Good Luck and keep head up!!!

I've experienced the "slow down" that seems to happen most years in mid october.  Call it a lull or not, I can only tell you what I see.  And I do not overhunt stands. and I always hunt with the wind in my favor. and I scout and try different impromtu set ups. Past few times out I've seen a few deer but its been slow.  Got a bunch of Vaca time coming up here and I hope it picks up.  Cold snap should be interesting.

This is funny,I just reread my posts.....

Since I wrote them a few days ago, I'm burnt out and discouraged . Been hunting a lot both ends of the last few days,that's down and back in the ,morning then again in the afternoon,about 3hours a day of driving.

Saw ton of deer passed many young bucks,saw some shooters,that's better them some I know.

Driving,getting gas,washing clothes,tired all the time.

Then my last two times nothing. I taking today off,hunt tomorrow AM. Then out of town till Sunday night.

I hope I can take my own advise!

I am getting annoyed with the weather. I can generally only hunt Sunday mornings because of work and my daughters Saturday soccer games. Every Sunday morning has been windy. This past Sunday was crazy windy. I have seen deer but it sure makes for a miserable sit and Sunday seemed like a dangerous sit. Then Monday comes along, go out to leave for work and not a breath of wind. Same this morning....

We didn't have a soccer game this Saturday so I was out there and it was windy. Sunday was even windier but I saw 10 doe a 4pt, and a gobbler ( he was going crazy with all the wind) all before 7:15am. It was down right chilly too. It is only just beginning so get out there and make it happen.

Moon doesnt matter, get out there and hunt.

Can't shoot one from the couch or in my case the office in NYC. Every minute my dad spends in the woods while I work gives him the advantage of shooting one before me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thing is you have to know the area you are hunting as when and where the deer are moving to bedding areas in the morning and out of them in the afternoon, unless they are pushed by other hunters, if other hunters are in the area just sit tight they will most likley will get up an  move just before noon ( they are either hungry or bored from not seeing anything).Let them push the deer around for you.If the deer know you are there now it becomes a waiting game to see who can sit tight the longest and most of the time they will out sit you.