Superstitions

rotorooter23

I use to carry around the empty shell from my first successful rabbit hunt with my grandfather. 

It didn't seem work after the foxes moved onto the old family farm and did a number on the rabbits.  I think that shell is still around in a box somewhere, 5 moves later.  Question would be is which empty .410 casing is it that this point.  I dropped my empties from other hunts into the same pocket that case was in, so I just dumped them all into drawer back when I was in high school.

I have my grandfather's old 10X field coat. Tried squirrel hunting for the first time last year without success.  Got my first squirrel wearing it a couple weeks ago (I don't normally wear his field coat, but it was too warm for my insulated jacket).  Maybe that will be my lucky warm weather squirrel coat (not insulated for cold hunts, or large enough to really layer up).  He died ~ 30 years ago when I was a junior in high school.  Still miss him every hunting season.

I know it is right-time and right-place to see the game, and some skill in making the shot.  Having something that you feel boosts your confidence (or gives luck) is not a bad thing.  Feeling dependent on it is another story. Glad that is not the case with me.

• Like 1

Whenever I find trash in the woods, cig butts, cans, candy wrappers, etc., I always pick it up.  If I pass something knowingly, I always turn around and go back and get it.  I always think the man upstairs will appreciate having his carpet cleaned and send a buck my way.  I always seem to get at least one deer a year with that practice.

Edited by skeets716
  • Like 4

I carry around my grandfather's compass on a chain with my dog tags. I remember it like it was yesterday when he taught me how to use it when I was 6. Almost 45 years ago. 

I also carry around the bones from the leg of a huge tug hill buck I shot over 25 years ago. It's not often you find a scrape and rub line in Montague area and I hunted this guy hard for weeks. Finally I saw him checking his scrapes almost 100 yards out at about 2 o'clock. I could not get a clean shot and after 20 minutes he was closing in on me. He was about 40 yards away and his head had cleared the real scrubby stuff but his body was blocked by small bushes, when he stopped and looked right at me. I had the shakes and I shot. He took off. I found blood and waited.

After an hour my brother in law and I got on him and I found the bones. We went forever and at one point had him surrounded but he was dead between us so we could not shoot.  Then we came up on the fork in the river and we knew we were in trouble. We were 10 miles from camp and it was getting dark. Even worse, there was big snows coming that night. 

We got back at 11 PM and my father in law was pretty upset. We went back the next day and looked in the snow and he took off. Somebody shot him the following week. His front left leg was gone. 

I carry those soup bones as a reminder still. 

Lastly, I carry 2 flat stones that were handed out at the funeral of a close friend and hunting buddy who died in his 30's from cancer.  We were told to skip the stones and think of him as the ripples reached out.

All those are more sentimental than superstitious. I do know one thing, many a deer have been very close to all three of those things when I drop my pack by them  

I have goodluck carrying a firearm that is new, or new to me. First sit with my .308 I got my first buck. I carried my brothers .243 wssm for the first time and shot a buck at 300 yards. Got my muzzle loader and killed three deer within the first three sits (spread out over two different seasons). First trip out with my .25-06 I got a buck on Thanksgiving day afternoon ("the deer that ruined thanksgiving"). Within the first few sits with my new bow I bagged a buck. Basically the majority of my deer came with a new to me firearm.

I have goodluck carrying a firearm that is new, or new to me. First sit with my .308 I got my first buck. I carried my brothers .243 wssm for the first time and shot a buck at 300 yards. Got my muzzle loader and killed three deer within the first three sits (spread out over two different seasons). First trip out with my .25-06 I got a buck on Thanksgiving day afternoon ("the deer that ruined thanksgiving"). Within the first few sits with my new bow I bagged a buck. Basically the majority of my deer came with a new to me firearm.

Ouch! Don't let your girl know that or she's gonna put the kibosh to your hunting! :P
  • Like 1

Ouch! Don't let your girl know that or she's gonna put the kibosh to your hunting! :P

Actually I was going to get a Savage 111 in .270 just on a whim, when we were at dick's a month ago and she actually encouraged it. She said "oh ok"... then I looked around and said "you are talking to me right?!"... (I worked 80 PLUS hours a week all summer so she knew better than to say no!! lol). FYI My license has a po box on it, not my physical address, so I couldn't purchase it. I went to the dmv in the mall to have my physical address put on it and they said that is the address where they would send the new license... which means I wouldn't get it since I can't get my mail delivered here. Anyway, we are moving now so I can change my address on my license now.

Mine is when I forget to take my knife with me lol.  Seems when I forget it Im succesful, yet when I have it Im going home with all my tags in my pocket.  Heck I have bought so many knives from forgetting one you think they would be falling out of the truck on the ground when I open the door, but nope I can never seem to find one when I need it.  I have tried forgetting one on purpose but that doesnt work either.  I have to literly just plain forget it not pretend too. LMAO

Edited by wdswtr
  • Like 1